WHY.....

stormox

Visit site
Is showjumping never shown on TV these days?
It used to be very popular and top showjumpers were household names.
The GB team have just won a major medal and it hasn't even been mentioned.
And don't say 'showjumping isnt popular' - exposure means popularity! The greater the exposure on the telly, the more competitors become known thus increasing the sport's popularity.....chicken and egg.

Visit site
Show jumping is probably the second most engaging equine sport for the general public to watch, after racing. Apart from a day or 2 of Olympia on the red button you get no terrestrial show jumping shown. I would far rather watch sj than dressage, eventing, cycling, formula 1 (seriously! They just drive round a track many dozens of times burning fuel like no one's business!) Etc.

welshwizzard

Visit site
In the 70's it was really popular, when I was a teenager I watched on my neighbours telly because we didnt have one. Hickstead was on all week, they showed the junior SJ as well as seniors. Olympia, HOTYS, it was on primetime telly not a niche thing. I'm not sure why it was on so much, but there was a lot more sport in general, motocross, autocross, wrestling etc. I enjoyed it anyway:)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
See by contrast I'd far rather watch football or F1. Though maybe not football atm as my team is so embarrassing!

F1 is also only on sky now, bar I think the British GP which channel 4 showed.

Last year's championship battle was absolutely fantastic and so exciting, the 2 drivers leading it going into the last race tied on points you couldn't make it up.

I think the behind the scenes Netflix show drive to survive has helped build a lot more interest as it shows its way more than just driving round a track- oh thought it was til we watched the show, I grew up watching it as my dad used to have it on. It showed the different challenges the different teams faced. There's also drivers or teams you can support should you wish to

Apart from the cups, football is also mostly behind a pay wall (only watch pl so not sure if lower leagues are on mainstream?) The Premier league and champions league (top competitions) are only on paid for channels

Last edited:
Visit site
See by contrast I'd far rather watch football or F1. Though maybe not football atm as my team is so embarrassing!

F1 is also only on sky now, bar I think the British GP which channel 4 showed.

Last year's championship battle was absolutely fantastic and so exciting, the 2 drivers leading it going into the last race tied on points you couldn't make it up.

I think the behind the scenes Netflix show drive to survive has helped build a lot more interest as it shows its way more than just driving round a track- oh thought it was til we watched the show, I grew up watching it as my dad used to have it on. It showed the different challenges the different teams faced. There's also drivers or teams you can support should you wish to

Apart from the cups, football is also mostly behind a pay wall (only watch pl so not sure if lower leagues are on mainstream?) The Premier league and champions league (top competitions) are only on paid for channels

I don't mind watching football. But like you the 2 teams in our house aren't exactly flying high ? we both support St Johnstone and my OH is a life long Bolton Wanders supporter ???

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I don't mind watching football. But like you the 2 teams in our house aren't exactly flying high ? we both support St Johnstone and my OH is a life long Bolton Wanders supporter ???

Mine used to be one of the best. Now we suck and I hate all our players as they get paid a lot of money, and barely run round the pitch ?
Manchester United are very painful to be a supporter of at present!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Mine used to be one of the best. Now we suck and I hate all our players as they get paid a lot of money, and barely run round the pitch ?
Manchester United are very painful to be a supporter of at present!

My OH is a Man Utd supporter. You have sympathy! Apparently asking if Ronaldo will stay to play championship league football isn't helpful or supportive ?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
My OH is a Man Utd supporter. You have sympathy! Apparently asking if Ronaldo will stay to play championship league football isn't helpful or supportive ?

Mine supports Liverpool, so my pain is doubled as they're really good, we are trash! Half our players should be in the championship. Though at the rate we're going, they will be ?

Lois Lame

Visit site
I think the rot set in when instead of names the public could relate to, they had to get their heads round names like Sanyo Music Centre or Whirlpool Spin Cycle (ok made the second one up …I think!) instead.
In those glory days back the the top show jumpers had near pop star status.

I love it.

Yes, it's most unattractive when the horses are called things like that. Give me a Rusty or a Stroller or something like that, any day.

We've never had much in the way of horse sport on tele here. Once in a blue moon I'll switch the tv on to see the last bit of some lovely 3DE - grrr.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Is showjumping never shown on TV these days?
It used to be very popular and top showjumpers were household names.
The GB team have just won a major medal and it hasn't even been mentioned.
And don't say 'showjumping isnt popular' - exposure means popularity! The greater the exposure on the telly, the more competitors become known thus increasing the sport's popularity.....chicken and egg.
TV is quite capable of creating household names if it wants to. A few back stories & looks behind the scenes. They're showing all sorts of things atm for example prime time last night was mostly shot put. I think they steer clear of anything equestrian because they're afraid of being seen as posh & elitist.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I think the rot set in when instead of names the public could relate to, they had to get their heads round names like Sanyo Music Centre or Whirlpool Spin Cycle (ok made the second one up …I think!) instead.
In those glory days back the the top show jumpers had near pop star status.

that happened in the 80’s!! Towerlands Anglezarke comes to mind. I think it was the rise of pay to view and a gazillion channels meant it was inevitably going to end up on a subscription channel. The coverage is very good though if you do subscribe.

Fieldlife

Visit site
that happened in the 80’s!! Towerlands Anglezarke comes to mind. I think it was the rise of pay to view and a gazillion channels meant it was inevitably going to end up on a subscription channel. The coverage is very good though if you do subscribe.
Subscribe to what?

photo_jo

Visit site
If anyone wants a regular fix of good show jumping -young horse classes and 1.45m Grand Prix-occasionally bigger try irishsport.tv (can't get the link to embed)
They show all the stud book classes etc etc. The jump off for the Boomerang 6/7yo at Millstreet at the weekend was one of the best jump offs ever!