Will you raise a glass

AML

Visit site
Will you raise a glass to that brown horse?

You know the one. When you pull up at the end of a run and look around to see who’s left. There he always is. There is nothing eye - catching or flashy about him. He doesn’t make you go wow when you watch him gallop and jump, but every time, at the end of a run. There he is.

He wins no medals, no rosettes, but he gives great pleasure to anyone lucky enough to be offered a day on him. A safe, sane, sensible, but still thrilling jaunt over whatever terrain he is asked to cross. He is gold dust.

Beneath all that muscle and power, that he lends so willing, lies a fragility that can strike at any time. It struck for one brown horse today and there was nothing to be done, except let him go with the dignity he so richly deserved.

So, to all those brown, workman like horses, that quietly and efficiently, go about the job of conveying, less than brilliant riders, safely on the hunting field

Here’s to you.

maggiesmum

Visit site
I too wil happily raise my glass..

It is such a horse that babysat me through my first season and 'saved' me on more than one occasion, so sorry for your loss. :'-(

Piccy

Visit site
Very sorry for the loss, and I raise my glass the to Brown Horse and all the other Brown Horses wherever they may be...

xTrooperx

Visit site
what a beautiful sounding post you wrote - seems even more meaningful to us owners with those brown horses.

Glass will be glady raised.

VGM

Visit site
heres to that brown horse our pack lost one on the last legal day it was like he didnt want to do it if it wasnt proper and hed done fifteen years service for various jockeys to all brown horses we salute you

Alec Swan

Visit site
AML, how right you are. "Honest" is the word which sums up such animals, I think. All so often plain, to the cursory glance, but not to those who they carry safely, and with respect. To them they're beyond price.

I'm so sorry for the loss, and of course I'll raise a glass. The world is always a poorer place, for their passing.

Alec.