Why would anyone want to own a tb?

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
They give old cob something to do in his retirement. He likes to keep the silly things moving round the paddock on their funny stick-like legs and teeny-tiny feet. He doesn't have to do much - just puts his ears back and pulls a face and off they go. This gives him maximum opportunity to do what old cobs do best - keep the whole megabale of hay to himself (even when divided into 5 piles).

{97702}

Visit site
Because they are utterly gorgeous and very versatile?

Whilst Gray had his leg and feet problems in racing since leaving he has seen a vet only for vacs and teeth. It took a year or two but now he is unshaded and rock crunching this hard frozen ground with my shetlands without a care inches world. And whilst he isn't clipped he is only in 1 rug, I tried putting another one on him the other day and he sweated his backside off. And this one is American born, bred and raised before hitting the shores of sunny Scotland 9 years ago!

GrayMo%20Dabbs_zps5xqoglov.jpg

Exactly EKW :) :) :) :)

I adore TBs - they can be difficult and challenging but they are SO gorgeous, nothing any TB has done has ever phased me, the ones I have had have been quirky but have never had any malice, I miss having one and would have another immediately given the chance :)

Lintel

Visit site
Because I'd never have to worry about laminitis again!!

.... but I'm sure it would be replaced with other more worrying things!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
If you need something to display you 5000 rugs on

If have a really sexy vet and farrier because you will see them regularly.

If you want to learn more about underrun heels, kissing spines and gastric ulcers.

If you want a new horse every year after yours breaks down.

If you want to go fast?

If you want to feel like you are better than others because your horse won x amount racing, was purchased for x amount or because it was bred by x. And now you have it and it's worth peanuts.

If you can't take a joke - just waiting for all the TB people to start crying.

😂😂😂😂 this sums up a lot lol

To be fair ours was a saint, he was just a big softy that yes had a few problems but they were all there for a reason.

He was the best but just because he was a tb and ex racer a lot of people never saw past those two bits first......he was definitely a lot safer and calmer than my Welsh cross

pennandh

Visit site
To be honest, almost all the Thoroughbreds I've ever encountered are far more straightforward and sensible than my much-beloved daft Highland.

Certainly wouldn't buy a really twiggy one, but the light-to-middleweight hunter sort that often start out as chasers are quite nice, and a lot of the ex-racing variety are pretty bombproof and easy to load, which always makes a nice change from too-bright-for-their-own-good natives (I say this as someone who adores native ponies).

And, of course, I could have a 15.2hh-16hh one that only weighed as much as the aforementioned Highland (who is 13.1hh), which would make me look a lot more in scale without being too strong for me to pull it up.

I mean, I'd probably rather have a half-bred, but there are certainly a few TBs out there that I wouldn't mind owning.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
TB are not for me but one of my livery owners lost there French TB to colic 4 weeks ago, and he was a real character and a pleasure to have on the yard.

He will be sorely missed

nikkimariet

Visit site
Because I'd never have to worry about laminitis again!!

.... but I'm sure it would be replaced with other more worrying things!

So much!!!!

I love Fig but JFC is he high maintenance! He is however very talented and lovely so I adore him anyway.

only_me

Visit site
Pah the only way to improve a T(otally)B(roken) would be to cross with a c(ompletely)o(utstanding) b(eing).

Well I suppose crossing the elite upper class TB to a below-working class/layabout/lager lout cob would create a somewhat acceptable middle class horse suitable for sport. But only if they inherited the majority of the TB's superiority ;)

Btw, COB stands for "Came Out t'Bog" :D

ozpoz

Visit site
Such negativity! : )

Because they are beautiful, sensitive, intelligent and gladden your heart.

Because you don't have to stomp about in the dark in bad weather looking to bring them in - they are there at the gate, already.
Because you'll learn how to ride - their paces and reflexes will teach you.

Champers and Co

Visit site
My first horse is a TB and he is basically a complete saint... but also so so much fun!

