Why oh why...

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
do ponies wait until nice farrier goes on holiday and then cast a shoe - at the furthest point away from the yard meaning we had to return shortest route back..on busy road meeting every vehicle she hates. And it was such a perfect day to ride - warm, still, damp ground underfoot - no tractors or combines in the fields I set out with love in my heart for the whole world. Now after ringing round and leaving messages with farriers I haven't used before Ive gone from "can you reshoe totally" to "have you time to whip off three remaining shoes and file" and I ll wait til own farrier back and Im not feeling the love much anymore.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Because they can?

Mine are only ill/injured when my regular vet is away...
Yep, I left my boy one Saturday am at 9.00 am, [I rode him up and down the road at 8.30 am as I am not used to leaving him], got a call / text an hour later from the irate person who was supposed to be looking after him to tell me he was lame and she had stuck him back in his stable, and did I know she had to pay for an instructor to come and instruct on a lame horse Really? ........... don't you have the courtesy to tell the owner what you are going to do ........ the agreement was to look after him in exchange for riding, but since she could not ride she just left him in his stable ......... so I had a weekend of worry, the YO is not capable of checking legs properly, but reported no obvious cuts/heat/lameness.
To be honest, how could he have got lame in 45minutes? Only one way ........... she must have crashed him in to a fence. He jumps carefully, but you have to start with a tiny pop and work up to something bigger, as he does not get jumped very often.
He was fine. I have never seen him lame except THE ABSCESS, and that was a major drama!
Yes, things always happen when and where it is most inconvenient.

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Im feeling more mellow now - a friends farrier called back and will meet me at yard at 8am to sort mare out - hurray..but Friday feeling wine intake will be reduced so Im bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning! Bonkers2 that must have irritated the h*ll out of you - its such a leap of faith leaving ponies for any length of time with anyone (harder than leaving children I think) and for them to worry you so early on...nightmare. I actually thought Id been smart this time - I knew when farriers holiday was and he came last week to reshoe daughters pony and checked and tightened clenches on my mare so I thought we d manage the two weeks away - never mind what will be..and all that. Now Im hoping high winds don't materialise and friend and I can ride out after mare fixed.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
As the owner of a horse who only ever gets ill/very lame on a Sunday I feel your pain. The dropping a shoe miles from home was a party trick of my old boy too, I then had to walk him home on foot because he was adamant that he couldn't walk minus a shoe :rolleyes: He also loved getting ill on Sundays/around Christmas. Thank god we love them!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
As the owner of a horse who only ever gets ill/very lame on a Sunday I feel your pain. The dropping a shoe miles from home was a party trick of my old boy too, I then had to walk him home on foot because he was adamant that he couldn't walk minus a shoe :rolleyes: He also loved getting ill on Sundays/around Christmas. Thank god we love them!

Yes Ive noticed poorly ponies wait to be ill until after 5pm so the vets callout fee is huge!