Why own a Warmblood when you could have an Iberian?

DuchessKizzy

Visit site
I have enough experience to know that when we first got our Iberian people couldn't understand why we'd bought a 'circus horse'. They didn't think much of the lengths we had gone to to find him rather than stay at home and only look around locally. Had we have done that we would never have found the amazing horse we have today.

So I speak from my own experience of people looking down on Iberian horses, I'm simply trying to understand what people have against them and trying to show people what they are missing.

DuchessKizzy

Visit site
I don't think you know you've 'gelled' with a horse until you've lived with it for a while, I just think a good temperament makes it more likely that you will gel with it.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
I have enough experience to know that when we first got our Iberian people couldn't understand why we'd bought a 'circus horse'. They didn't think much of the lengths we had gone to to find him rather than stay at home and only look around locally. Had we have done that we would never have found the amazing horse we have today.

So I speak from my own experience of people looking down on Iberian horses, I'm simply trying to understand what people have against them and trying to show people what they are missing.

Well I can honestly say that not one person has looked down on my Iberians, not one!

rhino

Visit site
OP - here are some horses you may find interesting:

Novelheiro
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10246524
Him and his partbred son Crown Cornelian were both competed in this country by John Whitaker

Jester's Quest
Partbred (Luso/tb) competed at 4* level eventing
http://www.britisheventing.com/asp-net/Events/Results.aspx?HorseId=35505

Icon - Luso x Arab stallion
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/stallionsandstuds/418/62679.html
Did decently eventing

Also look for Yardah stud if you want to see Iberian Warmbloods

So yes, they are there but they are very much in the minority, and I for one don't think that's due to lack of knowledge of the Iberians.

cptrayes

Visit site
I don't look down on Iberians in any way, but I had one in my care for a while the year before last (who had won his dressage class at the Nationals for Iberian horses). I was happy to part with him and continue with my warmbloods because they move so much bigger, extend so much more and have so much more power than he did. I also like 17 handers and you don't tend to get Iberians that big.

legyield

Visit site
I've lived, worked with and ridden both Warmbloods and Iberians. As others have said, there's good and bad examples of both types. I wouldn't write off either and have fallen in love with plenty. There may well be some common aspects in both types with regards to temperament and ability but having said that, I see horses as individuals rather than fall for the stereotypes that are often bandied about. Breed comes a bit further down the line for me; as nice as it is to say you have a Warmblood or an Iberian I couldn't care less if the horse is a donkey if it has the ability to do what I want to do and has the temperament to match.
Having said that, the horse in my avatar is a PRE. He was only about 15.2hh and although had a cracking temperament, was really quite lazy, 10 years old, could do a bit of spanish walk and had a nice collected trot however wasn't particularly eyecatching (and I say this even though I did really fall in love with him although he was often surrounded by extremely eyecatching, 16.2hh PSG horses so there's no wonder) and didn't do anything but dressage. I was offered him for the price of £8,000 plus transport etc. Couldn't help but think "I could get an absolutely amazing young warmblood for that!"

Last edited:

traceyann

Visit site
I can only go by my Iberian but they do not forgive or forget abuse even if it wasnt you doing it but my little pony was excellent jumper and would have been a excellent speed horse and did a good dressage and they are very sharp horses. And i never knew where i stood with him. My WB is a true gent and i know their not all the same but he rubbish at dressage and only any good at crosscountry.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Well, I have a 1/2 Luso 1/4 TB 1/4 NF and trust me - I'm from yorkshire - he wasn't expensive ;) :D

He has a pulled mane, is clipped, looks like a 'normal' horse.

