Why don't more riders join the BHS?

Are you a BHS Member?

• Total voters

Tinsel Town

Visit site
I used to be a gold member, but could get the public liability and personal accident insurance cheaper with the insurance company I use for my horse. So it was just too expensive to renew

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have pony club and riding club membership which provides me with insurance similar to the bhs and offers me far more in return for my money.

This is my reason too. And I always feel as though I've been ripped off by the BHS - if you get your instructor exams they expect you to pay to register with them, if you open a livery yard they want you to pay again to register that, all for an industry that is notoriously poorly paid anyway. I haven't been a member since I did my AI over 20yr ago. Keep thinking of rejoining, but when I look there doesn't look much that tempts me..

Because their exam format is shambles and I refuse to support an organisation that awards qualifications to people who shouldn't have them, and refuses them to people who are worthy of them.

Hmm. Grapes?

cptrayes

Visit site
3rd party insurance is cheaper through BD as a non-competing affiliate and I can't see how it would benefit me at all to pay to join the BHS.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I went through a few trainers before finding one who really helped me progress. She was the only one without a BHS qualification. She was by far the best of the ones I tried.

rhino

Visit site
I was when I was competing Trec fairly seriously. Don't anymore, but if/when I have another Trec horse I will most likely rejoin.

The insurance itself is pretty limited and only to be used as a 'last' option; I prefer to have more comprehensive insurance as I am paid to ride for other people.

the watcher

Visit site
There may be some interest and advantages to horse owners, but to casual non horse owning rider there is really nothing on offer from the BHS to tempt them.

Whilst on local committees there are some very good people doing excellent work my experience from being on the inside of it was that there is a group of people who just love being on committees, county, regional..you name it...and a good many of them are pretty useless to the everyday rider.

As for the exams, well a bit off topic perhaps, but rigid, out of date and not the ideal route for anybody who wants a career with horses.

....I am still a member though, the insurance is handy...

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Honey- I was failed on an exam for the stupidest thing that i hadnt even done wrong but a girl another girl was 'carried' through the exam, fed answers, handed equipment she would need.

I know a good few more than capable people who have been rendered incompetent by the BHS exam system. And it's not something that's easily affordable! I sat mine through college and the exam was 3 months wages.

Slight sour grapes yes! Lol.

Will be sticking with the UKCC route strictly for my teaching.

unbalanced

Visit site
I'm not a member. I have public liability insurance along with my vets fees insurance so not really sure what the point would be. I don't work in the equine industry so don't need do do qualifications so don't really think they have anything to offer me. I don't think my instructor is BHS qualified either, but my horse thinks she is good which is all that matters really.

Tnavas

Visit site
Honey- I was failed on an exam for the stupidest thing that i hadnt even done wrong but a girl another girl was 'carried' through the exam, fed answers, handed equipment she would need.

I know a good few more than capable people who have been rendered incompetent by the BHS exam system. And it's not something that's easily affordable! I sat mine through college and the exam was 3 months wages.

Slight sour grapes yes! Lol.

Will be sticking with the UKCC route strictly for my teaching.

Jenni you would not have failed on one single thing.

As an examiner we never fail a rider for one error unless it was really dangerous and likely to cause an accident. You will have had a few low marks that pushed you into the fail zone. You may have been advised about a particular answer/action as it was important enough for the examiner to comment on.

I examine at Pony Club B certificate level. I also used to work for the BHS Chief Examiner and she always told us that you never fail for one error but for a multiple of errors or low grades.

SNORKEY

Visit site
I don't go anywhere with my horses and I've already found out they can't help with my closed bridleway by my yard. Dont see any point really, I used to be a member when I was doing my stage 1&2 exams when working with horses.

bouncingbean

Visit site
I'm a gold member, joined mainly for the insurance but the magazine is good to flick through on tea breaks! I have yet to look if theres anywhere cheaper/better value for money insurance wise but it is something I plan to look in to.

Orangehorse

Visit site
If there wasn't the BHS there wouldn't be a central talking point for consultations, welfare, access, and all the background things that go on.

