Why own a Warmblood when you could have an Iberian?

Kat

Visit site
Definately agree, I've got no problem with any other breeds, I just wish people would investigate a bit more to find a horse that is right for them.
You hear so many stories of people being constantly thrown off and injured and not enjoying riding anymore but keeping the horse anyway!

Um what makes you qualified to say that an iberian would be more suitable for any particular person than a warmblood? I think most people probably do their best to find a horse that is suitable for them and their needs. People don't generally go out to buy an unsuitable horse :rolleyes:

As I said before better to find a horse that suits you in ability, temprement and nature and forget the breed.

My warmblood is an absolute saint, she has helped a nervous rider to enjoy hacking, even hacking alone and she isn't even 5 yet. She is one of the best hacking "nannies" on the yard despite being the baby. She was also one of the only horses that didn't react to the halloween decorations in our indoor school or the christmas tree. But clearly as she is a warmblood we should sell her and buy an iberian before we become too terrified to sit on her! :rolleyes:

rhino

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with owning a horse you don't ride, just don't keep it because you are scared of it or because it is the wrong horse for you. It seems to happen too often.

Why does that matter to you? If someone is happy just looking after a horse why should they feel they need to sell it? I don't believe horses dream at night about competing :rolleyes: :)

Kat

Visit site
Because they don't all have amazing temperaments, the same as any breed...

Certainly the one that bit a groom so badly he was taken by ambulance to hospital while I was on holiday didn't have a fantastic temprement. Left blood all over the yard, poor groom was just walking past on his way to another box.

All breeds have their good and bad examples.

DuchessKizzy

Visit site
Would just like to draw your attention to this post on a different thread by suzied:
Lusos are excellent all rounders. As well as dressage - you can see them doing affilliated PSG & higher & have competed at the Olympics - & showing, you can find them show jumping, hunting, eventing, doing endurance & le trec. They are top level carriage horses, fight bulls & are world champions at working equitation, a discipline which involves dressage, cow cutting & negotiating 2 obstacle courses, one against the clock, which can be described as a cross between Western riding, handy horse, mounted games & working hunter, only harder. At top level, all phases are performed ridden with one hand! They are very athletic, agile, proud horses with natural balance & speed, sensitive, intelligent, quick to learn & easy to train. After all, Lusos & their Spanish cousins were renowned war horses throughout history - hence their ability for airs above the ground, which were originally battle movements, and the reason why Iberian blood can be found in many of the native breeds of Europe & the Americas. Once ridden forever smitten!!!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
I have 5 Iberians and I have to agree with the poster who said that not all are kind, trainable and easy going. Iberians are trainable no doubt about it and they tend to be intelligent, BUT they are also sensitive and not everybody's cup of tea. Each horse is an individual and horses for courses, some people like warmbloods and some Iberians, live and let live.

DuchessKizzy

Visit site
I have 5 Iberians and I have to agree with the poster who said that not all are kind, trainable and easy going. Iberians are trainable no doubt about it and they tend to be intelligent, BUT they are also sensitive and not everybody's cup of tea. Each horse is an individual and horses for courses, some people like warmbloods and some Iberians, live and let live.

Totally agree, I just wish other people wouldn't judge before they had any experience of riding or living with these horses. I bet some people who bothered to find out a bit more about Lusos and Andalusians would be suprised.

rhino

Visit site
Would just like to draw your attention to this post on a different thread by suzied:
Lusos are excellent all rounders. As well as dressage - you can see them doing affilliated PSG & higher & have competed at the Olympics - & showing, you can find them show jumping, hunting, eventing, doing endurance & le trec. They are top level carriage horses.

And you could say the exact same about warmbloods. And thoroughbreds... It is not 'unique' to Iberians.

I don't know if you are in the UK or not, but Iberians very rarely do well showing in anything except Breed classes. It is rare to see a pure bred doing anything to a high level affiliated in sj or eventing, although there have been a couple of very nice partbreds.

Even if you are talking about lower level competitions, then why do people need a specific breed anyway. Any breed of horse or pony can compete at RC level for instance.

An Iberian warmblood is precisely that, a warmblood containing some Iberian blood. We used to have a lovely one at the yard, ex Int SJ and schooled in all the advanced movements dressage, owned by a world class classical dressage trainer..

Kat

Visit site
Lusos are excellent all rounders. As well as dressage - you can see them doing affilliated PSG & higher & have competed at the Olympics - & showing, you can find them show jumping, hunting, eventing, doing endurance & le trec. They are top level carriage horses, fight bulls & are world champions at working equitation, a discipline which involves dressage, cow cutting & negotiating 2 obstacle courses, one against the clock, which can be described as a cross between Western riding, handy horse, mounted games & working hunter, only harder. At top level, all phases are performed ridden with one hand! They are very athletic, agile, proud horses with natural balance & speed, sensitive, intelligent, quick to learn & easy to train. After all, Lusos & their Spanish cousins were renowned war horses throughout history - hence their ability for airs above the ground, which were originally battle movements, and the reason why Iberian blood can be found in many of the native breeds of Europe & the Americas. Once ridden forever smitten!!!

