Why don't martingales come with the rubber stopper?!

kppony

Visit site
I've just spent a hilarious and frustrating half an hour putting a rubber stopper on my new martingale and wondered why they don't come with them on!

Any ideas?!

It took 3 of us, some hot water and some pliers to get the blasted thing on! I now have very sore fingers!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I don't know either. Perhaps manufactures don't feel like putting it on, so they leave it to the riders :/
Try using washing up liquid, that is normally a lot quicker to get on ;)

crabbymare

Visit site
Easy way is to do it as if its a bit ring and loop 2 bits of bale string through then either stand on 1 or attach it to a tie ring and then pull on the other. main reason the manufacturer does not is that the leather people don't also produce the stops and of course the fact that to put them on would slow things down rather a lot. plus it gives unsuspecting people hours of fun battling with them

alainax

Visit site
Because the rubber stoppers attach to your reins and not the martingale?

They would either have to come with a whole new set of reins for you, which may not be suited and bump up the price, or a free pair of stoppers which you have to fit to your own reins anyway so doesn't solve your issue!

As for the middle stopper, that would make packaging harder ;)

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
she means the rubber in the middle of the martingale alaina.

and yup, I think they don't do it because it is hard work!

kppony

Visit site
Because the rubber stoppers attach to your reins and not the martingale?

They would either have to come with a whole new set of reins for you, which may not be suited and bump up the price, or a free pair of stoppers which you have to fit to your own reins anyway so doesn't solve your issue!
I'm talking about the stopper that goes in the middle of the martingale, where the two straps join, rather than the stoppers that go on the reins.
Easy way is to do it as if its a bit ring and loop 2 bits of bale string through then either stand on 1 or attach it to a tie ring and then pull on the other. main reason the manufacturer does not is that the leather people don't also produce the stops and of course the fact that to put them on would slow things down rather a lot. plus it gives unsuspecting people hours of fun battling with them

Yes that makes sense! Finally got it on and to be fair, it was a funny half hour!

alainax

Visit site
she means the rubber in the middle of the martingale alaina.

and yup, I think they don't do it because it is hard work!

Yeah I just got that after I thought about it, sorry :p I've always found those middle stopper a daft design, always makes the martingale ever so slightly skew wif. Ofc it has to be adjustable to suit each horse, but better ways must be out there!

kppony

Visit site
Yeah I just got that after I thought about it, sorry :p I've always found those middle stopper a daft design, always makes the martingale ever so slightly skew wif. Ofc it has to be adjustable to suit each horse, but better ways must be out there!

I feel like I should design something and make my millions!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I wonder if it's because the leather does become a bit bent where ever it sits so wouldn't be 'perfect' enough for sale then.

I reckon that is why there are so many 5 point breastplates about these days ;)

tonitot

Visit site
I wonder if it's because the leather does become a bit bent where ever it sits so wouldn't be 'perfect' enough for sale then.

I reckon that is why there are so many 5 point breastplates about these days ;)

It's the reason I have a 5 point breastplate! After going through about 5 stoppers, all of which broke no matter what I did to them, I gave up and bought ny 5 point!!

Rollin

Visit site
I wonder why too!! Last attempt broke just as we got it into place. Now we have an ugly bit of vet wrap but it does the trick.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
The YM and I broke three trying to get one on using boiling water, bailer band, hoof picks etc.

Eventually we gave up and used 4 hair bobbles, 2 across each diagonal, which works a treat and even looks smart.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Back in the day, I am sure they used to come with the martingales. I only ever recall replacing them when they perished. Also we used to have leather stitched across, which as long as done tight enough, never used to slip or perish!

dawn m

Visit site
Also when you buy a martingale why doesn't the tack shop assistant offer you the stopper and rein stops to go with them? Many novice owners don't realise they need them.

Visit site
If they gave you the ruddy pieces of rubber with/on it then tack shops couldn't charge you £1.20 for each one you break trying to get one on the bloomin martingale!!!!!