Why keep them going?

CBFan

Visit site
I don't want to go into any more detail, but there is more to this situation than just this so...If you have an old horse who is crippled with arthritis (hopping lame on two bute a day) and you can't / can't be bothered to visit them at least once a day to give them some fuss and attention and their medication, what is the point?

How would you go about suggesting to someone that the time has come?

fatpiggy

Visit site
I don't want to go into any more detail, but there is more to this situation than just this so...If you have an old horse who is crippled with arthritis (hopping lame on two bute a day) and you can't / can't be bothered to visit them at least once a day to give them some fuss and attention and their medication, what is the point?

They probably know full well but won't face up to the fact and that they are going to have to do the decent thing. When I bought my mare, the first thing my parents asked me was was I prepared to have her put down one day? I was, and I did because I loved her so much I was able to do it. By not visiting the animal regularly they are hiding their heads in the sand. In their eyes, they have buted it so that is job done. Of course it is much easier to see the truth when you are not involved with the animal, I'd be the first to say that. When I look at video I took of my mare the day before she was PTS I can see just how thin and stiff she had become. I COULD see it in real life, but it didn't seem so bad somehow.

Shantara

Visit site
We could have kept my dog going for another year or so, I think. Sure, she looked tired and she was on medication, but she had an extremely good heart (confirmed by several vets).

The day my parents told me they were booking the vet, I knew they were doing the right thing. She COULD have kept going, but she wouldn't have enjoyed herself.
I DREAD the day I have to make the call for Ned, I am actually terrified! I'm desperately hoping he makes it obvious for me, without suffering, but I have prepared myself as much as possible by watching videos, researching and similar.
It's so unfair and I really think humans should be allowed to be PTS.

rowan666

Visit site
I find with things like this its best to be blunt. Don't pussy foot around it, be honest and straight to the point. Sometimes people need a bloody good kick up the arse to do the right thing.

MS123

Visit site
I personally couldn't do it, as in, bury my head and pretend everything was ok at the cost of my horse suffering. Would never sit right with me.

As hard as it was having my late mare PTS, I felt so relieved knowing she wasn't in pain anymore.

Sometimes it's harder to hold on than it is to let go.

Last edited:

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
I've asked myself the same, in exactly the same situation at my yard. It was the second horse they had forced to drag on way too long, and no amount of hints and outright requests had worked then either.
Eventually the vet made the decision for them when the poor horse colicked four times in a week.

misskk88

Visit site
For those not wanting to face facts out of love for their animal, I would be straight to the point but empathetic.

For those who don't see it as their responsibility out of sheer laziness or lack of care, I would be straight to the point, and would probably drop in there that their refusal to act is potentially a welfare issue. I know that sounds harsh, but sometimes the only way to prompt people of this nature are for them to understand the consequences for themselves, because are they too selfish to see it any other way.

turkana

Visit site
I have a much loved oldie (she's 23) who is going blind, she is bright eyed & bushy tailed but the vet is coming out on Tuesday to look at her eyes, if they have deteriorated I will call it day.
So I might be having a happy, healthy horse put down on Tuesday but I want her last days to be happy ones, I'm dreading it but I won't let her get so bad that she starts to suffer.
It's a tough call but it is our duty to make that decision in a timely manner.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
There are two issues here, one that the owner is not taking care of the horse and two, whether the horse should be PTS or whether with better care, it would have a decent quality of life.
Deciding a horse should be PTS can be quite a subjective one. Last winter there were two oldies on my yard that various people thought should be released from their suffering. Fortunately both horses have dedicated owners who battled to find the right treatment and did indeed manage to turn their horses around and this winter both of them are happy and doing really well.

So, before telling an owner to put the horse down, why not try to get the owners arse into gear and start looking after the horse properly, preferably with the guidance of a vet.

3OldPonies

Visit site
There are two issues here, one that the owner is not taking care of the horse and two, whether the horse should be PTS or whether with better care, it would have a decent quality of life.
Deciding a horse should be PTS can be quite a subjective one. Last winter there were two oldies on my yard that various people thought should be released from their suffering. Fortunately both horses have dedicated owners who battled to find the right treatment and did indeed manage to turn their horses around and this winter both of them are happy and doing really well.

So, before telling an owner to put the horse down, why not try to get the owners arse into gear and start looking after the horse properly, preferably with the guidance of a vet.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Jsye

Visit site
I know of a similar situation on my yard.
Elderly mare, very arthritic and spends 98% of the week in her stable. She doesn't get taken for walks, she goes on the walker about twice a week for 30 mins each time. She's not currently on any pain medication because owner feels that it is damaging for the liver (mare is late 20's at a guess) Even though me and others have suggested giving horse bute/danilon.

