Why does it seem so big?

Michen

Visit site
Every time I think about Aston BE100 next weekend my stomach starts turning and heart racing.

Out of interest I googled the length of my iPhone SE. It’s taller than the increase in height on the SJ. And it’s small!

How can 10cm seem like such a big deal? It’s not even half a ruler.

Answers on a postcard please ?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Every time I think about Aston BE100 next weekend my stomach starts turning and heart racing.

Out of interest I googled the length of my iPhone SE. It’s taller than the increase in height on the SJ. And it’s small!

How can 10cm seem like such a big deal? It’s not even half a ruler.

Answers on a postcard please ?

It is one of the mysteries of showjumping! Even 5cm can seem like a big deal. If I think about my SJ round coming up on Saturday I start to get butterflies because it is max 1m20 not max 1m15 which we are used to. 5 silly centimetres!

But if its any consolation, with the same horse, the difference between a 90cm and a 1m also used to seem insurmountably huge.... just perseverance required!

Michen

Visit site
It is one of the mysteries of showjumping! Even 5cm can seem like a big deal. If I think about my SJ round coming up on Saturday I start to get butterflies because it is max 1m20 not max 1m15 which we are used to. 5 silly centimetres!

But if its any consolation, with the same horse, the difference between a 90cm and a 1m also used to seem insurmountably huge.... just perseverance required!

God I’m glad it’s not just me. It seems nuts to feel like this two weeks before.

I am trying to reassure myself that Boggle really isn’t going to notice the difference. I think maybe I will shut my eyes 3 strides out then I won’t either!

J&S

Visit site
But it isn't just the height is it...... there will be a relevant width increase.......... but your little horse is very game and will take it in his stride (metaphorically).

You have been jumping this height in your clinics and camps so do know it is not a problem. Very best of luck, we will all be rooting for you!

Denali

Visit site
I haven’t introduced myself properly here, but I wanted to chime in and say I feel the same way. What I find helps is to school around jumps larger than what I am doing so they don’t look so big.

Bernster

Visit site
Does it ever get easier?! I’m down here jumping sticks off the ground and having a wobble if another stick gets placed a smidge higher ?

Michen

Visit site
But it isn't just the height is it...... there will be a relevant width increase.......... but your little horse is very game and will take it in his stride (metaphorically).

You have been jumping this height in your clinics and camps so do know it is not a problem. Very best of luck, we will all be rooting for you!

Thank you! x

BunnyDog

Visit site
It's always easier if you walk the course when it's 1 level down. LOL

I've done that.

Kick on and smile. Enough engine, but not running flat out, will help find your rhythm if you get nervous and start off under powered. Sing "Row row row your boat" under your breath. That's the correct beat for the canter.

#crazybutitworks

Em

Michen

Visit site
BD thanks so much!!! I will absolutely do that, love a good sing song :D

Also, Bog and I are heading stateside, will I be laughed out of a Hunter/Jumper barn and do I need to adopt a more forward light seat :D

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
It's always easier if you walk the course when it's 1 level down. LOL

I've done that.

Kick on and smile. Enough engine, but not running flat out, will help find your rhythm if you get nervous and start off under powered. Sing "Row row row your boat" under your breath. That's the correct beat for the canter.

#crazybutitworks

Em

Or another tactic is to watch people successfully jumping it when it's bigger, and then watch it being put down for your class. Loved watching the AI SJ at LIncoln (1m25-1m30) being put down to novice height (1m10-1m15) as it really shrank!!

Michen

Visit site
Or another tactic is to watch people successfully jumping it when it's bigger, and then watch it being put down for your class. Loved watching the AI SJ at LIncoln (1m25-1m30) being put down to novice height (1m10-1m15) as it really shrank!!

Haha, sadly for me the 100 is first of the day :D

Bob notacob

Visit site
It all went to pot when we went metric. !00 is only 3ft 4 , Your horse if it is anything other than a shetland ,has only to bend its knees to clear it. And an 80 is essentially a trip hazard at not even 2ft 9 . It just confuses big horses because they cant jump small, they are still trying to fit a nice bascule to their stride over a toothpick!.It isnt about height ,its all about how we present the horse to the fence.

abbijay

Visit site
My take away from this is that you googled how big your iphone is rather than measured it?!! Life is literally lead according to google nowadays!

Michen

Visit site
Haha I am not someone who has a tape measure or a ruler to hand.. in fact I don’t think I own either!

BunnyDog

Visit site
I measure jumps with where they are in relation to the bottom bra strap.

I know those heights well and if they're below my knickers = Not a threat.

Em

teapot

Visit site
I measure jumps with where they are in relation to the bottom bra strap.

I know those heights well and if they're below my knickers = Not a threat.

Em

??? Below top or bottom of knicker line? And what knickers are we talking here?

BunnyDog

Visit site
??? Below top or bottom of knicker line? And what knickers are we talking here?

I mean.... and maybe I am REALLY overthinking this:D:D:D... but I don't think it would truly be "Below" your knickers if it was from the top. So in my mind's eye I was thinking where they end, so anything below my bum I don't really concern myself with.

Thankfully I get to choose what horses I jump and since I own them I know they're solid jumpers, or I trained them to jump and they're solid.

It would be different if I was back in a riding school and things weren't as established on every horse.

Em