Why is dressage such a precious sport?

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
I think dressage horses are pretty pricey... I mean how much did they get Totilas insured for? Mega bucks I think.

I wont be too popular here, but I feel pretty sorry for most comp horses as they lead a very 'un-natural' lifestyle and whilst most horses (i.e our domestic horses) don't lead lives quite the way nature intended, keeping horses in 24/7 is probably my biggest issue with our housing arrangements for neds. I love dressage personally but yeah, I think they get quite a raw deal. But there are alot of good guys out there, I mean to quote Sylvia Loch she said '(actually cannot remember the exact quote ''My horses are worth too much not to turn out''
But imagine schooling everyday or if they are lucky a trip on the horsewalker! Not ever being hacked, jumped or galloped.
At least with the other sports, they get to do different riding (except probably race horses)

charlie55

Visit site
I dont agree that you can get to the top in dressage with money alone, a girl up my yard could be a millionaire and theres no way she would ever sit to a decent horses canter, let alone figure out anything else lol
tongue.gif

Misspiggy

Visit site
Dressage tests are to show that the horse is proceeding correctly through his stages of training - whether it is going to be a 'Dressage' horse - a Show Jumper - and Eventer etc as its career.

Misspiggy

Visit site
What sort of statement is that!!! All horses do "dressage" flat work - schooling - or whatever you like to call it - or do you just get on your horse each day and go and jump it straight away?

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I dont agree that you can get to the top in dressage with money alone, a girl up my yard could be a millionaire and theres no way she would ever sit to a decent horses canter, let alone figure out anything else lol
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but if she had parents who bought her the very best schoolmasters, paid for a top trainer to go live with them and train her on all of her horses every single day, and if this started when she was a child, not now, don't you think after 10-15 years she could easily compete at GP?

That is what I mean when I say that it is possible to get to the top in dressage with money alone -- not money to buy one fab horse, money to have that kind of set-up, a string of incredibly talented horses and more importantly, parents who started this when you are a child.

Tempi

Visit site
I dont think it is a precious sport - yes dressage riders take a lot of time and effort over appereance, dosent mean its precious!

All the top dressage riders i know turn their horses out on a daily basis, some are worth a fair penny. Ive always turned mine out and always will do, yes they are turned out individually, but purely because the comp yard i am at only does individual turnout. When i was on a DIY yard mine went out in large herds.

gabbypinkjessica

Visit site
Pardon my ignorance, my horses were all very cheap, but doesn't the breeding industry have something to do with the prices of top horses? A competition record helps the status of a breeding horse, which puts up the price of their youngstock, which are then worth more when they are broken and so on...
What I mean is that, although there is prize money, I imagine lots of owners are thinking of stud fees and foal sales as well to supplement the horses' earnings. I don't know how true that is, but it might be something to do with it? And maybe this is more true in dressage, as people (gross generalisation I know!) seem more keen on bloodlines when buying for dressage than eventing? Event horses don't always conform to a type, but dressage horses at the higher levels tend to be continental warmblood types. Again, I know there are numerous exceptions, but just a thought.