Why is it so difficult to find ...

Bruce17

Visit site

These are perfect, thank you so much!!

English bridles, lovely leather and good price https://www.englishbridles.co.uk/headcollars

Love these too!

I bought Shires a year ago, dismantled it and oiled it as per instructions. But Covid has kept me from the yard so I havent seen how it is doing. Taking it to the yard was the last time we left home.

If its anything like one of my shires bridles I wouldn't hold your breath!

Another good find, thanks!

I love mine. I think it is a Jeffries one. It was a Christmas present from my mum. It is used for traveling rather than day to day use.

View attachment 66625

That's an absolutely stunning photo, and a lovely headcollar ♥️

Visit site
An English leather headcollar with proper brass fittings. In full size, brown. Arrrrgh!

Why is every shop full of tacky nylon junk these days?!?

Please recommend me some nice traditional tack shops, if there are any left? Or even just the aforementioned headcollar, if not?

Thanks ?
It's true! A struggle to find decent quality! I will follow this thread with interest!

Birker2020

Visit site
It’s not a proven fact at all. Also leather does not break the way people think it does
I had four break in as many months last year, all through my mare being impatient and messing around with her door, manger and goodness knows what else whilst she waited for her tea to be brought to her, it drove me nuts, especially after a 16 years history of being tied outside her stable and never breaking a single headcollar, leadrope or getting loose. She was on a diet at the time so very impatient around tea time although she had adlib hay.

Each time the lead rope was attached to thinned bailing twine, and each time I took a couple more strands away (lethal stuff bailing twine). When part of the headcollar broke I was able to fix it with a rivet set that my partner had bought and i have loads of spare leather bits anyway that I've gathered over the years.

I think it depends what type of leather, as I said in my reply mine is an every day headcollar which is left hanging on the gate post every day for ease for staff when they turn out or bring in. Therefore they don't last long as they are obviously open to all the elements. So they break relatively easily.