Windsucker/ Cribing

Laurynb

Visit site
Hi everyone

I’ve got a 4 nearly 5yo ex racer, I got him in November 2018 and his last race was end of October.

I keep him in the field as much as possible as when he is in the stable he windsucks constantly however he also does it in the field.

He has been scoped and treated for ulcers (now all cleared) and is fed ulcakind, chaff, mixed vitamins(one scoop from Harbro) and linseed, he also has ad lib hay whether he is stabled or in the field.

Vet is happy with his diet in regards to preventing the ulcers returning and he is also fed chaff 30mins before being ridden as advised by vet.

However he still windsucks at every opportunity in or out after being treated and as a result I am really struggling to put weight on him (typical ribby TB).

Any advice on how to at least lessen the amount he windsucks? I am not willing to use a collar at all, we have electric tape in the field which works except he can still windsuck on his hay box but I have no idea what to try in the stable.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated and sorry for the long read! Thanks in advance!😊🤞🏼

Bellaboo18

Visit site
His diet/management sound perfect. I'm just wondering about his hind gut, perhaps add something like equishure and see if there's any improvement? Its early days for him and a bit more time to settle will probably help as well.

HashRouge

Visit site
Get rid of his hay box and feed hay on the floor. What does he crib on in the stable? If it's just the door, put up a metal weaving grill as he then won't be able to get hold of the door. If it's other surfaces as well, try cribbox, but you will need to apply it regularly.

My sister's gelding went through a similar routine of ulcer treatment and getting the all clear, but would still crib bite whenever he could. We found the best solution was getting rid of any surface he could crib bite on, so like you we have electric tape round the top of all our fence posts and there is nothing else in the field he can use. He lives out 24/7 and hasn't been in a stable in years. He has put so much condition on, I can't fully explain the difference in how he looks now to how he used to look!

Laurynb

Visit site
Thank you both, he has been windsucking less now so i think it is just the habit of it now! Trying to keep him out as much as possible too but the weather isn't helping with that one lol!

I'll try equishure and also the grill i think as it is only the door that he can windsuck on!

Thanks again!:)

Visit site
I have a 16yo ex racer who I have had for 13yeats. He has windsucked to varying degrees his whole life.
It’s worse when bored or just after food.
Here’s the only thing that worked for us

Miracle collar or electric tape everything. He wears his collar constantly unless travelling or being ridden