TBH I don't get the fuss - surely a WB is essentially a TB crossed with a native? Therefore andalusians are spanish warmbloods, and lusos are portuguese warmbloods, and conn x TBs are irish warmbloods, and dartmoor x TB are devon warmbloods? :confused: :D

I like him, but I like HIM not necessarily all iberians, I do think many are very pwetty, and are just as capable of anything that any other breed is. I've never had anyone look down on me for having him, people used to offer to buy him as a 5/6/7 year old :)

Amaranta

Visit site
I don't look down on Iberians in any way, but I had one in my care for a while the year before last (who had won his dressage class at the Nationals for Iberian horses). I was happy to part with him and continue with my warmbloods because they move so much bigger, extend so much more and have so much more power than he did. I also like 17 handers and you don't tend to get Iberians that big.

Sorry you are quite wrong, the modern PREs have huge movement and size, ranging from 16.2 - 17.3, not your fault, it is a common misconception, there are also the smaller, more baroque types too.

I would invite you to come and sit on my 16.3 mare and say that there is not enough power, even my trainer, a died in the wool warmblood person has been converted and has in fact now bought 2 Iberians. This mare has an extended trot to rival any warmblood, and she just gives it to you, it is her party piece.

Lusitanos have been 16hh++ for several years now and also have massive movement.

Amaranta

Visit site
Well, I have a 1/2 Luso 1/4 TB 1/4 NF and trust me - I'm from yorkshire - he wasn't expensive ;) :D

He has a pulled mane, is clipped, looks like a 'normal' horse.

TBH I don't get the fuss - surely a WB is essentially a TB crossed with a native? Therefore andalusians are spanish warmbloods, and lusos are portuguese warmbloods, and conn x TBs are irish warmbloods, and dartmoor x TB are devon warmbloods? :confused: :D

I like him, but I like HIM not necessarily all iberians, I do think many are very pwetty, and are just as capable of anything that any other breed is. I've never had anyone look down on me for having him, people used to offer to buy him as a 5/6/7 year old :)

Iberians whether from Portugal or Spain are in fact hotbloods not warmbloods. There is also a cross called the Tres Sangres (anglo arab x pre) which in effect means Three Blood after the three hot bloods (TB/Arab/PRE)

Kat

Visit site
Agree rara007 I'm pretty sure being a grey would be an advantage in a sea of boring bays in a riding horse or ridden hunter. In fact Robert Oliver said as much about my friend's grey in the search for a star finals!

*owner of a boring bay who is grateful for the ease of grooming but jealous of pretty colours and flashy markings*

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Iberians whether from Portugal or Spain are in fact hotbloods not warmbloods. There is also a cross called the Tres Sangres (anglo arab x pre) which in effect means Three Blood after the three hot bloods (TB/Arab/PRE)

But surely, back in the day an iberian is just a cross between a TB, arab and a native of some variety?

Otherwise I have a hotblood x hotblood with a tiny bit of native?! :eek: You really wouldn't know most days, he's so laid back he's horizontal, esp in the heat, he cannot cope if its hot. Go figure :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
*owner of a boring bay who is grateful for the ease of grooming but jealous of pretty colours and flashy markings*

Gah! I wish I had a horse that shone, greys - well mine at least just doesn't!

Plus, he is a filthy hippo-pig of a horse, ruddy animal.

Kat

Visit site
Most days stencilface I am very glad my horse is poo coloured but a gleaming white grey does stand out in the show ring amongst all the shiny bays and blacks.

ridefast

Visit site
The cost of them is a real problem but if it means having the horse of a lifetime, with looks and temperament to die for, you could save money in the long run??

Do I detect some slight breed racism here? Iberians may be your breed/horse of a lifetime, but it doesn't have to be everyones. I always fancied having an arab or a tb myself. Then I met my horse of a lifetime and she's a coloured cob! She is perfect for me, able to do as much as I want to do, has looks and a wonderful temperament and I have saved money just on the initial cost, not to mention she's cheap to keep as she lives off fresh air!

Amaranta

Visit site
But surely, back in the day an iberian is just a cross between a TB, arab and a native of some variety?

