Wide stirrup leathers (Pravin or other)

Fruitcake

Visit site
I’ve been looking at these on and off over the last year or so. I’m really tempted but sceptical at the same time.

Does anyone have them? Are they worth it? I have hypermobility and struggle with hip and leg stability so wondered if they might help. I like dressage leathers without the bulk too.

Any experiences?

Steerpike

Visit site
I've just seen a second hand pair of pravins for sale on an endurance fb page, they look good sadly they were too long for me otherwise I would have brought them

QueenBella

Visit site
I recommend Pravins to everyone that will listen! I have shockingly bad joints and used to be in so much pain after riding but I've had no pain since I started using them. I also found they helped my leg stay still, just like they said they would. I've had them over a year and the leather is still very much new looking which is also a bit of a downside to them as the leather still hasn't softened completely yet and the only downside is its very hard to change stirrup length when up on the horse.

I know Glaze and Gorden sell different type pravins now and they also have dressage ones. Shadow horse also do the Total Saddle Fit version that look very similar to the Pravins but a bit cheaper.

Hope this helps!

Littlewills

Visit site
I have flex ons which are life changing and am waiting for a delivery of the FSS version which is a fair whack cheaper than Pravins. I'm yet to hear anyone say they dont like them so am looking forward to trying them!

cornish1

Visit site
I have flex ons which are life changing and am waiting for a delivery of the FSS version which is a fair whack cheaper than Pravins. I'm yet to hear anyone say they dont like them so am looking forward to trying them!
I'm waiting on the FSS ones too - 6 weeks since order now so hoping it won't be too much longer....

Fruitcake

Visit site
I’ve just been looking at the FSS ones and the Total Saddle Fit ones. I keep going back to the Pravins as they just look so beautiful.

Can you run them up or do you just have to throw them over the saddle? (I’d want the dressage ‘mono’ ones as I’m used to Webber type leathers with no buckle under the leg).

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I’ve been looking at these on and off over the last year or so. I’m really tempted but sceptical at the same time.

Does anyone have them? Are they worth it? I have hypermobility and struggle with hip and leg stability so wondered if they might help. I like dressage leathers without the bulk too.

Any experiences?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is a good YouTuber that does reviews. It is a paid ad but I watch a lot of her videos and she always comes across genuine.

Weird this thread has popped up as I was literally looking at them online today. If you do get them please update this thread!

Batgirl

Visit site
Can anyone tell me biomechanically/ physically how they stabilise?
Wide treads and rotated stirrups I get how they help but I simply can't wrap my head around how these help. Surely if you have the same attachment at the top and bottom it doesn't matter how wide the bit in between is?

Fruitcake

Visit site
Can anyone tell me biomechanically/ physically how they stabilise?
Wide treads and rotated stirrups I get how they help but I simply can't wrap my head around how these help. Surely if you have the same attachment at the top and bottom it doesn't matter how wide the bit in between is?
I think it could be partly down to the wider leather preventing twisting, but maybe someone else understands more.

QueenBella

Visit site

What's FSS? As I wouldn't mind buying another pair for my other saddle.

Make sure you get stirrup cover for the flex ons, I scraped my leathers a fair bit when doing them up. I made covers out of an old fleece blanket I found at home and they work perfectly!

LJF0664

Visit site
I love my wide stirrup leathers, I couldn't tell you how they make a difference, but they definitely help my lower leg stability. I couldn't justify the price for Pravins, but the Evo Equine ones came out cheaper (especially with a 10% discount code and preorder price!), and I'm really happy with the quality. Having used the money I've saved from not being able to get out with the horse in lockdown to buy a dressage saddle, I'm now saving for a second set or leathers and stirrups as I'm back to using my rubbish ones on the GP (Swapping leathers over got annoying very fast!).

I second what QueenBella said about protecting the leathers though - for the first couple of months my Acavello Arenas caught on the leathers when running them up so I started using stirrup pockets. This doesn't seem to be as big an issue now the leather has softened, but still worth protecting them.

Fruitcake

Visit site

Fruitcake

Visit site
I love my wide stirrup leathers, I couldn't tell you how they make a difference, but they definitely help my lower leg stability. I couldn't justify the price for Pravins, but the Evo Equine ones came out cheaper (especially with a 10% discount code and preorder price!), and I'm really happy with the quality. Having used the money I've saved from not being able to get out with the horse in lockdown to buy a dressage saddle, I'm now saving for a second set or leathers and stirrups as I'm back to using my rubbish ones on the GP (Swapping leathers over got annoying very fast!).

I second what QueenBella said about protecting the leathers though - for the first couple of months my Acavello Arenas caught on the leathers when running them up so I started using stirrup pockets. This doesn't seem to be as big an issue now the leather has softened, but still worth protecting them.
Can you run up the dressage ones?

piffapie

New User
Visit site
I got the Pravin leathers to help with my stability from being hyper mobile. I think they do help a little, they definitely make me feel more aware of my lower leg, which in turn makes me more conscious when it slips back when jumping, so I’m ready to adjust it back to a better position. They certainly look really cool and sporty - I know this isn’t the aim of the game, but it sometimes helps! I brought the longer size as I reasoned that I wanted as much of the broad leather supporting my leg, and there’s always a bit of space to add in more holes. I used to get sore ankles from doing lots of fast work, but since using the Pravins I don’t get that anymore. As they are quite stiff leathers, they tend to force your stirrups and toes out a little - I think they’d work even better with the stirrups which rotate to keep toes pointing forwards.

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
Hi All, I have no experience of these leathers but after watching the video, I think they aid lower leg stability by increasing the surface area which is in contact with the saddle. This increases the friction between the leather and the flap making it more 'difficult' for the leg to move.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I've looked at these too having seen an 'influencer' trying them out recently. But what I will say is that in the vast majority of jumping videos since the original post, they're back using their normal leathers - so if they were that amazing & made that much of a difference, you think they'd be a permanent fixture wouldn't you?

Coming to think of it I'm sure another two 'influencers' also had them gifted to them back last year & after the initial few posts & mentioning them, I've not seen them use them since.