Why is nothing what it says anymore??

sodapop

Visit site
I think I am getting old an grumpy but I am getting fed up of horse things costing so much money and not being the correct size, or being poor quality or just not doing what it claims to do!
Recently I purchased the following online:
1) a Norton shaped dressage girth that is useless as it has nothing to keep the girth straps and girth in line so the girth just twists exposing the girth straps to rub my horse.
2) a fly rug from ebay that came without the neck it was described as having in the advert.
3) another fly rug that had two labels saying 6' and one saying 5'9" but actually measured 5'6"
4) a 48" wintec cair girth that actually measures 46"

I asked my vets how much it would cost to have a dectomax injection, they quoted £30 but after the injection they added £46 to give the injection. Had I known I could have shared a visit with someone else's vet that was £46 cheaper :(

Riding boots split and zips break with the lightest of use, oh not forgetting the soles coming away despite being looked after and only worn when riding.

I am not rich and don't have money to waste! In the 80's there was quality, accuracy and when you bought something it lasted!
Moan over:eek:

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
I think I am getting old an grumpy but I am getting fed up of horse things costing so much money and not being the correct size, or being poor quality or just not doing what it claims to do!
Recently I purchased the following online:
1) a Norton shaped dressage girth that is useless as it has nothing to keep the girth straps and girth in line so the girth just twists exposing the girth straps to rub my horse.
2) a fly rug from ebay that came without the neck it was described as having in the advert.
3) another fly rug that had two labels saying 6' and one saying 5'9" but actually measured 5'6"
4) a 48" wintec cair girth that actually measures 46"

I asked my vets how much it would cost to have a dectomax injection, they quoted £30 but after the injection they added £46 to give the injection. Had I known I could have shared a visit with someone else's vet that was £46 cheaper :(

Riding boots split and zips break with the lightest of use, oh not forgetting the soles coming away despite being looked after and only worn when riding.

I am not rich and don't have money to waste! In the 80's there was quality, accuracy and when you bought something it lasted!
Moan over:eek:

I have to agree! Things are becoming extremely expense, yet the quality seems to be getting worse! ...I find the only decent make out there these days is Ariat, absolutely fantastic and I wouldn't have anything else now (in terms of riding boots).

In regards to the bits you bought from ebay, have you put in a complaint that the item wasn't as described? You are entitled to return the item and get your money back! ...Ebay are really helpful when it comes to things like this and 99% of the time they will sort out!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Yeah am feeling your pain OP. It just seems that nowadays everyone out there is trying to have you; and somehow it didn't seem mebbe to happen so much in the old days (tho' thinking about it, it probably did, its just that all of us of a Certain Age have just got very cynical:)).

I remember when I started riding there wasn't very much choice at all: Harry Hall and Caldene were around, plus a mail-order firm called "Jacatex" (this will bring a smile to the oldies on here).

Their stuff was cheap and cheerful, but by golly it lasted, and lasted, and lasted.......... which is why they eventually went bust I guess:( - they were a loss to everyone.

But know what you mean about the days we live in: example - a local equine vet practice (I'm not a client) does visits in particular areas on certain days, and if you want them to call for something routine, then its a set fee for the callout which is considerably cheaper than at other times, but you have to ring up on the morning and then they'll give you a time (to suit them). A friend rang and because she had work commitments (like, who hasn't??? - gotta keep the Neds somehow) she asked if they could give an approximate time, i.e. would it be a morning visit, or afternoon. Because she had, in their view, "specified" what time she wanted the visit, they billed it as a "normal time" callout rather than a "zone visit" one - and she had to argue really hard to get it charged at the cheaper rate. This is an example of what you mean isn't it OP??

Agree, it really P's one off.

mjcssjw2

Visit site
I feel your pain, very few things are actually upto the job, i spent nearly 200 pounds on fly rugs last week, neither cover the area between the front leg and side, one doesn't cover between the front lets at and rubbed his witheres and the other had him steaming in the cool stone stables before we even got to the field and is too tight round the neck.
Complete waste of my money am now actually competlating redesigning one of them by taking a big pair of scissors to it - fume fume

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
What really winds me up is the price hike for things described as 'equine' and with a picture of a horse on, when I can buy exactly the same product without the horse picture for less than half the price. I'm thinking particularly atm of tack boxes/carriers - I can get 'toolboxes' or 'kitchen caddies' in Wilkinsons for next-to-nothing, compared with the prices charged by tack shops and on-line equestrian companies. I can also get 6/9v batteries for the electric fencing in Wlikinsons for much less than anywhere that sells fence-posts and tape as well. You do get rather odd looks when buying them in quantity, though!

sodapop

Visit site
I have to agree! Things are becoming extremely expense, yet the quality seems to be getting worse! ...I find the only decent make out there these days is Ariat, absolutely fantastic and I wouldn't have anything else now (in terms of riding boots).

In regards to the bits you bought from ebay, have you put in a complaint that the item wasn't as described? You are entitled to return the item and get your money back! ...Ebay are really helpful when it comes to things like this and 99% of the time they will sort out!

I am in the process of sorting it but it has left the ponies without fly rugs as I can't afford to get replacements until I get my money back.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite I still have my caldene show jacket 30 years on! And yes to the vets thing, I specifically asked how much it would cost when booking the visit and to make it worse the equine manager said she would call me 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting! I have tried to speak to her only to be told she is in a meeting or she has gone home for the day when I call. I have given them enough business over the years to deserve the courtesy of a phone call!

glenruby

Visit site
Miblinkinjodhs - to be fair, the reduced charge visits are of no benefit to the practice. They are done to give something back to the clients. As a result, to avoid losing money on such schemes practices must plan an economical route. For this to work, clients must be flexible - if they stipulate an appointment time or vet they must pay a full call out fee. Everyone who uses practices that do zone visits is informed of this when they first book a visit. You would be surprised at the number if people who do try to get what they want everytime despite the rules. Practices are upfront with the rules, but it is up to the clients to ensure they book correctly.

glenruby

Visit site
Soda pop - have you received your invoice/receipt yet? Are you sure it was £46 for the injection fee? What was the £30? Your total bill is £70+ for injection - what was the visit fee? From memory dectomax is usually about £30 + visit.

sodapop

Visit site
Glenruby I was charged £30 for the dectomax and £46 to give the injection. The attending vet actually said she had only been charging for the dectomax but had been called into the office and told to charge for an examination fee to cover the time taken to do the injection. My problem with this is that I turned down a shared visit that would only cost me £30 all in because I stupidly thought it was better to stay with my vets of some 20+ years. Had I not specifically asked how much it would cost me when I booked the appt I would be frustrated at the cost but would suck it up as a lesson learnt however now I feel let down by them especially as their attitude has been quite poor about it. The exam they talk about to justify the £46 must have been the slap on his backside and the "he's lovely" comment.