Will he calm down? :(

Visit site
Hi,

Sorry in advance for the long post. Basically I had a 12 year break from horses, was a good rider when I was younger and bought my new boy 18mths ago as an unbroken 5 yr old, apparently the girl I purchased him off had done everything with him but was too scared to actually sit on him, (this I don't believe as he had evidently had someone on him before, knew the aids straight away and didn't bat an eyelid when I sat on him, so I now believe he scared her and she just sold him as unbroken so not having to admit anything)

I love my boy to death but after owning him for 18 mths he still scares me at times, can be very unpredictable when ridden, one day he can be quite well behaved, forward going but responsive, the next day he is a loony and just leaps about, I wont hack him out far as i'm terrified as to what he will do on the road and we have no off-road riding, I cant ride him in a field as it blows his mind, if other horses canter off he won't even follow them, just stays in one spot and leaps in the air - even leading him through a field he leaps about on the end of the lead-rope. He gets extremely upset if he is not turned out the moment we get to the yard in the morning, spins around his stable etc and generally gets himself into a right state.

I bought him as a mother - daughter share, a bit of a project for me to bring on and then my daughter could have a bit of fun on him too but at the moment I'm worried about her even being in the stable with him as he jumps at the smallest noise.

I really don't want to sell him as I'm worried about him being past from pillar to post but I find I'm just not enjoying riding him or being around him any more. I don't mind fizzy or strong horses and expected him to be a handful as he has a lot of arab in him but its just the unpredictability that scares me.

(He is only on a handful of chaff and pony mix once a day as he is a good doer)

Shall I persevere or say enough is enough? He is such a character and comes at a canter to the gate even in the summer with knee deep grass!

Thanks for reading!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Sounds as though he needs a lot of work including hacking in company. I would send him to a good yard for assessment and possible sale, you probably don't have the facilities or the expertise to deal with him.
Obviously it could be a medical problem, so a full work over with a GOOD equine vet after the saddle, and teeth have been checked.
It is possible he is getting too much sugar in his diet [too much grass in field, too much food] this could be determined by altering management, but basically if you are scared to hack out, he is not the horse for you. From your post I would say a horse like this is not really going to be ideal as mother daughter share, anyway some horse are always going to be lively [not novice ride!]
If you get him assessed and going forward, then you should be able to find a decent home for him, there are no guarantees, but it is quite common for people to send horses to sales livery if they can't cope with the horse. He might be a good jumper of suited to endurance, other disciplines, and you won't know till he is given the opportunity.

Last edited:

Baileybones

Visit site
Do you have an instructor?
Had to comment without seeing the partnership but it's possible he'd improve for doing more but currently you're stuck in a rut as he still frightens you at times.

I have clients in a similar situation to you and I try and break things down and offer them support to push on and do a bit more in a controlled way. I'll even walk out with them on hacks if required staying at the back so the horse thinks it's alone but I can offer instructions / advice as required.

Building up confidence is virtually impossible alone. My advice would be to find someone to support you and then reassess. Good luck x

Illusion100

Visit site
I think you definitely need to get an experienced person out to assess the situation.

In the morning does he only start to work himself into a state when he sees you coming but is calm until your arrival? Once he's worked himself into a state is this when he leaps about being led?

Has his behaviour progressively become worse or is he the same now as when you bought him?

He seems to be a bit unsettled in his head which would contribute to his unpredictability under saddle.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Stop feed, pony nuts made my 13.2 pony a lunatic. If he is a good doer he doesn't need any more than hay. Mine don't get fed feed unless they have a reason for it

Lost weight
To carry meds
If they are a Tb :/

Is he on hay.or hayledge? I would soak hay for him and get your vet to do a work up including scoping and back xrays just to be sure then.if that all.comes back.clear send him.for professional schooling.

A friends good doer cob became more spooky and he had grade two ulcers.

Umbongo

Visit site
Stop the feed, and I would look into getting a professional either out to you, or send him away. They will be able to assess the situation and it may be able to pinpoint whether it is him or you/your set up? If he does well with a professional and you still want to sell then do, he may not be the right horse for you and your daughter. Riding is supposed to be fun! Has he had a any vet checks?

How often is he worked? I had a PB arab mare who had to be worked hard both physically and mentally 6-7 days a week to keep her chill (have since had a PB arab gelding who is the doziest animal on the planet).

Last edited:

Rhodders

Visit site
Don't know if your hay or haylage but haylage has sent my normal horse completely off his head this winter, took me a while to work out what the hell was wrong, 2 weeks of hay and nothing at all else and he's once again relatively normal - just a thought. Lack of regular consistent work hasn't helped him at all, I know only too well how it makes you feel, the prospect of getting on a less than sane horse on your own, I agree with the others get some professional help, then see how you feel. Good luck