No amount of hints makes her see daylight. Weekly she tells me the horse is lame (again) and I reply oh how do you know? To which i get oh she was lame walking back into her stable ... yet she never gets the vet. I feel awful on this poor horse as i hear her groaning trying to get up and down in her stable.

But how do you get through to a person about helping their horse when they seem to point blank refuse/bury their head in the sand. There's always the risk of being called a busy body who just needs to mind their own business - yet its always the poor horse that suffers.

I wish some people loved their horses enough to not be selfish and do the right thing.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I also have an issue with an elderly horse at our fields. We care for her daily and have been given authority to have the horse PTS in owners absence (she is away a lot) but ultimately it is her decision. If it was mine then she wouldn't have gone through last winter. It seems the owner is reluctant to make the final decision. I now think her eyesight is beginning to fail and I can see the light fading. I can't bear to see it and have spoken to the owner a few times but at the end of the day I can't force her.

I've not been in that position yet, although it will come in the next 10 years or so I guess as my pony is 21, so I can't judge. When the time comes though with Benji I won't hold off. I owe him that much.

puss

Visit site
We have a girl like that at our yard horse twenty six knee high in it's own poo never comes down to him people chucking hay over the door for him. I did tell her to pts for his sake she burst into tears but still she does nothing.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I've dealt with a situation very similar. It was my fathers horse, TB, early 30's, very very stiff, unable to eat well due to very long and missing teeth, too lean, suffered from fistulous withers, and had days when fresh water wasn't available, but did get fed a bucket of oats daily! Kept on feet of deep litter, stunk to high heaven. For a good 3 YEARS I said, don't keep him another winter, it isn't fair, he doesn't enjoy it. Anyway, when father went on holiday, I was left in charge. One day he was very sore again, so I got the hunt. To be honest it was what father wanted, he just couldn't do it himself.

I'd point it out blankly, and say this is what I see. I'd go on to say it isn't pleasant and if you want arrangements to be made, then I'd be happy to do it for them. Love is often blind as they say. It might also show them that you care about their horse, and they might like that.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

If the horse is hopping on 2 bute a day I would think the latter might well not be successful.

I would be blunt OP.

minesadouble

Visit site
If the horse is hopping on 2 bute a day I would think the latter might well not be successful.

I would be blunt OP.

In the initial post the OP States the owner does not attend her horse daily to medicate so sounds like the administration of bute is very hit and miss.
Being blunt is not always the best way. It depends very much on the type of person the owner is.

CBFan

Visit site
Thank you for the replies. Yes horse is hopping on two bute a day and when horse turns, she pivots on her hind legs (feet don't leave the ground), which to me demonstrates a lack of mobility in the back end.

Horse is out 24/7 and gets adequate hay and water so is cared for in that respect (by others) but it is coming to light that the owner doesn't really want to be coming down daily. I might need the vet to see my horse in the next week or so, so I might suggest to the owner that the vet takes a look at her horse at the same time.

As I said, there is more to this situation but I don't want to say too much on here just in case. Thank you.

CBFan

Visit site
In the initial post the OP States the owner does not attend her horse daily to medicate so sounds like the administration of bute is very hit and miss.
Being blunt is not always the best way. It depends very much on the type of person the owner is.

Just to clarify, she does get her meds daily (at slightly varying times) but it seems that this is all the owner turns up to do - no fuss or attention, just meds and she's off, but the last few weeks or so indicate that getting down daily is a problem so it has been left to other people a few days a week.

mrswad

Visit site
I had a similar situation on a previous yard. I brought the subject up & offered to be there for "the deed" if the owner didn't want to be there. Once she acknowledged the problem she asked about "how it would be done" and on the day she did come for that last walk with the horse to where the vet was waiting. I stayed with her all the way through giving plenty of positive reinforcement that this was the right thing to do. Death is still such a taboo in our society and possibly having a horse put to sleep is almost easier for those who attend their animals regularly; they have seen the deterioration. Those owners who don't see to their animals properly / regularly can duck the issue.

Doublethyme

Visit site

Brilliantly put.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I have to say I despise people who won't do the right thing when the time arrives, it is pure selfishness.

