Willow strikes again!! **warning, icky pictures**

deb_l222

Visit site
Dolly Daydream, or otherwise she who shall be known as 'the most fragile beast on earth' has pulled a blinder this time :(

Right as rain Wednesday. Went for a walk in the park, on a lead, nothing out of the ordinary happened. Got home, she had a bit of a run around the garden, nothing unusual there. Thursday morning, she was lame. Back left leg, same as always.

Now, with Willow, this is usually her knee but always has the potential to be her disabled foot / toe but (in the morning) there was no heat or swelling in the foot / toe at all so I assumed knee and kept rested. Oh my days, by Thursday evening she was getting much more uncomfortable and it was obvious it was her foot / toe.

By Friday morning and the first vet visit, there was a massive infection in place - it happened that quickly. Lots of antibiotics and sent home with the knowledge that if it wasn't much better by Saturday morning, further intervention would have to take place. Yep, you've guessed it; Saturday morning arrives and it's worse than ever!!

So, she was dropped off at the vets on Saturday morning for x-ray and drainage of puss. X-ray just to make sure there wasn't a foreign object causing all the problems. Picked her up Saturday afternoon, looking very sorry for herself, with a very angry looking foot. X-rays were negative but it's highly probably the infection has tracked up the single nail bed but why now, we will never know. We've been everywhere with that foot, the beach, the woods, normal pavements without any issues whatsoever so what has caused it now, I guess I will never know.

She's being an extremely co-operative patient and is happily standing with the foot in epsom salt baths 2 or 3 times a day. She isn't getting too destructive with the MASSIVE cone of doom. She had a smaller one on but I soon discovered she could still get to her flippin foot :)

Fingers crossed the foot will recover. It will be a total disaster to lose it as her other leg / knee isn't really strong enough to bear the weight of two.

Icky photo time......................I'm taking a photo every day so I can hopefully see an improvement every day.

1st one is yesterday, when (to me) it looked very black and purple and looked like it was dying. 2nd one is this morning and thankfully looking more pink but still nasty.

4xgZpWZ.jpg

xZzXCQQ.jpg

For those interested in the internal workings of Willow's foot / toe, it's quite fascinating :)

hedGimv.jpg

SSCgw1Y.jpg

Last but not least.....................feeling very miserable but she's a lot brighter now

cerWDcb.jpg

twiggy2

Visit site
Poor willow, my lurcher has a 'special' front leg, it was not so 'special' when I got her but is getting more so as time goes in.
She managed to break a toe the other day, had a nail infection the other month and gets sores between her pads if she is walked for hours (I like walking for hrs!) I have yet to find a pain killer she can tolerate so we bumble on, to be fair despite the leg looking the way it does she is very rarely lame.

deb_l222

Visit site
See what I mean?! I just showed Willow’s face to my OH and he was like ‘Zak lookalike. Is she naughty like him too?’ ?
View attachment 49913

She's an absolute cow bag some days, although she has got better over time. Absolutely everything goes in her mouth if it's on the floor, although she gives things up relatively easily. She's being exceptionally good about having her foot dealt with and stands really quiet (for her) while we do the epsom salt soak.

Walking is still a nightmare most days because she pulls like a train. No amount of training 'techniques' or tools have ever stopped this, so I've just given up and use a figure 8 slip lead, which is my best chance of staying upright :)

Love her to bits :)

deb_l222

Visit site
Poor willow, my lurcher has a 'special' front leg, it was not so 'special' when I got her but is getting more so as time goes in.
She managed to break a toe the other day, had a nail infection the other month and gets sores between her pads if she is walked for hours (I like walking for hrs!) I have yet to find a pain killer she can tolerate so we bumble on, to be fair despite the leg looking the way it does she is very rarely lame.

It's so difficult isn't it. I want Willow to have a life and live as normally as possibly but her 'problems' mean she's actually quite fragile in some ways and can't gallivant all over the countryside like my other dogs have done. I honestly thought I had just managed to find the perfect balance with her. Just enough exercise to keep her entertained but not enough to break her!! Her foot / toe has never really been a worry so I'm really hoping it's a one off because it's really difficult to get a boot or a covering to fit because of the anatomy of her foot.

twiggy2

Visit site
It's so difficult isn't it. I want Willow to have a life and live as normally as possibly but her 'problems' mean she's actually quite fragile in some ways and can't gallivant all over the countryside like my other dogs have done. I honestly thought I had just managed to find the perfect balance with her. Just enough exercise to keep her entertained but not enough to break her!! Her foot / toe has never really been a worry so I'm really hoping it's a one off because it's really difficult to get a boot or a covering to fit because of the anatomy of her foot.
I took my bitch on with the view that she would have a better time with me than in kennels and if she had 2 good years before her legs caused issues then I would be happy I had done right by her. That was three and a half years ago so we are doing well.
Willow is lucky to have landed with you.