Why is it that imported horses always look 'wierd'?

Would you buy the sandwich?

• Total voters

vivhewe

Visit site
I know not all imported horses will look 'wierd' and there are plenty of good horses in Britain that are imported, but when you look at a certain 'bad penny's' website, and many others who import horses, some of the horses really do look strange.

I've noticed their feet aren't the best, and conformation leaves something to be desired!

So do you all think that too or am I just too picky?

meandmyself

Visit site
I think that the sites your talking about buy the cheaper (cheapest?) horses, and that's why you see so many faults.

Also, a lot of them aren't fit or in work, which makes them look worse!

JM7

Visit site
the reason the "bad penny" horses look weird is that they are meat-market cast offs...

strictly speaking they should be up on a hook somewhere and not up for sale in england...

"crap animals" doesn't cover it!!!

vivhewe

Visit site
IMHO I just think that if they put their best nags on show, which they probably do, what does the rubbish look like?
crazy.gif

Visit site
I've never really noticed and every horse I know which has been imported looks fantastic - including my Irish pony whi is such a sweetheart and the star of the stables!

dieseldog

Visit site
They are probably paying about £500/horse including delivery, what are you going to get for that?

As JM says they are the unlucky ones that didn't make it to the meat man

Sarah1

Visit site
From the continent I assume - I took it to mean, belgium/dutch WB types.
I wouldn't include irish horses in this post - my nieces BRC area 16 champ pony is irish and he's fab! You only have to look at the pics I posted in the gallery to see he has gorg. conformation too! Every horse I know that has come from ireland knows it's job and has the most fab temp.!
I think german horses are usually nice too

dieseldog

Visit site
Bet you didn't pay meat money for your irish horses though!

This guy is just buying rubbish and hoping to get lucky, I'm sure every country has plenty of horses that wouldn't look out of place on his website

dieseldog

Visit site
Thats what I'm saying you bought a nice horse and you didn't pay meat money for it. However this guy is buying horses from the slaughter house, they are never going to be as nice as yours

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
meat money - I paid a lot for mine pony actually!!!!
mad.gif
also a horse is a horse - imo NO HORSE IS WEIRD!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point DD was trying to make is that the horses that generally look 'weird' are those that shouldn't be being sold as riding horses in the first place. You obviously bought your pony from a reputable source and paid a decent whack....and thus got a decent 'product'
tongue.gif

Boodle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the reason the "bad penny" horses look weird is that they are meat-market cast offs...

strictly speaking they should be up on a hook somewhere and not up for sale in england...

"crap animals" doesn't cover it!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

*shudders*
I find that point of view disgusting.

dieseldog

Visit site
Why? You think it is better to have a chronically lame horse shipped to england and then sold to some unsuspecting person who gets completly ripped off and ends up having it put down in the UK anyway?

Sarah1

Visit site
No that's a good point! I'd have expected to get A LOT of meat for what the irish pony cost!!!!!!
blush.gif

vivhewe

Visit site
Disgusting PoV it may be, but unfortunately it's true
frown.gif

I come from a farming background, but yet I still have to admit to when a cow should be in the knackers yard. Difficult it may be, but that's life.

Boodle

Visit site
I dont want to get into a debate or anything about it.

Just in my opinion I find what was said callous.

I don't see how any animal can be labelled crap, just because they "look abit weird".

I didn't say anything about badly lame horses. The topic was about "weird" looking horses.

vivhewe

Visit site
By the ones that look 'wierd' that are imported I mean the ones that they buy cheap etc. that aren't quality and never will be.

My new boy is of irish origins, but he is well put together etc.

By imported I mean from anywhere, but the sh:te from anywhere!

Boodle

Visit site
Just because they aren't quality doesent mean they deserve to be on a hook.

If that was the case then I know a few much loved horses who "should" be strung up.

JM7

Visit site
my reply was to the ORIGINAL post on this thread...about the "bad penny" post...

his horses ARE crap...along with the majority of animals at low level sales...southall, henley etc......

and are best off taken to slaughter.. unfortunately for them, they are taken from sale to sale, week after week, treated appallingly, and slaughtered anyway!!!

now THAT is disgusting!!!

vivhewe

Visit site
No, not everything that isn't quality should be, but these horses have very little hopes and not matter how many good feeds they have they will never improve.

My old mare would have been put down long ago if I hadn't got her, and she would have ended up on a hook, which isn't a nice thought at all but it's grim reality. At least now she's had a nice life and spends her days not being galloped across hard fat ground with a back problem and an unimaginable amount of gadgets restricting her every move, as well as the constant threat of being brayed up with a whip.

But with the 'bad penny' it would probably be fairer on the horses if they weren't alive
frown.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
Hope I'm not going to offend any of the Irish people on here, but when someone says 'important' I don't think Irish, I always think continental Europe.

Probably because there are so many Irish horses around I don't really think of them as 'foreign'.

I think the point is probably that a rubbish horse is still rubbish wherever it comes from. Whatever your moral position on it, horses are sent for meat because they are not suitable for anything else.

It is terrible that many of these horses now face an uncertain future that may well be in home where they will be expected to work beyond their capability. The hard fact remains that cheap horses are at far greater risk of ending up in bad homes.