That is all a sweeping generalisation though, not necessarily true of all iberians, and much of it could also be said of warmbloods. See:

WBs are excellent all rounders. As well as dressage which you can see them doing to Grand Prix level, you can find them show jumping at the highest level, hunting, eventing to 4* level, showing, doing endurance & le trec. They are top level carriage horses. They are very athletic, agile, proud horses with natural balance & speed, sensitive, intelligent, quick to learn & easy to train. Once ridden forever smitten!!

rhino

Visit site
Totally agree, I just wish other people wouldn't judge before they had any experience of riding or living with these horses. I bet some people who bothered to find out a bit more about Lusos and Andalusians would be suprised.

And why are you presuming we don't have the experience and are making a conscious decision to buy a horse that suits us, regardless of its breed?

Montyforever

Visit site
I love andalucians, but if a warmblood came up better suited for what I was looking for I would go with the warmblood :)
People assume a horse will act the way the breed should, but since owning a welsh a who likes to think she's a tb/Arab. And working with a irish cob who thought he was a tb I know this isn't the case

JFTDWS

Visit site
Even if you are talking about lower level competitions, then why do people need a specific breed anyway. Any breed of horse or pony can compete at RC level for instance.

I have every intention of taking Fergs to elementary level or higher... And he's not even a wb - let alone an iberian :eek:

rhino

Visit site
I have every intention of taking Fergs to elementary level or higher... And he's not even a wb - let alone an iberian :eek:

I have heard a number of dressage trainers say that almost any horse or pony has the ability to be trained to PSG level - there's a better challenge for you!

TicTac

Visit site
I love my warmblood as she's very smart and beautiful ( which can be said of many breeds of course ) She's actually very polite and well behaved most of the time and on the whole is less trouble than my connemara x TB !

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com

TBH in all the years I have had them (20+) I have not come up against people pre judging them, or perhaps it is that I could not give a **** about what other people think, my horses compete and the prejudice now is not nearly as much as it was back then, in fact more and more people want them these days, they are also much more affordable than people think, you pay no more for a decent Iberian than you would for a decent Warmblood.

I also disagree strongly with the poster who would only import, she obviously has not done her homework in the UK. I have seen people get ripped off and sold substandard horses from Spain at over inflated prices, simply because they do not know what to look for.

Kat

Visit site

Ummm you're the one judging. No one has slated iberians, well maybe QoC.... most people are just pointing out that like any breed they have their good and bad and they have their strengths and weaknesses.

I've ridden an andalusian, she was very nice. So is my warmblood, so was the welsh D I used to share, so was the TB I used to share, the cob I used to ride etc etc etc If I had found a nice iberian within budget when I was horse shopping I would have bought it, had I found a nice ID within budget I would have bought that too but I didn't so I have a warmblood. She does exactly what I wanted her to do. I'm not ignorant of the existance of iberian horses I chose a horse that suited me and was available nearby at a suitable price.

rhino

Visit site
Iberians very rarely do well showing in anything except Breed classes.

Because they don't fit into the typical colour, shape of the other horses/ponies which enters these classes. Which are usually very similar, colour particularly.

What? Barring classes restricted to 'coloured' or 'special colours' ANY colour horse or pony can compete showing?

I'm not trying to prove that Iberian's can't do things, but trying to point out that other breeds can, equally well at least!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have heard a number of dressage trainers say that almost any horse or pony has the ability to be trained to PSG level - there's a better challenge for you!

Most highlands struggle with true extension, and I only know of one at Medium (I think - or maybe AM?) but tbh, I think I am more likely to be the hinderance above elementary than him :eek:

Aim low and avoid failure - I have a chance of getting to elementary :eek:

rara007

Visit site
Because they don't fit into the typical colour, shape of the other horses/ponies which enters these classes. Which are usually very similar, colour particularly.

I love the idea that Iberians don't win top level riding horse or hunter classes because they're the wrong colour :D
I don't have any stats on the colours of the HOYS winners this year but I'm pretty sure they're not all the same across all the classes for each type :rolleyes:

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Ummm you're the one judging. No one has slated iberians, well maybe QoC.... most people are just pointing out that like any breed they have their good and bad and they have their strengths and weaknesses.

Doh, meant to say the same thing, OP you are the one being judgemental!

Also meant to add that when I take my girls out, I do not get looked down upon in the slightest, quite the opposite tends to happen and people want to know more about them. Makes me think the OP is very young and not that experienced tbh.

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
Why wouldn't you gel with a horse with an amazing temperament?

For me, it takes more than the horse being nice for me to gel with it. There has to be a connection I feel. That this is the horse for me. Obviously, that is a one sided thing because I don't want to humanise horses. That said, I cannot gel with every nice horse that I meet.