If you are a horserider and owner and not a member of the BHS then you are having a free ride from everyone who IS a member. If every horse owner and rider WAS a member the BHS would have plenty of money to do all the things that we would like them to do!

Graham Cory (who has just left) had done a tremendous amount of work to modernise the BHS (I think it was under his admin that the free insurance was started). It isn't perfect. If you have any worries about a BHS livery, or other establishment, or trainer for that matter, then you should bring this to the attention of Stoneleigh.

I agree that not every BHS instructor is wonderful, but is everyone who passes a driving test a good driver?

There are county welfare officers who can give advice to owners, not just walk away like the RSPCA, and bridlepath officers who do an enormous amount of work to ensure that all riders can continue to use the bridlepath network.

Our local BHS committee works extremely hard to put on events to attract members. Oddly enough, the event that attracted the most attenance was a fashion show.

cptrayes

Visit site
If you are a horserider and owner and not a member of the BHS then you are having a free ride from everyone who IS a member. If every horse owner and rider WAS a member the BHS would have plenty of money to do all the things that we would like them to do!

Bit sweeping that?

Certainly doesn't apply to me, and I suspect many other horse owners who don't actually personally want anything that the BHS are doing.

rachel_s

Visit site
Absolutely, but the point is that if you're a bad teacher you shouldn't be allowed to pass the BHSAI exam!

Haven't read all the replies but presumably BHSAI means BHS Assistant Instructor - in other words, should not be the actual instructor.
Reality is not necessarily what was intended by the qualification/ training scheme (almost like GCSE/A-level/degree)

micki

Visit site
I'm a member purely for the insurance but i know it is cheaper in other places so i am thinking of looking around this year as i could really do with saving money as it is getting a bit pricey these days as they keep putting the price up. I could do with keeping the money to actually keep my horses.

rascal

Visit site
If there wasn't the BHS there wouldn't be a central talking point for consultations, welfare, access, and all the background things that go on.

There are county welfare officers who can give advice to owners, not just walk away like the RSPCA, and bridlepath officers who do an enormous amount of work to ensure that all riders can continue to use the bridlepath network.

Our local BHS committee works extremely hard to put on events to attract members. Oddly enough, the event that attracted the most attenance was a fashion show.

My hubby trained with the bhs so he was a member but found it stuffy and not at all helpfull.
We are not members because we prefer to support a different welfare charity.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I was failed on the 'tacking up for lunging' unit. Had a talk through with the examiner over what I had done blah blah and she asked me if I had fitted the saddle ( I sat my exam at my work, and was fitting a saddle to a horse that I'd held to be fitted for the saddler 3 days prior) I said I hadn't on this occasion as I know the saddle fits (they go on about wasting time yada yada) but if I was tacking up a horse I hadn't worked with YES I would fit it. But even from looking at the saddle on the horse I can tell its a good enough fit for the horse.

She gave me the filthiest look and then asked me why I'd put on stable bandages for lunging... They were the horses own exercise bandages that I'd used as there were no more boots! I explained is rather boots than bandages but circumstances, and she kept saying they were stable bandages.

They ONLY crosses I ever had on an exam. Even in the riding stages, never had a cross.

Boss appealed on my behalf but they wouldn't hear of it. She was in earshot as was another groom and they obviously couldn't but in but were very annoyed.

As I said, UKCC for me!

Sixteen Hands

Visit site
I am guessing that for many people it is the cost of membership versus what they consider they are getting for their money.

Many seem to join simply because of the insurance provided. A parallel might be the AA, where people join for the breakdown service, totally unaware of the other work that the AA does on behalf of the motorist.

I don't believe that there is any other equestrian organisation that actually does so much for both the horse and rider in the very widest context. I think that I once read "it campaigns tirelessly...". The reality is that it actually does.

The BHS have recently relaunched their website in an effort to make the services they offer and the information that they provide freely more accessible and easier to find. I'd say that if you're not aware of everything they do then take a look http://www.bhs.org.uk/

The British Horse Society is one of the better-known and most respected organisations around the world. Over the last few years it seems to have taken leaps and bounds forward. That's not to say that everything is perfect. Some may consider that they spread their wings too widely and sometimes duplicate and even compete against other organisations. Having said that, many organisations that were secular in the past are now working together and pooling resources. There have been some criticisms on these threads regarding training and the approvals scheme and perhaps these are areas that need critical review and independent/impartial appraisal.

