PeanutButterDragon

Visit site
I cannot believe it
frown.gif
I am so gutted for Cavvy, his owners and Mary
frown.gif

JJ1987

Visit site
Have only really found equestrian news covering the story - found one site today that has the video but don't really want to post it as it doesn't make for pleasant viewing. Think it's a real shame that nothing had been covered in the news - this horse has been a fantastic asset to our teams and provided some amazing results in his career, he deserved at least some sort of mention. As for giving eventing a bad name, unfortunately it's a sport that has a very high risk factor and accidents happen. I do not agree, however, with the amount of posts people are putting condemning Express Eventing - it was the first time running it, yes it was completely marred by this incident but I don't think it should be judged solely by that. Some problems need ironing out but we would not have seen these problems unless it was given a go - the riders must have thought it was possible otherwise they would not have jumped, the majority of their horses I'm sure are worth more than £100,000. As Tina Cook said, her horse was fazed by the competition and it's something that needs to be worked on but I do believe that there is a place for this type of eventing in the calender - it's certainly better than most indoor cross country events as there is far more space in a stadium of this size

Sadika

Visit site
Re Marciamac: I remember the incident at Wembley and was trying to remember the name of the horse - I think it may have been a German one??
I thought a horse as high profile as Cavvy would have warrented a mention on the News. Zara Phillips horse recently was mentioned but of course that was purely because of the rider ...

TarrSteps

Visit site
But if the media had played up the tragedy, wouldn't everyone on here be screaming the sport is chronically under reported unless there's a disaster and accusing the newspapers of exploiting the worst news to sell copy?

There are all sorts of people on here complaining about the photos on Getty Images (a news site, not partisan, just photographing the facts) but isn't that news reporting? There have been far worse photos from warzones. (Of which I am not a fan, by the way.)

I know I'm going to be roundly criticised but there is a difference between "news" (the tragedy in India, economic downturn, Baby P investigation etc.) and "sports" and the only sports that get regularly covered by the major media are the sports with the biggest markets. Like it or not a dead horse, no matter how fantastic and how affecting we may find the situation, is not news. I'm sure there are all sorts of dramas in swimming and track and lacrosse every day but we don't hear about them, do we, unless it involves a bigger picture like the Olympics or high profile court case.

I recently had a conversation with someone quite "front line" in German equestrian sport about the major coverage surrounding the Olympic drug infractions and the famous video of the horrendous "horse trainer". While she maintains it will eventually be good for the sport to have everything out in the open and discussed she was pretty adamant having the major media spotlight turned their way is no fun at all right now. Can't have it both ways, though.

Btw, I'm not saying Cavvy doesn't deserve to be honoured within the community, just pointing out that we all know if it hits the big time it won't be about how wonderful a horse he was, it will be about how "he was killed in the name of sport" or similar.

SJFAN

Visit site
The horse pts after horrible accident the only time they tried an indoor bank at HOYS was ridden by a middle-aged Swiss guy. It was back in 1992 but I'm afraid I can't remember names of horse and rider. Millstreet CSI had used a similar looking but obviously better constructed bank in their indoor derby fir a number of years without there being any significant problems.

Springback

Visit site
If I can comment briefly on the photograph situation...

The majority of us that were there with cameras yesterday were equine photographers of some sort or other, but a few were obviously there because they had been commissioned to provide newsworthy photographs of the celebs.

When Mary had her fall, we all switched off and felt the same emotions shared by everyone on these forums.

A couple of photographers carried on shooting for a while before we told them to stop. I don't blame them because they didn't know that this is how we are expected to behave and for a few moments they were thinking about their job and not the significance of what was unfolding in front of them. I note that GI have now removed the offending photos as one would expect. I hope they don't reappear.

mon

Visit site
Didn't Beau Supreme ridden by Dereck Ricketts break a leg show jumping and put down in the main arena a long time ago.

SJFAN

Visit site
Yes indeed, it was in the King George V Cup, in 1976 I think. Was another completely freak accident, the sort of fall which is quite common, but this time brought about a terrible break of a foreleg. There was obviously nothing that could be done - a sight such as I hope never to see again. Derek was lucky to be thrown clear and as soon as he look towards the horse (another very talented one, but who had yet to have a chance to fulfil his potential) yelled for all to hear (and Derek is softly spoken) "he's broken his leg!" Most of the spectators were in tears. Pauline, the groom came in to be with him at the end, and left the arena totally distraught. Next afternoon, Derek's 2nd string, Tyrolean Holiday, who had been completely off form earlier in the week, jumped a superb clear, as if he understood that "his people" needed cheering up.

Faithkat

Visit site
BBC Breakfast yesterday mentioned that there had been an "equestrian event" at the Millennium Stadium but only with reference to the fact that the turf had been somewhat cut up! They also noted that the same thing had happened one year that the HOYS was held at Wembley Stadium.

I watched Sky Sports News and Setanta News (referred to as ALL SPORTS) too and all either of them talked about was ****ing football . . . . I'm sure there ARE other sports besides football . . . aren't there??????

mle22

Visit site
Don't shout at me please - but I think it's not on the news because no one outside of the equestrian/eventing community cares in the least bit about it. The average person on the street will never even have heard of either Mary or Call Again Cavalier. Only a very few horses ever capture the public imagination and they tend to be race horses, known because people bet on them. imo A lot of people's attitude would be - oh it's only a horse - different for those of us who love our horses and who are involved in the sport - we have a different view

SJFAN

Visit site
I've just tried again but get:

Error 404
Sorry, the page you have requested is not available
Please try again later

This error message may occur for a number of reasons:We are unable to locate any more files relating to this subject
The file may have been moved or deleted because it is out of date
You may have followed a link from another web site that contains an incorrect or out of date URL (web page address)
You may have typed an incorrect URL into your browser
There may be an error on the telegraph.co.uk site.

Llanali

Visit site
See I read the Telegraph website for the news daily, so when I looked at equestrian the story was there, compete with photo. I guess the link doesn't work.

mik

Visit site
Its really unbelievable, Cavvy was one of the most wonderful horses of this time and the news ignored this, bad publicity I guess, poor Mary and owners, may we send out sympathy, such a shock. Kim