Will disclaimer release me of blame when teaching without insurance???

eatonbraynat

Visit site
I have yet to take my teaching exam and therefore do not have insurance to teach clients. However a few people have asked me if i can teach them on my horse.

If i get them to sign a disclaimer will this release me of any blame if something were to happen???

Puppy

Visit site
I have yet to take my teaching exam and therefore do not have insurance to teach clients. However a few people have asked me if i can teach them on my horse.

If i get them to sign a disclaimer will this release me of any blame if something were to happen???

No, it will not be worth the paper it's written on.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Will disclaimer release me of blame when teaching without insurance???

If it did why would anyone bother with insurance?

abina

Visit site
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !!! - Just not worth the risk and as Puppy said a disclaimer is not worth the paper it's written on.

CBFan

Visit site
If you're thinking of teaching someone on your own horse I think you are technically classed as a riding school and your HORSES insurance will be invalid too if he was to be involved in an accident while someone was paying to have a lesson on him by you.

CHH

Visit site
You need to be adequately insured for commerical activity, which is basically what teaching someone on your own animal would be.

in the eyes of the law this is not really that different to teaching someone to drive in your car - in terms of liability.

Firstly, change your horses insurance to one that allows you commerical gain from teaching on him.
Secondly you need to make sure you have some sort of personal liability insurance in place, because you need to protect yourself in this "sue or be sued world"

If I was training my husband on my own horse in our own school, then no problems, but this is different.

Yes people leave themselves open to liability every day of the week and then wonder what to do when something goes wrong.

If you are serious about earning a living and making this your career, then seek the relevant cover.

You do not have to be BHS qualified to teach, but you do need to have adequate cover.

When considering your hourly rate then the insurance cost should be factored in then.
You may find it's only an extra £1 per lesson to cover it, but it will be the best £1 you ever charge if something went wrong.

jesterfaerie

Visit site
a) If you are teaching anyone on horses that are in your name you will need RIDING SCHOOl insurance.
b) SEIB will insure unqualified instructors, I am unqualified but I am insured with them.

spottybotty

Visit site
a) If you are teaching anyone on horses that are in your name you will need RIDING SCHOOl insurance.
b) SEIB will insure unqualified instructors, I am unqualified but I am insured with them.

You wont get Riding School Insurance without a local authority licence. :) Insurers will not insure you without it.

jesterfaerie

Visit site
You wont get Riding School Insurance without a local authority licence. :) Insurers will not insure you without it.

True, sorry I wasn't meaning for it to sound as though she should take out RS insurance but that she will be able to take out freelance insurance without being qualified. But she will not be covered teaching customers on her own horses.

eatonbraynat

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, i have one other question, if i am, teaching on my own horse i understand i will need a riding school license even if its only on one horse, how do i get this and is it expensive/worth it?????

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Thanks for the replies, i have one other question, if i am, teaching on my own horse i understand i will need a riding school license even if its only on one horse, how do i get this and is it expensive/worth it?????

You need to speak to the relevent person at your Local Authority. Costs vary enormously depending on where you are in the country - but it will almost certainly be prohibitively expensive for just one horse. You need to be inspected (facilities, suitability of horse/s etc.)

Your best bet might be to ring the BHS Riding Schools office - a mine of information!!

imr

Visit site
You cannot by law disclaim liability for death or personal injury. Any other exclusions or limitations are open to being challenged as unreasonable or failing to adequately disclaim liability for negligence.