Wilkie for showing

sugarcube123

New User
Visit site
I have a 13.2 pony who gets strong and excitable when out at shows, and for showing classes I have him in a loose ring snaffle. I struggle with breaks and control, so wondered about using a wilkie/beval instead as I have seen other horses ridden in them at shows and know it works for him as he is ridden in one when jumping. Is this acceptable for showing?

Visit site
Yes sadly they are allowed in all showing classes from lead rein up to being part of a double bridle on hunters.

I hate them - they are a gag in all but name.

jj_87

Visit site
They are showing "legal" but you can not use them in equitation classes - horses must be in a snaffle in these classes.

Visit site
They are showing "legal" but you can not use them in equitation classes - horses must be in a snaffle in these classes.

It is a snaffle - by name so yes you can use one in an Equitation class. Even though it has massive poll action and leverage it is still deemed to be a snaffle - don't ask me why I hate the damned things and think they should all be melted down!

jj_87

Visit site
It is a snaffle - by name so yes you can use one in an Equitation class. Even though it has massive poll action and leverage it is still deemed to be a snaffle - don't ask me why I hate the damned things and think they should all be melted down!

Must be just our local RCs then who share our view on them!
  1. Class 16,17,18,21 & 22 must be ridden in a simple snaffle only (no ‘wilkie’ style bit)
  2. Class 16 & 18 must be ridden in a simple snaffle only (no ‘wilkie’ style bit) with lead rein attached to the noseband
Nothing worse than see sawing hands and a wilkie in my opinion!

mcnaughty

Visit site
They are perfectly legal and very popular in showing circles. They are however not dressage legal (this could be where the equitation rule comes from). There is nothing wrong with any bit just the wrong hands!