He really doesn't have a nasty bone in his body and is such a caring chap - he has already taught me so much and still has more to give..

dizzyneddy

Visit site
I'm another one that prefers a TB to a cob. l owned a cob many years ago & he was so bolsy & must have been one of greediest ponies on this planet. Then a got a TB that had her moments but was a dream to handle & had no health issues. There are cobs out there that are gorgeous & it's each to their own but l may get slated here but l think most TBs are better bred than most cobs & l know if l went out on a days hunting l'd prefer to sit on a TB all day than a cob they may be quirky & nutty at times but l think from my personal experiences they are fab & there's more chance of a TB becoming a Grade A show jumper than a cob!!!!

Tyanilth

Visit site
I look at my 15 year old TB and I think

Because he's game enough to take for a good gallop, sane enough to stop when asked, mannerly enough to carry a novice rider round the school and produce a polite walk trot and canter with her somewhat wobbly aids.

Because he's hilariously pathetically in love with my Percheron cross who would make two of him across the arse.

Because he can make a remarkable range of wobbly lip expressions

Because he has the amazing ability to filter all the sugar beet out of a mixed feed and we still can't work out how he does it.

Because he took Tom Scudamore safe round the Grand National on his first ever National ride, and he won his first ever dressage test with me on top.

I could go on... :)

tristar

Visit site
because they are the `king of horses`

glorious to ride

beautiful to look at

weld themselves to your heart

i rode the fastest most spirited one for 18 years and never fell off.

because when you have ridden a tb you will compare everything else with a tb and know all other come 2nd.

because they have wonderful balance, paces and speed, quality of movement, courage of heart, can and have upgraded almost every other breed have been crossed with, have survived being bred by idiots whose only thought is how fast they can go, not considering the welfare of the horses

and finally because i love them.

Gazen

Visit site
My TB taught me to ride. I thought I could ride until I had my TB. She was so intelligent and talented, but also quite quirky. I miss her dearly.
She used to wear the same relatively lightweight rugs as my ISH. She was in a medium wide saddle that my Connie now uses. She was totally barefoot. And she was a relatively good-doer.

emmad96

Visit site
I love TBs. I second a previous poster however when I say I prefer the more solid types over the twiggy ones. However, as someone who also prefers something 17hh+ (shh dont tell my mare she's only 16.3, she thinks she's bigger hehe), I struggle finding them big enough! A good cross with a clydie and they are gorgeous.

Annagain

Visit site
Because some people have some weird fetish and like the feeling that they're sitting on a razor blade?

They're not all bad though. Cross them with something a bit more substantial and you get quite a pleasant mix.

My 5/8 TB Was in vet hospital recently and the vet kept saying on the phone, "TB this and TB that" when listing his problems. I got quite offended as I never consider him a TB. The 1/8 Shire and 1/4 Welsh are far more prominent in my eyes!

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
I had an odd tb- She never had the vet out once and had amazing feet! She could also jump well. I generally don't like them but did have a soft spot once we'd bought her when she came out of racing. She never gave me any bother except her brat personality but we loved her for it!
11182128_460643200756308_6281521308067966521_n.jpg

11011261_430601440427151_1164532312299616591_n.jpg

Bernster

Visit site
Ah, I can relates to so many of these, and def agree with most of em! I have a TB x but she's v TB in many ways, and wetherbys registered.

They are fun, fun, fun. And they go like sh off a shovel. I love the power and speed, and never having to worry about lack of engine power or forwardness (although occasionally had to worry about an excess of that, especially out hunting).

And she has good unshod hooves to prove the naysayers wrong ��

McFluff

Visit site
Because you can do the bandaging required for proper matchy matchy - which just doesn't work on a cob!!!

Maybe I'm odd, but I love both TB and cobs - in fact any breed as long as the horse wants to work for you and is forward going/thinking.

Damnation

Visit site
Because you can do the bandaging required for proper matchy matchy - which just doesn't work on a cob!!!

Maybe I'm odd, but I love both TB and cobs - in fact any breed as long as the horse wants to work for you and is forward going/thinking.

I couldn't agree more, last horse was a TB, this horse is a WB (TB X technically) and I love them. I've also ridden cobs (Which I LOVED) and other breeds.

For me, it's not breed it's personality that I gel with :)

ponypatters

www.ponypatters.com
I love TBs, my experience has only been bold and brave and I have had a few myself and have friends with many, but then I do live near a training area so there are plenty of ex-racers around. For me, they are great.