Wind Galls

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Hi there. My horse has a small puffy swelling on the outside of his hind leg, just above the fetlock. My very knowledgable horsey friend says it is probably a wind gall. Has anyone got experience of these? Obviously I will get the vet out to check but that will be in a few days time so just wondered if anyone on here had any knowledge of them, rather than googling and getting false information

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Usually they are present in warmer weather, if the horse has stood in for a time and the fetlocks become puffy. If the windgall decreases when the horse has been moving, i.e. when it comes in from the field, or has been ridden then there isn't a problem. They are usually present on both legs, so if the fetlock has a puffy swelling on only one leg which doesn't decrease with movement then I would be concerned and get the vet out especially if the swelling coincides with any lameness.

My horse has them as she's stabled in the day and out at night in the summer and her legs get quite puffy in the hot weather, but by the time I've come back from a 20 minute hack they have all but disappeared. Sometimes they reduce dramatically in the 300 yards to the paddock.

I believe its due to digital tendon sheath swelling which is common in the hind limbs. As explained above can be nothing to worry about or something more sinister which the vet will be able to diagnose.

Keep us updated in respect of your vet visit. Hope its good news for you.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Thank you hb. Vet came out today and although he has swelling in the tendon sheath on just on one hind leg she is not too concerned as there is no lameness. She suggested I give him an easy week in walk and if he still feels fine, carry on as normal.

spacefaer

Visit site
Depends if they are tendinous or articular. If they are tendinous - ie fluidy fillings above the joint and around the tendon sheath, then they are nothing to worry about. It's normally a sign of historic strain.

Articular windgalls are caused by synovial fluid coming out of the joint and tend to be slightly further forward on the leg and obviously more involved in the joint. They are more serious as a lack of fluid in the joint will lead to arthritis.