The BHS has moved on and in my view improving all the time. It's easy to be criticise, but I'm not aware of any other organisation that really do as much for the horse and rider as the BHS. The question is, if they weren't there who would do it?

But there is a more fundamental question. The British Horse Society is a charity. It obviously needs money to run and money for future projects. But in rough terms, if the membership increased tenfold, would it be able to reduce the membership cost tenfold?

For those who aren't members, what would induce you to become a member? Is it simply a matter of cost?

Cuffey

Visit site
I'm a Gold Member but not sure how long I will continue to be!

I breed two or three foals a year which apparently makes me commercial (although I never make a profit!) so the insurance probably doesn't cover me.

I phoned the legal helpline the other day (I'm in Scotland). The line rang a few times, then went dead. So I emailed the local rep asking them to forward my query to the legal team. I've heard nothing.:rolleyes:

You should try the Helpline again
They will link you to the legal team in Scotland
It is a phone service although I have exchanged emails after the first ''chat''

CalllyH

Visit site
I know of one riding school near me that I believe is bhs approved and you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I'm also looking at doing one of there courses but they are so expensive IMO and that's from someone who isn't tight with money. However thirty quid a week for an hours evening class for twenty weeks!!??

mandwhy

Visit site
I insure my horse and me already, so don't see the benefit really. Seems a bit silly that you pay separate membership to each discipline anyway. Seems to make BHS membership a bit void!

Tnavas

Visit site
I currently live in New Zealand and believe me you are really lucky that you have the BHS to fight your battles for you and to standardise instruction and to ensure that you and your children learn to ride somewhere safe.

In NZ we just don't have anything like it - anyone can have a riding school, it's not inspected by anyone, anyone can take out rides, anyone can teach.

ESNZ the current title for the FEI side of things are scrapping over the instructional exams they brought in around 20 years ago when the title for the same organisation was NZEF!

I qualified as an BHSAI in 1979 and then it was described as the gateway to the world - it certainly was - I gained ymy residency totally on its strengths I have friends who've taught all over the world because they have the exam.

BHS were the world leaders in setting up the exam system. Yes they may seem fuddy duddy to some but they set a safe, tested system in place that has helped many thousands of people over the years. Other countries eventually cottoned on that it is a sensible idea to have a standarised system in place to ensure the safety, health and well being of horses and riders.

New Zealand Pony CLub now has a correspondence course with practical assesments in place and are trying now to encourage all those that teach at pony club to become part of the training system. For the benefit of all the children coming into riding. I reckon it will take around 20 years before it can happily say that all pony club instructors are qualified.

I currently see a wide range of instruction - from those that are downright dangerous, a waste of money, rude to their riders and have them in tears, and those that can honestly not teach a group of beginners. Having a riding school subjected me to many instructors who I just wouldn't take on - I advertised and eventually staffed my school with BHS instructors. The best thing I ever did.

I generally find that those that knock a system have usually failed in the system and rather than get off thier disgruntled butt, learn from their failure and try again, instead knock the system.

It took me three attempts to pass my teaching phase, each time I went away saddened but determined to improve, work on my problems - which was generally a lack of self confidence and finally I cracked it and passed. I then went on to do my Stage IV, ABRS Grooms Diploma and BHSI Stable Manager. I'm now a NZPCA B examiner and I owe all this to the work the BHS have put in on my behalf and for all UK riders.

As a raw beginner I went to the nearest riding school and for three years actually learnt nothing - it was only when I moved to a BHS approved centre that I actually learnt something and that is where the BHS excel.

PS to the person who mentioned the insurance - I do remember the BHS having third party insurance for all members many decades ago when I was a member. My friend used her insurance when her horse sat on someones car.

Off my soap box now :)

LauraWheeler

Visit site
I also know BHS approved yards where I would never keep a horse! Practices like only topping up water if it is less than a quarter full and only feeding small amounts of haylage very infrequently.

