Why does my horse do this

andytiger

Visit site
Hi everyone just wanted to ask about my new horses quirks I have owned him for three months now he was broken last November and when I got him he was quite weak he had an infection and a bad back bit he is a lot stronger know just been bringing him on slowly however when I school him when you first ask him to trot he will go really crabby and the more you but your leg on the more he backs off I try and keep him going forwards and he will be ok until you bring him back to walk for a rest you'll ask for trot and he will go crabby again not wanting to go forwards he will be fine if you ask him transitions in a sort amount of time he just does this after he's had a rest it's like he switches off
He does find schooling hard going how should I encourage him to go forwards
I don't think it's pain related he hAs had his back treated teeth done it is a new saddle made for him he has always done this since I've had him it may have been pain related at first and it may be just have become a habit thanks for reading its a bit long winded xx

be positive

Visit site
How is he out hacking, on the lunge and in general is he a happy forward thinking horse? it does sound as if he is still uncomfortable or possibly that having had a poor start he really does not understand what you are asking him to do so is shutting down rather than going forward in case it starts to hurt again. If he is ok hacking I would take a break from schooling in an arena and get him out enjoying himself, thinking forward, accepting the leg and you can then start to use transitions etc to introduce schooling in an easier way.
It could still be pain related, his back problem may have been secondary to something else going on and being crabby to the leg can be a sign of ulcers which is another thing to consider ruling out.

Mike007

Visit site
Young horses really need to go out hacking . They learn far more about real life and how to behave than they ever will in a school. So find a friend and put on the Hi viz (yes even in summer) and get out hacking.

spookypony

Visit site
My pony started doing this in the school when he had low-grade laminitis, that we fortunately managed to head off before it got severe (his behaviour is how we figured out something was wrong). He kept up the resistance to trot even afterwards; I also suspected saddle issues, but physio and saddler both think he is fine...In his case, because he's really backwards-thinking anyway, it has never improved much in the school, but it has improved a lot out hacking. When with other horses, he's pretty forward and shows no reluctance to go up a gear; by himself, he's still pretty nappy, though much better now.

Tash88

Visit site
I agree with the above in that he should probably be hacking and experiencing the world a little more, even better if you can go out in company so that he has less of an excuse for napping etc. I would also get him checked for ulcers. What is his diet like, could he be lacking in anything?