Will insurance companies cover the cost of transporting?

springtime1331

Visit site
Just a quick question, my mare is being referred to Newmarket for some diagnostics. I was wondering if anyone knew if you could get the insurance company to pay out for transport costs? In my case, I will need to pay for professional transportation because I don't have any. I will ring insurers to ask in the morning, but I just thought I'd ask.

Erin

Visit site
Some companies do and some don't. Who are you insured with? You can often download the terms & conditions for the website - should tell you in there.

cundlegreen

Visit site
NFU cover the transport costs. I was stunned when I put in for some money towards diesel when my horse had to go to Newmarket for an op. They paid out a lot more than I was asking for!!

foraday

Visit site
NFU, Scottish equestrian, KBIS are the ones off the top of my head that pay out once the transporter provides you with a receipt.

Ask them!

pinklilly

Visit site
Petplan didn't cover costs for transport when mine went up to Edinburgh, they paid half the stabling. Check your smallprint, should have came with your policy and documentation.

Mariposa

Visit site
Lycetts don't either - I had a mare rushed into surgery last month when she managed to puncture her knee joint, and they didn't pay for any of her stay in the hospital, and it was even looking like they wouldn't pay for the surgery either at one point as in their eyes it wasn't life saving. Took the surgeon writing in to say point blank she would have been put down without surgery to make them agree, I was pretty worried they were going to refuse!

springtime1331

Visit site
That sounds awful mariposa, did she make a full recovery? It's certainly interested to note which companies do and don't pay for transport as the cost certainly mounts up if you have to pay for pro transport.

tikino

Visit site
scottish equestrain insurance services do but its as an added extra which i have which covers transporting to hospital and the stabling worth the wee bit extra onto the premium