Otherwise I have a hotblood x hotblood with a tiny bit of native?! :eek: You really wouldn't know most days, he's so laid back he's horizontal, esp in the heat, he cannot cope if its hot. Go figure :)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: absolutely not! The andalusian is one of the oldest breeds has NO arab or TB blood (in fact was instrumental in the breeding of the TB, although not as much as perhaps the arab was).

The native horse of Spain was the Barb (another hotblood) from which the Andalusian or the PRE has evolved.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
:D Every day is a school day :D

TBH its not something I've looked into (that should be obvious ;) ) have a cross bred gelding breeding isn't really important, in fact having a gelding full stop makes breeding fairly irrelevant, it either can or it can't :)

Kallibear

Visit site
And Barb are apparently the nastiest tempered horses going! (all the breed books say so;) )

Met a couple of Iberian horse. Pretty looking animals, would still prefer a good warmblood. Although Actually I don't want a Warmblood at all, i'd like a really nice Irish draft.

cptrayes

Visit site
Sorry you are quite wrong, the modern PREs have huge movement and size, ranging from 16.2 - 17.3, not your fault, it is a common misconception, there are also the smaller, more baroque types too.

I would invite you to come and sit on my 16.3 mare and say that there is not enough power, even my trainer, a died in the wool warmblood person has been converted and has in fact now bought 2 Iberians. This mare has an extended trot to rival any warmblood, and she just gives it to you, it is her party piece.

Lusitanos have been 16hh++ for several years now and also have massive movement.

The horse I had is a modern type PRE/Luso cross, extends really well, continues to do very well in dressage tests and was 16.1 or 2 but he does not compare with my two warmbloods (one KWPN one Westphalian) for movement or power.

I'd really love to try yours though :D

PRE

Visit site
Hello everybody,

Well... I'm from Spain and have been surrounded by PRE horses since I was a kid. It is obvious my preference is for the Spanish pure breed...but all central-european warmbloods are descendents of the PRE so...they can't be too bad! ;)

Auslander

Visit site
Hello everybody,

Well... I'm from Spain and have been surrounded by PRE horses since I was a kid. It is obvious my preference is for the Spanish pure breed...but all central-european warmbloods are descendents of the PRE so...they can't be too bad! ;)

I don't think anyone is saying they are bad. They're just a bit fed up that other breeds are being disparaged by someone who thinks that nothing is as good as an Iberian!

I love the modern Pre's - but find the more classical ones a bit limited in terms of movement and extension. I love really big moving warmbloods, but I wouldn't state that they were better than anything else, or that no other breed/type was any good. Different strokes for different folks...

dressagecrazy

Visit site
I do find this forum funny sometimes as horse owners i thought we are supposed to be horse lovers.
I have 5 horses a TB, ,IDx, 2 WB's one of which is British bred & a British bred PRE. As you can see I have no real preference on make when it comes to horses:D.
I love working with different breeds, & anyone who thinks iberians don't move well need to come & see my young PRE.
The PRE definitely has a better work ethic than the WB, both do try as hard but the PRE catches on super quick. I find it refreshing to work with a horse that remembers where you left off with the last session.
I cannot pick between the WB & the PRE as there both super talanted & I'm very lucky to own them.
BTW the PRE has just started competing BD & is doing very well.

PRE

Visit site
I agree with dressagecrazy...there are many qualities that make PREs very good horses...Their temperament, their flexibility (modern breed PRE) and generous nature...but overal, they learn really quick.

I have a stallion over here. I imported him last summer and I don't know the sort of prices they are over here?

I must say, in Spain, when everybody was buying horses, prices rose enormously, but at the moment is more than possible to get a very well bred PRE for a reasonable price...adding too, that like in everything, quality means a little more investment.

Kenzo

Visit site
Those with Iberians, could you be kind enough to share some photos of your Iberians in action, be interesting and nice to see them doing a variety of disciplines for us to see :)

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
If Iberians could hold there own against warmbloods in the dressage/showjumping circuit dont you think all the top riders would be riding them instead? :p