Exactly this. I've no time for anyone who can't see what is in front of their eyes regarding the condition and welfare of their animals and do the right thing by them, there is no excuse for it; they don't deserve them and I will be as blunt as you like which will make me sound cruel but I'm only thinking of the poor horses who don't deserve to be treated so badly.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
The problem is that, as someone else said, the point at which you make the decision is subjective. Some people will put to sleep as soon as an animal is ill, others will treat and medicate and keep their animal longer. Neither is wrong, it is personal choice. What worries me here is the lack of care on a daily basis, more then the pts. The medication could be put up and the animal feel better but how can she asses how the animal is if she is never with it. I would condemn no one for finding it hard to end the life of their pet, I do not think she needs a kick, I think she needs help. I think the suggestion of the OP to talk her in to the vet is the best idea.

mcnaughty

Visit site

If they are not visiting once a day, how can they be on two bute a day?

Evie91

Visit site
Good point mcnaughty! I was thinking the same. Seems owner doesn't care but up until recently must be visiting twice a day to give bute- also must be paying for bute, so assume vet must have some knowledge of the horse.

I'm a little peturbed to be honest - my horse is arthritic and has two bute a day ( vet aware and in agreement).In the week I don't spend hours fussing the horse ( but do at weekends). My mornings start v early and my evenings finish v late - so my movements wouldn't be noticed by someone who worked less hours, perhaps it would be assumed my horse wasn't cared for.
Personally I can't abide it when people treat horses as a commodity and PTS at the first sign or illness or when caring for them is no longer convenient, cost effective etc.
My horse may be arthritic but she has a lovely life and is happy - enjoys the odd canter, rolls everyday and has plenty of character. I know this ( or at least I hoped this) isn't about my horse, but it's really hit a nerve!!! I don't have the full facts but don't think owner would be medicating horse twice a day if she really didn't care!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Maybe the horse is on full livery?

I have never understood the whole 'give the horse one last summer' and 'he won't last another winter'. If the horse is suffering, why prolong it? For whose sake? There was one recently on my yard and it just broke my heart. The horse wasn't left for long, but long enough to see it clearly struggle. I hope, when it's my boy's time, that I recognise and do it ASAP for his sake, never mind my feelings.

PStarfish

Visit site
There can be two sides to this. I have a Shetland mare who I was gifted along with her three companions, two years ago. She is clearly very aged (no one can say how old but I would hazard a guess into 30's). She is also visibly lame. She is under vets care and they think she probably had her pelvis crushed at some point so now a mixture of mechanical lameness combined with arthritis means she always drags a hind toe. She is on 1/2 Bute daily but still drags a toe. However, she is bright, alert, pushes me around as soon as she sees her bucket. She spends her days pottering round a large field with her friends, she has free range of YO's garden if she fancies, and generally acts the geriatric when it suits her! A number of times I have questioned myself whether it is right to keep her going, but every time I reach the same answer - yes. She shows no signs of depression, exhaustion or generally having had enough of life. Quite the opposite. She doesn't get groomed (all my shets are left Au natural), she doesn't go for walks, she gets fed twice daily, has a little fuss at the same time but other than that is left alone. Is she any less loved - hell no. Could I justify having her pts because of her condition. No. I'm no fluffy bunny and have had to make the call a couple of times before, but for her, the time is not right. Yet to the outside world, she would look like an unkempt (think grey pony on Sandy soil - I call her 'brey'!!) lame pony.

CBFan

Visit site
Good point mcnaughty! I was thinking the same. Seems owner doesn't care but up until recently must be visiting twice a day to give bute- also must be paying for bute, so assume vet must have some knowledge of the horse.

I'm a little peturbed to be honest - my horse is arthritic and has two bute a day ( vet aware and in agreement).In the week I don't spend hours fussing the horse ( but do at weekends). My mornings start v early and my evenings finish v late - so my movements wouldn't be noticed by someone who worked less hours, perhaps it would be assumed my horse wasn't cared for.
Personally I can't abide it when people treat horses as a commodity and PTS at the first sign or illness or when caring for them is no longer convenient, cost effective etc.
My horse may be arthritic but she has a lovely life and is happy - enjoys the odd canter, rolls everyday and has plenty of character. I know this ( or at least I hoped this) isn't about my horse, but it's really hit a nerve!!! I don't have the full facts but don't think owner would be medicating horse twice a day if she really didn't care!

The horse isn't being buted twice a day. It is getting 2 bute a day - in one go. If the owner can't be there, she makes arrangements for her to be buted. Owner doesn't work. I don't advocate PTS at the first sign of illness either but horse in question was very stiff and sore even in summer and still on two bute a day. I'm not saying owner doesn't care. I'm just questioning the enjoyment in keeping an animal who is this crippled alive, when you don't spend ANY time enjoying each others company other than to feed a small bucket feed with bute in it.