Will hogging make it thicker?

Toffee44

Visit site
This is Jake my boyfriends 5yo clydesdale x cob (aka mini clydesdale lol) he will be doing his first season ploughing hopefully if we get a trailer. When we got him as a 3yo he had no mane so this is an improvement lol.

However I need to plait him into flights which I have found very difficult as his mane is so fine. We so far have only 2 ploughing matches we are taking him too unless we get our own transport and I am going to turn a blind eye to the flights I think for one of them. If he has no further dates then I am thinking of hogging him to get his mane back thicker for next year will it work do you think?? Will post pic in a sec off phone.

Toffee44

Visit site
34be947e.jpg

LouS

Visit site
I don't know the scientific answer, but I hog my gelding's mane every autumn as it gets really thin from him itching etc and it always grows back really thick and lovely, so I would recommend doing it. Don't listen to people who say it grows back horrible, not true at all! Its still the same hair!

Toffee44

Visit site
Should say hogged my last cob and his mane always came back fine after the bog brush phase . Just not sure really how thick it will come back just his mane is so fine, his tail isn't though.

Could it be him being rising 5?? Never had a young heavy cob before. But none of the shires. clydesdales we know his age have a mane like his.

LouS

Visit site
I really don't know, I don't have much experience with these breeds, but I would definitely say my Welshies mane grows back better every time, whether that's just me thinking that or not I don't know. It won't do any harm to hog. Mine has a full mane again (pulled/plaiting length) by March/April if I do it in October, I just leave the mane alone on his second clip (around Jan). Personally quite like the punk look on him haha.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
It won't grow back thicker. It's hair, it grows how it grows. I don't think there's anything you can do to change what mother nature gave him, but if its thin due to rubbing or due to poking his head through barbed wire fencing and pulling the hair out, then stopping the itching or changing your fencing will help. Neck rugs can cause the mane to fall out too. Showing people can get hair extensions for the tail, there may be a similar thing around for manes.

Toffee44

Visit site
^^ thats what I thought but so many go on about hogging and getting thicker manes thought it might work.

He doesnt rub it etc just him. He had a wisp as a three year old all the wisp has done is get longer lol bless him.

POLLDARK

Visit site
Nothing you do will change the number of hair follicles it's just that when it is all cut at once it is all coming through at the same length so looks thicker. As time goes by it will look thinner again as some hair falls out & starts again at the root, natural cycle.

igglepop

Visit site
Always found using baby oil instead of a conditioner helped hair stay thing as less is pulled out as less knot form. Don't know if you can make hair thinker as others have said due to limited number of hair follicles.