Why does it feel impossible to find a nice livery yard near me !

Mary3050

Visit site
Hi guys ,
More of a rant than asking for advice . I am desperately trying to find a new yard for my horses but it just feels impossible. I am in the process of selling my house to get a bigger property to keep all my horse at home on but it’s a long process . I was planning to wait it out at my current yard which has so so so many issues it needs a whole post of its own ! But delays with the house situation and worsening situation at the current yard mean I am desperate to move .

But I have been looking desperately for the last 3 months and I can’t find anything suitable. Everything I look at can’t accommodate my special needs pony he has resitricted turnout or can’t accommodate individual turnout. All the yard that can don’t seem to have a useable school . With out travelling over 40 mins each way I don’t know what to do !

TwoForTwo

Visit site
Hi guys ,
More of a rant than asking for advice . I am desperately trying to find a new yard for my horses but it just feels impossible. I am in the process of selling my house to get a bigger property to keep all my horse at home on but it’s a long process . I was planning to wait it out at my current yard which has so so so many issues it needs a whole post of its own ! But delays with the house situation and worsening situation at the current yard mean I am desperate to move .

But I have been looking desperately for the last 3 months and I can’t find anything suitable. Everything I look at can’t accommodate my special needs pony he has resitricted turnout or can’t accommodate individual turnout. All the yard that can don’t seem to have a useable school . With out travelling over 40 mins each way I don’t know what to do !
What area are you in? Pm me if you like

Flicker

Visit site
I would have thought most yards would be able to accommodate restricted turnout, but I know my yard would struggle with individual turnout as they simply do not have enough fields. Livery yards mostly have a model where they cater to general wellbeing needs of the majority of horses and those owners with horses who have very special requirements may need to either put additional measures in place or adjust their expectations a bit.
So, for example, I had a horse who needed restricted turnout in summer because the grass was so rich even with a track system. I paid someone to bring her in at midday because the yard wasn’t able to guarantee she would come in at a certain time. I also know liveries who have subdivided a field to get individual turnout - this has meant one of them having to fill water truggs daily but they were content to do this as they saw the individual turnout as being more important.
Are there any yards that you’ve seen that you’d generally be happy with, and if so are you able to either tailor your expectations or look at any additional measures that you could put in place to work around their limitations?

Trouper

Visit site
Do you need livery yard services or could you look to rent some land for a while that you could manage yourself? Alternatively, could you put a notice in local saddlers setting out exactly what you want? There may be someone happy to have you in their own set up if they have spare space.

jnb

Visit site
I can only echo @Trouper - unless you need an Olympic size school then search Preloved for stables/land for rent, that's how I found my sole use yard OK I have no school but as I have transport I can box up to one.
Do you have transport? If you do the world is your oyster (apart from in lockdown obviously)
Own yard = manage horse how you like, invest in electric fencing (with solar energiser if necessary) = job done.

Leandy

Visit site
My only suggestions would be to consider whether you need them all in one place maybe different yards will suit different of your horses? Also, can you make use of freelance help to achieve the management you want even if the yard does not offer it? My happiest time was renting my own boxes and facilities at a bigger professional yard and then managing my horses as I wished using part time freelance help. It worked perfectly.

Mary3050

Visit site
I would have thought most yards would be able to accommodate restricted turnout, but I know my yard would struggle with individual turnout as they simply do not have enough fields. Livery yards mostly have a model where they cater to general wellbeing needs of the majority of horses and those owners with horses who have very special requirements may need to either put additional measures in place or adjust their expectations a bit.
So, for example, I had a horse who needed restricted turnout in summer because the grass was so rich even with a track system. I paid someone to bring her in at midday because the yard wasn’t able to guarantee she would come in at a certain time. I also know liveries who have subdivided a field to get individual turnout - this has meant one of them having to fill water truggs daily but they were content to do this as they saw the individual turnout as being more important.
Are there any yards that you’ve seen that you’d generally be happy with, and if so are you able to either tailor your expectations or look at any additional measures that you could put in place to work around their limitations?

Sadly individual turnout is a must one a ex breeding stallion and can be very rough with other horses ie jumping on mares which is not good . The other has never been out with anything other than a small pony . I have my own electric fencing to section off a large paddock for the pony in need of restricted grazing if needed but nothing .

Mary3050

Visit site
Do you need livery yard services or could you look to rent some land for a while that you could manage yourself? Alternatively, could you put a notice in local saddlers setting out exactly what you want? There may be someone happy to have you in their own set up if they have spare space.

Sadly I need livery service as I can’t mange on my own due to health issues . There’s nothing on the local saddlers board due to Covid ? Thanks will keep looking

Mary3050

Visit site
I can only echo @Trouper - unless you need an Olympic size school then search Preloved for stables/land for rent, that's how I found my sole use yard OK I have no school but as I have transport I can box up to one.
Do you have transport? If you do the world is your oyster (apart from in lockdown obviously)
Own yard = manage horse how you like, invest in electric fencing (with solar energiser if necessary) = job done.

Preloved only has wanted ads or yards that are 50 miles away . I can’t have them on my own due to health and work but when we move I will employ someone . Thanks will keep looking

Mary3050

Visit site
My only suggestions would be to consider whether you need them all in one place maybe different yards will suit different of your horses? Also, can you make use of freelance help to achieve the management you want even if the yard does not offer it? My happiest time was renting my own boxes and facilities at a bigger professional yard and then managing my horses as I wished using part time freelance help. It worked perfectly.

Thanks I think I will have to split them up as I can’t find anything and I can’t stand it much longer .

Mary3050

Visit site
Thanks guys I took your advice I went back and looked at the yards that I though looked great but didn’t quite have what I need . I am going to look at one later on only issues is they only do livery mon-Friday .So I would need to do them at weekends which is not ideal as I am always worried about my health but I would have to get a freelance or a friend to help if needed. Similarly concerned if I can mange working them but again will have to get a freelance or part loaner I guess . Slightly nerves for the viewing as more anxious it will get back to the current yard . I have a few other to chase up tomorrow too Thanks