Why is French so hard?

Pale Rider

Visit site
Our intention is to move to France in the next couple of years. I'm enjoying the trips over to view places and property.
Started re learning French again, I'd forgotten how hard I find learning a different language. The better half is fine and seems to get it straight away, it's just me thats a bit slow.:D

puss

Visit site
No its really hard i lived their eight years then returned to england. I still had get by french. Most the french speak some english and my little bit of french and loads of hand signal got the job done most the time.

Pale Rider

Visit site
No its really hard i lived their eight years then returned to england. I still had get by french. Most the french speak some english and my little bit of french and loads of hand signal got the job done most the time.

I've always thought that if you live somewhere, you aught to speak the language, or be seen to be trying at least, hence my latest assault on the unsuspecting, lol.

HappyHooves

Visit site
If you immerse yourself in the language when you're there - don't have UK TV, or read English newspapers. Try to leave a French radio station on whilst you work in the kitchen/stable etc. Its extraordinary how the brain takes it in , the sound of a sentence can often lead you to the right words. I have found that all our English friends who live in France, who have UK TV are all poor French speakers; they get by but don't ever progress and have awful accents. And never forget that a glass of wine is a great help!

What part fo France are you looking to buy in?

TrasaM

Visit site
I'm sure it requires a whole different set of muscles lol. I suspect that I sound a lot like the policeman in Allo Allo :D it's a lot easier if you have a fortifying glass or two of wine first. Sounds like an exciting venture lies ahead. Hope you're moving somewhere with a kinder climate:)

Pale Rider

Visit site
If you immerse yourself in the language when you're there - don't have UK TV, or read English newspapers. Try to leave a French radio station on whilst you work in the kitchen/stable etc. Its extraordinary how the brain takes it in , the sound of a sentence can often lead you to the right words. I have found that all our English friends who live in France, who have UK TV are all poor French speakers; they get by but don't ever progress and have awful accents. And never forget that a glass of wine is a great help!

What part fo France are you looking to buy in?

Well, I've looked all over but I think that from Lower Normandy down as far as Poitiers. I don't want to go too far south.

Pale Rider

Visit site
I'm sure it requires a whole different set of muscles lol. I suspect that I sound a lot like the policeman in Allo Allo :D it's a lot easier if you have a fortifying glass or two of wine first. Sounds like an exciting venture lies ahead. Hope you're moving somewhere with a kinder climate:)

My better half reckons Clouseau is about right lol. Yes it's weather and lifestyle really. I think it will be better for our horses.

Booboos

Visit site
It's well worth trying to learn some French before you come as the French do respond more positively to foreigners (read 'the English') who make an effort with their language. Also, in the rural part of the south where I live no one speaks english anyway! If you can find a discussion group or some way to literally force yourself to speak the language it's always easier.

I don't know how much you have looked into this but there are some negatives to moving to France (e.g. the much higher cost of living, implications for taxes and inheritance and access to public health care if you are retired).

Pale Rider

Visit site
It's well worth trying to learn some French before you come as the French do respond more positively to foreigners (read 'the English') who make an effort with their language. Also, in the rural part of the south where I live no one speaks english anyway! If you can find a discussion group or some way to literally force yourself to speak the language it's always easier.

I don't know how much you have looked into this but there are some negatives to moving to France (e.g. the much higher cost of living, implications for taxes and inheritance and access to public health care if you are retired).

Thanks BooBoos, looked at all the pro's and cons and feel we would be better in France, hence the struggle to become a French speaker.

Hemirjtm

Visit site
I know I moved over and was able to go to school so was immersed into it completely. But that really is the key to learning, don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself with hand signals and anything that helps cmmunicate with people, and don't hide away. Make an effort and talk to anyone that you can, little things like going to the boulangerie/local shop/ local bar will really help.

Definatly try and learn as much French before you come - it just makes it easier, join a riding club over here, and try to have french television/radio on as much as possible! I would say you need 3 years minimum to really settle in :)

The areas that you are looking at have very high ex pat numbers ;) !! I'm near Poitiers and I have to say there are loads of brits here. If you have any questions about this area feel free to ask ! :)

RichardRider

Visit site
SO TRUE!!!! I came to France 30 years ago from the states, when even French tv only came on at noon and there were only 3 channels. Loved the romance etc, and while having mostly French mates and working and travelling with different French Clients, I still had university French texte books and laboratory cassettes sent over to study with...

But I can understand English couples that arrive and the first thing they do is stick a dish on the roof to get BBC! My wife is French and we mostly speak French at home with our 14 year old son. Now I'd likehim(and me,) to watch the BBC(love listening to BBC4,) for the quality of its programming...but we decided years ago not to even have a tele at the farm....

When living briefly in Germany I did the same. I've lost most of it but still can get by(and there just about everyone speaks English,) but with every language you pick up you seem to become another person. It's really worth the effort for the fun you'll have(and liberty,) afterwards...

...bon courage...rr

RichardRider

Visit site

Interesting. I was just in London(LOVED IT,) and I found things really expensive and I always thought the French Health Care System superior to the English...AND CERTAINLY OUR OWN in the states...

Is it breaking the rules to ask what things people find more expensive here than in Britain?

Should I start another Thread Topic?

....rr(howdy Booboos, by the way)

puss

Visit site
Anything in france for horses is more expensive cant get decent horse food imo vets are rubbish cant just pop down a tack shop and grap something normally have to order it. Stray horse turns up on door step given your horses strangles vet havent a clue what to do. I loved living in brittany but would never have horses there again purely the lack of stuff you can not get in france yes you order it from England that takes time. And after having your beloved horse put to sleep waiting four days for the van to pick up of your driveway broke my heart still having an old one wasnt happening again so bought them all home Must say once he gone and the other one sold would go back but more south as the weather in brittany was like the uk but warmer rain and warmer stronger winds.

Nicnac

Visit site
It's not hard. Positive thinking required here! Why don't you offer French students the opportunity to come and stay with you and have rules about when they learn English and when you speak French.

The only way is to immerse yourself as much as possible and stop thinking it's hard! (I would suggest a French speaking OH, but you seem to be sorted so don't think it would go down very well....)

Pale Rider

Visit site
It's not hard. Positive thinking required here! Why don't you offer French students the opportunity to come and stay with you and have rules about when they learn English and when you speak French.

The only way is to immerse yourself as much as possible and stop thinking it's hard! (I would suggest a French speaking OH, but you seem to be sorted so don't think it would go down very well....)

Lol, they really should put a like button on here.:D

Goldenstar

Visit site
I lived in Turkey and although my Turkish was not good I could get by in most situations .
You just have to speak it even if it goes wrong , this was easy for me as I had victims daily who could not speak English to inflict my starting version of their language on.
Can you a french native near your home who would converse with you weekly my mum has a french friend that did this .
And listern to French stuff if you can buy French films when you are out there to get your ear in .
Bon chance PR.

JCWHITE

Visit site
You just have to speak it even if it goes wrong , this was easy for me as I had victims daily who could not speak English to inflict my starting version of their language on.

This is so true!!

I love the 'victims daily bit!'

JC