I havn't read all the replys but did get this far.

I'm NOT a member of the BHS and I never will be. I can't stand them i'm afraid. I know alot of people love them but I find them a load of jumped up little upstarts. (Sorry thats my opinion)
I refuse to take the exams. I'm a groom and my experance out weighs a little bit of paper I've paid alot of money to get. I don't agree with alot of the ways the BHS want things done and I know alot of grooms who have jumped through the BHS hoops to get there stages but them go out and do it there way anyway. So realy what is the point of the little bits of paper :confused: They failed a friend on her riding and she had to retake. She went back and rode egsactly the same as she did the first time and passed :confused: It's just a way for them to make money. As she had to pay again to retake her exam :mad: I've also had arguments with AI's about horsecare. Once when I was a working Pupil on a livery yard the yard manager and Head Girl were both AIs. One of the livery owners came back from a hack and her horse was sweating buckets and barely able to walk. She had only walked round the village. :eek: The mare was looking round at her quarters and both AIs said she had colic and the owner should walk her. I must admit I freaked out abit. The poor mare didn't have colic she was tying up :eek: I begged the owner not to walk her as she would do more damage. Luckly the owner listened to me and she put the horse in the stable and kepted her quiet till the vet arrived and it was discovered I was right.
As to wagtails comment. I used to work on a BHS aproved livery yard. At the last inspection they were given the highest rating. There is no way even if the livery was free I would keep my horse there.
The artomatic drinkers are never cleaned out (except for when there is a BHS inspection), The fields are never poo picked, are full of ragwort, other weeds and the troughs are never cleaned out. We often fed mouldy haylidge and once when we found ragwort in a bail they told us to just carry on feeding it :eek: They used mouldy straw on the beds which were very thin, The horses were all fed the cheepest low quality feed available, The horses didn't have there own feed buckets and they were never cleaned out inbetween uses. Staff were only there for afew hours a day and there wasn't true 24hour supervision.
It seems as long as you pay your money and butter the inspector with tea and cake and maybe even lunch at the pub you can be BHS aproved :rolleyes:.
Ok now I've said my peace. I'll get off my soap box and stop ranting. But as I said before i'm not a member of the BHS and never will be ;) :p :D

Tinypony

Visit site
Tnavas, I think you're over-estimating the power that the BHS has over here. Riding schools don't have to be BHS approved, anyone can take a ride out and anyone can teach. Thank goodness, because I've had my best teaching from some who have no BHS qualifications.

"I generally find that those that knock a system have usually failed in the system and rather than get off thier disgruntled butt, learn from their failure and try again, instead knock the system."

That assumes that people wanted to succeed in the system in the first place.

A couple of us have mentioned the insurance. In the past I have been a member just to get that, but because they wouldn't confirm that they covered me, I've gone elsewhere. As that was the main benefit for me personally, and I don't have much money to spare, there wasn't enough benefit to me in joining BHS for any other reason.

touchstone

Visit site
I did my BHSAI years ago, but now support WHW as a member and I receive third party and personal accident cover along with that.

I'd rather my money was helping with the much needed welfare issues that horses are currently facing.

Sixteen Hands

Visit site
I havn't read all the replys but did get this far.

I'm NOT a member of the BHS and I never will be. I can't stand them i'm afraid. I know alot of people love them but I find them a load of jumped up little upstarts. (Sorry thats my opinion)
I refuse to take the exams. I'm a groom and my experance out weighs a little bit of paper I've paid alot of money to get. :D

Are you a member of the British Grooms Association? http://www.britishgrooms.org.uk/

Caol Ila

Visit site
I get third party insurance as part of my vet fees insurance anyway and otherwise I don't see the point. I had a look at their exam scheme and thought it was a little bit too much like a UK driving test. Lots of arcane details that you could potentially be failed on that don't matter in the real world. I remember watching a girl at a yard I used to board at practicing for one of her exams, which entailed putting rugs and various other things on a horse the "right" way. Really? Isn't any way that's not backwards the right way?