Why? (Moan alert)

starfish8

Visit site
Why? Just why?! When you do everything you possibly can for the horses so you get hit with a seemingly never ending stream of bad luck. Fix one problem, on to the next - despite trying to do everything right, no expense spared... and yet there are plenty of people out there who don't really give a monkeys yet have perfectly sound healthy horses all the time.

Yes, I am feeling sorry for myself, yes I know it's horses, yes I know conjunctivitis isn't the end of the world, yes I know there are people with worse problems... but after losing my boy this year and finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with my mare, after getting through 9 months of knocks, kicks, mud fever, hormones & about a million other things I would just like a break.

Apologies for the whiny ranty depressing post, just needed to vent.

Irishdraughtx

Visit site
I know exactly how you're feeling, lost my horse in June to a check ligament injury and was horrid those months while he was lame watching people who like you said don't really care what they do with their horses hacking and enjoying themselves. I find myself asking 'why me' all the time lol!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yeah know how you feel but I think it's just horses one thing after another is common, had the same thing last year both horses needed a vet one lame one had an infection 2 insurance claims going, then one scratches his eye a nice £350 vet bill then the other one gets choke another £450, then I break my ankle was glad to see the back of that year.

Keep your chin up it can only get better:)

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, moan away! I totally get it.

I've had my horse 15 months now, and in that time she's had gastric ulcers, bad back, and now a septic hock injury which was very nearly fatal. I've not sat on her since the beginning of July, and we have at least another 5 weeks of box rest and restricted turn out to go before I can sit on her again!!

Grump grump... ��

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's amazing what kind of stuff some people get away with. Piss poor management, leaving horses in entirely unsafe areas, all sorts of low level rubbish, and some really dodgy incidents - but their horses remain sound (or, sound enough they don't notice an issue), and seemingly unharmed by their terrible lives. Other people seem to have incident after incident, despite taking reasonable precautions and not being feckless halfwits.

The only conclusion I have come to is that it simply isn't fair.

starfish8

Visit site
Thanks for the moral support. Sorry you're having/had a rough time - at least we can now all say we're not alone in our crappy boats I suppose. Not that I want anyone else to be in this particular dinghy with me mind, don't like to think of other horses/owners having issue after issue.

It's mean tho that every time it seems to be getting better, it takes a nosedive again.

pippixox

Visit site
I feel you!
In the space of one week my pony was diagnosed with severe liver damage (out of the blue burnt his socks, never been sick in 7 years). My mare developed sweet itch aged 15: found her one morning having rubbed her back end red raw and then a few days later my retired ex racer had mystery cellulitis in one back leg! Just as I was starting to struggle with being heavily pregnant and trying to finish my sports massage diploma: when they should of been low maintenance as it was May time

Theocat

Visit site
Oh my God yes. I completely agree.

Although a lot of those couldn't-care-less types with "sound" horses are blissfully ignorant rather than lucky!

SEL

Visit site
I think I'm going to get to the end of 2018 and be able to count on one hand the weeks my mare was sound 😠 But yes, a lot of people can't spot lameness and carry on regardless

scats

Visit site
I feel your pain. My horses get everything- no expense spared ever. Regardless of whether they are ridden or retired. Yet for the last 15 years at least, I have had more disasters than you would believe. My friends and family call me the walking number 13.

I am banned from being the first through the front door on New Year. Apparently I will bring some sort of curse to the family if I do!

Bertolie

Visit site
My mare has been hit with a string of problems since the end of June 2017. Headshaking, medial/lateral foot imbalance, undiagnosed hind lameness, liver damage, and currently just coming to the end of our 8th week of box rest for laminitis with the promise of another 5 months minimum and still no guarantees. Just as we think we are getting somewhere, something else happens. I currently have three insurance claims on the go and have only ridden 3 times in the last 14 months.

skint1

Visit site
Ah, i can relate, it's not that you would ill wish any horse, no matter how selfish, unwittingly cruel etc their owner- but sometimes you do wish you could catch a break.

mandyroberts

Visit site
It does seem unfair that some people who really don't care properly for their horses get away with it. What really drives me insane is that I get the occasional mild colic in the winter. I never make sudden changes to their routine or feed or hay but it happens. The vet says its caused by extreme weather changes - I can't control that....Occasional means once every 2 or 3 years.
I wonder if some people don't notice mild colic or just see how it goes?

Undecided

Visit site
Rant away, I’m glad to see I’m not the only one in the same boat. It’s a terribly lonely experience watching everyone else enjoy themselves while you put literal blood sweat and tears into managing your horse and nothing seems to go right.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one... I swear it comes in fits n starts and probably follows certain horses too.

:( wishing you a good run soon x

TPO

Visit site
It's amazing what kind of stuff some people get away with. Piss poor management, leaving horses in entirely unsafe areas, all sorts of low level rubbish, and some really dodgy incidents - but their horses remain sound (or, sound enough they don't notice an issue), and seemingly unharmed by their terrible lives. Other people seem to have incident after incident, despite taking reasonable precautions and not being feckless halfwits.

The only conclusion I have come to is that it simply isn't fair.

This 100%

I've been there and so have many of my friends. All the while the ignorant and selfish continue not to cafe for, ride and compete broken horses without a second thought.

I'm so lucky (x10000) that my parents have just bought a place so I can keep my horse, with mum's horses, at their home and because of that I have escaped the hell that was livery.

The only way I got through it was to live in my own bubble and ignore the horses who weren't fed hay, underweight, burst mouths, sore/bald sides from spurs, chronically lame, illegally "diy" shod, never seen a vet/dentist/physio/saddle fitter and competed while lame and coughing up phlegm. It wasn't easy; in fact its heart breaking.

What had any horse ever done to deserve owners and lives like that? :(