Why it's essential to ice immediately following a tendon/ligament injury.

Birker2020

Visit site
This is why I think t's very good to instigate cold therapy as soon as your horse has a tendon/ligament injury.

This is me going by my other user name (long story but two user names as don't have access on computer to old user name only phone).

Picture 1 December 2019, around the 28th December to be precise. Damaged tendon fibres showing as a large hole (check ligament injury in 23yr old). Ice therapy started on the 21st December which is the day I rang the vets to inform them my horse had gone dramatically lame out on a hack and would they come and advise as no heat/swelling could be felt. Less than an hour later both heat and swelling were present. It turned out to be a check ligament. I started icing after the vet had gone and continued twice a day until second week in Feb as I was on furlough. I was mental with the ice, I would ice using an ice cup. Then around an hour later I would ice using ice vibe boots. I also used LW ultrasound for 10 mins once a day, and bandaged both front legs. Also gave anti inflammatories and my horse went on box rest.

Picture 2 end of March 2020, three months later. The hole had closed up indicating that the tendon fibres have realigned and are healing well. Horse started going out beginning of April in very small paddock which was made bigger over the course of 4 weeks.

In (I think it was June) I started hacking in walk only, up to three times a week - 2 x 20m and 1 x 50m hacks.

My vet has said previously that loads of ice therapy at initial injury means the horse recovers much quicker. Here is more information about cold therapy.

https://equusmagazine.com/horse-care/chill-factor-29633

1611667790179.png1611667799492.png

doodle

Visit site
On the other hand Minto was iced 4 times a day, followed by cold bandages. His injury progressed until he was pts.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, I don't think there is any harm to be caused by icing, even if the injury turns out to be an infection instead, happened to my horse.

I've never heard of any contra indications.

Birker2020

Visit site
Trying to get across that I see so many posts on here about people whose horses have tendon injuries and they don't react quickly enough when it comes to initial care and often ask questions days or weeks later about what they should be doing for their horse. This isn't a criticism, just trying to make people aware that you can't ice enough and this can reduce injury time by so much.