Why No Gore Tex Equestrian Jackets?! Very Particular Waterproof Jacket Hunt

Flame_

Visit site
The Ri-Dry classic coats are very good traditional riding jackets if you can stand that sort of look. Been around for years in the hunting and shooting set, and seem to last and stay fully waterproof for ever.

I caved in and got one last year. Flattering they aren’t, but very comfortable to wear.

This is a pro pic taken the day after Storm Babet. We were all dressed for another deluge, but it was unexpectedly mild and dry - I didn’t sweat up or feel in any way constricted under my Ri-Dry. It looks like a waxed jacket but isn’t.

ETA cross posted with palo1 🤣

View attachment 136009
That's really similar to the Musto I have now. I'd end up - doing a rising trot - sitting down on it, pulling it down at the back and strangling myself, also being annoyed by the high collar on that one. I think it looks very nice though!

Fieldlife

Visit site
So, I have one. Some navy and red "showjumping" line Musto did about 25 years ago when they tried introducing gore tex to the equestrian market. It's not had heavy use and is still going strong but it's too long, big and flappy on me for riding in beyond walk hacking. I can't bleeding find an upgrade and I've been looking for months. Running, cycling and general outdoor stuff seems no good - I have a short upper body, small waist, big bum and fairly wide horse - I need a jacket that's fitted down to a high waist that is either really, properly short (think fashion denim jacket length) or, preferably, a bit longer, but not so long I could sit on it, with a two-way zip and riding vents. Even a very short style would probably need, at least, the two-way zip. I cannot be doing with hoods, so any hoods must be detachable. Also no zips that extend up sticky-up collars that end up poking me in the chin. If by some miracle, anyone has the jacket like mine in a small size mothballed away in a cupboard somewhere, that might work.

Does anyone have, or know of, this unicorn? Happy to buy new or used.
I have a kerrit riding jacket that fits the bill, I think. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284010626608?chn=ps&_ul=GB&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Kerrits Cascade Waterproof Jacket

Vents with magnetic closure poppers.

Hood removable (zips on / off)

Fieldlife

Visit site
The Ri-Dry classic coats are very good traditional riding jackets if you can stand that sort of look. Been around for years in the hunting and shooting set, and seem to last and stay fully waterproof for ever.

I caved in and got one last year. Flattering they aren’t, but very comfortable to wear.

This is a pro pic taken the day after Storm Babet. We were all dressed for another deluge, but it was unexpectedly mild and dry - I didn’t sweat up or feel in any way constricted under my Ri-Dry. It looks like a waxed jacket but isn’t.

ETA cross posted with palo1 🤣

View attachment 136009
Are the Ri-Dri breathable, or do you sweat under one?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Are the Ri-Dri breathable, or do you sweat under one?
Very decently breathable 🙂.

That pic was take on a two hour trek on Cannock Chase, and considering how wet it was underfoot after Storm Babet we had a decently paced ride with a number of canters. I didn’t heat up underneath the Ri-Dry at all. Very much nicer to ride in than my old Barbour waxed jacket, which was like riding in my own sauna!

Jambarissa

Visit site
I've got a didrikson one that sounds a lot like you're looking for. Little longer than waist length, 2 way zip, waterproof and breathable. It's ancient but maybe look there or on ebay for an older one.

Flame_

Visit site
Tested my new Musto smock at Somerford Winter Farm Ride in light, persistent rain.

The review so far is very positive. Apart from being a bitch to get on (and I did want close fitting so, yeah, a size up would be easier but not so great once on), and having too much thick neoprene on the waist which will be sweltering in summer, oh, and it's really, really orange ☺️, it's grand. Fits perfectly, really easy to ride properly in, just like a sweater. It's not stiff, crackly or restrictive and the fitting round the neck is brilliant. It kept me completely dry. It doesn't claim to be the high level waterproof rating, I'll have to shell out for the gore-tex version for that, but feel more confident doing so now I've tried this one. Plus the more waterproof you go, the more you forfeit breathability, as mentioned before so happy for now and at some point will probably get a really wet weather one too. 👍