Will Hunt backing & schooling: anyone used him? Feedback please?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As title really.

I'm considering a 7yo which was apparently put through Will's yard as it had been badly started and was sent to him for remedial at the beginning of this year i.e. re-starting and bringing on. Horse is currently with a rescue purely due to owner's progressive ill-health and not, I understand, because of any other issues.

Will's yard is near Tewkesbury, I think.

There are quite a few testimonials on his website, but am wondering if anyone on here has used him?

Any feedback good or bad welcomed.

PM me if prefer.

TIA.

Frumpoon

Visit site
I nearly used him as my old farrier recommended him and I think what put me off was that farrier said he was a really brave chap (not a bad thing in itself) but that he was not afraid to give them a belt if they needed it....since I firmly believe horses will try their best and only go off the rails if something hurts this didn't really sit comfortably with me

Teasel

Visit site
Good feedback for him from me. He did a super job of backing my youngster, who came back from him a very confident girl with a super attitude. Not sure if it's just the horses personality but she has not got a nappy bone in her body. He does a lot of work with flags and other bomb proofing type work, but in my opinion doesn't OVER do it. My girl came back with stop and go instilled, and I've picked up the schooling from there myself (with help from dressage and other trainers). She also went back to him for a while when she was going through a rather bolshy stage on the ground, and he was excellent. If you want any more information please feel free to PM me.

spacefaer

Visit site
Isn't he the guy who had a horse die when he was loading it? Went over backwards?

So far as I know, he uses natural horsemanship methods developed in Argentina. ....

Last edited:

hazelnut

Visit site
He has worked with a few horses I know. He is a lovely guy. Please just ask him if you can and go for a visit to see for yourself. Am sure he'll be happy to accommodate as he has for me and friends.

Sprat

Visit site
Isn't he the guy who had a horse die when he was loading it? Went over backwards?

So far as I know, he uses natural horsemanship methods developed in Argentina. ....

I was going to say the same thing, it was a little while ago but I recall it being all over facebook...

Mari

Visit site
Will Hunt - have googled him & read what is available. Would like to know more as thinking of using him for a very mixed up pony. Anyone able to give more information please PM me.

shadowboy

Visit site
I wouldn't send a horse near him. I always say that trainers who need to advertise do so because they don't have enough custom by word of mouth.... You need to ask yourself why! (He pays for a sponsored page on FB for example) A friend sent her horse to him and said it was a big mistake.

scrapster

Visit site
It's very hard knowing who to trust and who not to. When I sent my boy away, I was paranoid that he wouldn't be treated how I had hoped. I didn't send him to Will after hearing some horror stories, are they true, I don't know, but I wasn't taking the chance. I stalked the Internet, asked people who had sent their horses to the person I had chosen, spoke to him, visited him and was a pain in the bum, not once did he seem fed up with my questioning! On the day I took him to the yard, I unloaded by bonkers boy and he was so calm, walked in the stable and ate. All horses were chilled. I visited often, not always pre arranged and all horses always happy. I have since sent another horse there and always happy when the results. So I guess I am saying do your research and make sure you feel happy, if you don't and the trainer doesn't want to answer your questions or deal with a difficult you, then think about sending your horses there. Good luck xx

Mari

Visit site
Scrapster how did you find the person you eventually chose? I have been asking around but haven't found anyone offering a similar training service as WH. Pony doesn't need schooling but has many other issues that need sorted.

Mariposa

Visit site
Scrapster how did you find the person you eventually chose? I have been asking around but haven't found anyone offering a similar training service as WH. Pony doesn't need schooling but has many other issues that need sorted.

I think Jason Webb is quite similar to Will Hunt (as in learnt in Australia, and both have polo/polocrosse background). I've used Jason with 2 ponies ( one bad loader, one young pony) with very pleasing results both times and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him and hope to send more ponies to him in the future. He and his team were a pleasure to deal with, and didn't mind me clucking and calling relentlessly.

I've not heard anything bad about Will Hunt, only heard positive things through the grapevine but I've had no direct experience with him.

scrapster

Visit site
He was recommended to be by the people that rehabbed my horse when he came off the track. He deals with problem horses, as well as breakers, holiday schooling etc. He took a horse that I had been told to pts as he was dangerous and would kill me, who reared, who would spin and jumped in front of a car as it was raining and didn't like getting wet, to a horse I could hack alone, in the rain! He did have an injury before he went there, and he listened to what I had to say, and knew he was my last chance, if he could be fixed behaviourally then he would be pts, if he broke because of his injury then the same. But he was fine and came home a wonderful horse. Unfortunately l had to retire him due to another issue, but he's in retirement a well behaved horse, not like he was when out of work before, which was an evil little thing that spent more time on 2 legs than 4. I don't know if I am allowed to say who I used, but if I am let me know, as he's amazing, and has fixed many problem horses x

Mari

Visit site
Scrapster I'd be interested to know who you used as I have a pony in the same position as yours was.
Janice George try Will again. I contacted him via FB & he responded.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mari I used Ben Lund just outside of Taunton, absolutely amazing and has a great reputation with problem horses x

Yep would agree. I went to see a horse at his yard. He doesn't usually deal as such but this was a horse that he was selling on behalf of a client - a lovely little mare that he'd backed originally and then ridden on, and she was a real pleasure, obviously everything had been done sensitively and correctly and she was a real credit to him. She was perfect in every way, you just couldn't fault her. I'd have loved to have taken this little sweetie home, but unfortunately the owner wanted her to go to a family, so that's where she went :( My loss.

I've also heard through other sources that he's a good bloke.

Perhaps I should send Cobby up to him for a "holiday".............. ;)

Last edited: