Why would anyone want to own a tb?

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Well, no one else seems to want to start the thread so I will.

Now I can see why if you're in love with your vet, and want multiple visits and big vet bills.
Most tbs are treated like hothouse flowers...(the rug industry must love them!)...and I can see why...I'd be petrified to turn anything with legs like sticks out in anything but the most perfect post and railed field.

Fiona

Visit site
No idea :(

I bought one 12 years ago (the connie x TB I went to see had already been sold :( ) and she has turned my hair totally grey since.

To be fair, she has never touch wood had anything major wrong with her, but her list of minor ailments and her propensity to self harm (biting OFF the end of her tongue was a highlight) has meant I'm VERY unlikely to choose another...

In fact I want a 3yo connie next, so I can bring it on for DS and have a bit of fun in the meantime....

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Because they are utterly gorgeous and very versatile?

Whilst Gray had his leg and feet problems in racing since leaving he has seen a vet only for vacs and teeth. It took a year or two but now he is unshaded and rock crunching this hard frozen ground with my shetlands without a care inches world. And whilst he isn't clipped he is only in 1 rug, I tried putting another one on him the other day and he sweated his backside off. And this one is American born, bred and raised before hitting the shores of sunny Scotland 9 years ago!

GrayMo%20Dabbs_zps5xqoglov.jpg

cobgoblin

Visit site
No idea :(

I bought one 12 years ago (the connie x TB I went to see had already been sold :( ) and she has turned my hair totally grey since.

To be fair, she has never touch wood had anything major wrong with her, but her list of minor ailments and her propensity to self harm (biting OFF the end of her tongue was a highlight) has meant I'm VERY unlikely to choose another...

In fact I want a 3yo connie next, so I can bring it on for DS and have a bit of fun in the meantime....

Fiona

Fiona

How on earth did she bite the end off her tongue?

stormox

Visit site
Why would anyone want to own a cob? Why would anyone want to own a connemara etc etc - because they LIKE them. I love TBs above any othher breed, I have owned several.

Llee94

Visit site
I question why I own one sometimes! But I love him for his quirkiness...most of the time.
I bought one as I wanted something to event and I knew after eventing my mare up to 1* that I needed something with more blood and stamina to make the times around the bigger tracks.

Merlod

Visit site
If you need something to display you 5000 rugs on

If have a really sexy vet and farrier because you will see them regularly.

If you want to learn more about underrun heels, kissing spines and gastric ulcers.

If you want a new horse every year after yours breaks down.

If you want to go fast?

If you want to feel like you are better than others because your horse won x amount racing, was purchased for x amount or because it was bred by x. And now you have it and it's worth peanuts.

If you can't take a joke - just waiting for all the TB people to start crying.

Last edited:

cobgoblin

Visit site
Why would anyone want to own a cob? Why would anyone want to own a connemara etc etc - because they LIKE them. I love TBs above any othher breed, I have owned several.

It's a tongue-in- cheek thread Stormox...hence the same wording as the cob one.

Fiona

Visit site
How on earth did she bite the end off her tongue?

Gurning at our other horse standing in the farrier's forge, and bit the end of it clean off... Had to go home via vets house.

Has also twice cut the artery that runs down the inside of her hock (just in the field, I assume bucking after a roll), if we hadn't found her quickly she wouldn't be here now :)

Fiona

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
The same reason anyone has any horse really - masochism (look what the dratted creatures put us through mentally, emotionally, and physically!), possibly with a side order of OCD (beds/poo picking/grooming) and/or hoarding tendencies (all the horse related "stuff" we accumulate). Basically, we're mad. But getting back on topic, I'd happily own a TB. I'm too fat to ride one, but I like them. Not an ex-racer though, as I believe that the racing industry should provide for them instead of palming them off once they're no longer profitable.

Feel free to be offended by any/all of that :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
Because nothing beats a good TB .
They move like nothing like silk being pulled through water .
They have ten canter gears .
They look divine .
Because a good one is such fun to train .
Because you can out gallop the rest of the field at the hounds .
They are so versatile .
Sure they might be the best horse to go to war on but then who wants to go to war .
The ultimate pro horse that's the TB .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So you can take their shoes off and show everyone even a TB with 'typical TB feet' can do it?

Cos they are cheap as chips off the racetrack?

Because a lot of them have coats like silk and are gorgeous just to stroke?

Because most of them don't need their manes thinned to plait?

Because you don't like looking after old horses?

gothdolly

Visit site
Because they are the most stunning of all horses, and it does not matter that they are often too injured to ride, because you can gain hours of pleasure staring over the stable door at their glorious beauty ;-)

Merlod

Visit site
Because they are the most stunning of all horses, and it does not matter that they are often too injured to ride, because you can gain hours of pleasure staring over the stable door at their glorious beauty ;-)

Genuinely though, I find them quite unnatractive with their skinny plain heads, piggy eyes and startled ears they just look like aardvarks!

gothdolly

Visit site
Really! Well beauty truely is in the eye of the beholder! I seem alone in my admiration of my standardbred's beauty, after all....

only_me

Visit site
TBs are the models of the horse world - they cross the superior TBs with inferior beings/breeds to improve them ;)

You can't say that about a cob :p

tonitot

Visit site
I have no idea! I spend my life around TB's and find the horses in training far easier to ride than my own!

To be fair she is a very sweet little horse and she's on holiday at the moment due to having some ridden problems that I think we may have found the cause of. I was worried that she would drop lots of weight over winter but so far she's too fat! She doesn't get any hard feed and has a medium weight rug on, she lives on grass and half a slice of haylage a day. She only gets the hay because the lady I share the field with wants her horses fed hay so I had to go along with it but I don't mind. She's quite a good doer most of the time anyway and when she is in work and we don't have an issue she is very willing and lovely to be with.
I rode my friends cob a few weeks ago and I just couldn't get comfortable on him. His shoulders were too wide and his neck was too short for my liking.
Before I started working in racing I loved cobs and anything that wasn't a TB really. Now I struggle to ride anything else!

I also love the way they're all so different, in personality and looks, there's never two the same!

FFAQ

Visit site
Ha ha! All the TB's I trim are very gorgeous and well behaved, but I have to admit that my standard greeting to TB owners that call me is 'what's he/she done now'?!!

Shooting Star

Visit site
Why would anybody want to own a TB? 'Cos then they've got the pick of all those second hand saddles that are going cheap as they're too infeasibly narrow to fit a decent cob!:biggrin3: