Wind/gut problems

Impu1sion

Visit site
My horse has been on box rest for a while and is now sound and going well. However, on the days when she is ridden after having been out at grass for a short time, she is definitely gassy and uncomfortable when ridden. Easier after passing copious amounts of gas! Any suggestions please?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Do you have a walker that you could put her on before you ride? Or maybe lunge her (on a large circle for a couple of minutes) to get rid of the gas.
I'd be tempted to put her on a supplement like a probiotic. You could also give her charcoal to lessen the gas.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It would worry me that she was uncomfortable on the days that you are not riding her on too. I presume that she was not having grass for a long time, maybe she needs introducing back to is more slowly? Unless there is something in the field, like acorns, that is causing the issue?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I've always had gassy spasmodic colic with my horse due to very good grazing on what used to be a dairy farm for over 100 years.
THe only thing that ever tempered it down was pink powder, being very strict with strip grazing and emptying, scrubbing and refilling water tub in paddock three times a week.

Impu1sion

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies. I dont have a horsewalker but could lunge before riding, i will definitely try that, as well as getting some charcoal and pink powder. Yes, Red 1, she hasnt had any turnout on grass for months, and I was introducing it gradually, she was only turned out for an hour in a muzzle.