Windsucking/Cribbing

KrashnBurn

Visit site
Need some advice on this one.

There are 3 horses in our barn, all in a line. One of the ponies windsucks badly when in.
My friend is worried that her youngster will pick up this habbit by copying the other pony as he picks things up quite quickly.

The pony is worst around feeding time (they are all fed at the same time) and only does it when people are around (we know because we have listened from the adjoining building when he does not know we are there) He will be all quiet at the back of his stable, but as soon as he sees people coming into the barn, he comes to the door and starts doing it (seemingly for attention?)

The lady who looks after him (YO) got him a cribbing collar (with owners permission) (the single strap type) and it works until he twists it around. I don't think his owners will fork out £45 for a miracle collar.

I know there may be many factors as to why he does it, but he is not mine so I cannot go changing his environment/diet etc. Horses/ponies are not allowed out 24/7 so that is out.

What I would like to know at the moment is how tight should these collars be fitted and how long should they be left on for?
I have never had to use one before, and as I help out with the pony I would like to be better informed about it.

To paint a quick picture. Owner is away for the winter/spring. YO is doing the livery but does not know much. I ride him and we all fuss with him as much as possible so he is not left out.

Your advice would be appreciated

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
In my experience horse do not learn windsucking from others - others may disagree but my old horse - now 20 - windsucks...

He started doing it one winter - he didn't copy any other horses - he just started doing it. He was very fit - hunting twice a week, then we got snowed in and he was hyper, but bored and started windsucking... no other horse in the past 10 years has ever copied it off him (it is a busy yard - with lots of other horses and ponies of all ages).

We had two other windsuckers come to the yard - both did it before arriving... and again.. no other horse or pony learnt it off them. Oddly they are all chestnuts! But not sure that means anything!

Collars don't work for my horse - they make him more stressed and he can windsuck anyway... we found he does it less when out in the field and without a collar... But if you are going to use one, they need to be quite tight...

I know some people have had sucess but using an antacid like coligone, as windsucking could be linked to excess stomach acid...

Not sure if that helps?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I had a pony who cribbed (she'd gulp using fence posts / stable door and even haynets). Miracle collars don't work IMO. Well, it did on mine but it had to be done up very tightly to work and she was so unhappy so it was taken off same day! The leather tab bit basically digs into the neck if they get at "that" angle. Its horrid.

I think collars shouldn't be used. I'd probably go down the toy route! ie. make sure the horse gets plenty of fibre (hay at all times) and give him Snak-A-Balls / licks etc. to take his mind of it.

With regard to others learning it, I agree with WidgetTidings - IMO they dont copy. I had the pony above out with 4 other horses, one being a very influential 3yo! NONE showed ANY signs of even being interested in what she did. I read somewhere that the only reason a horse might copy is if they are generally very unhappy in themselves (in which case, the horse could start doing it anyway without copying the other horse!).

I think the key is just to keep the horse as entertained as possible!

sloulou

Visit site
not sure I really answered your question
tongue.gif

Basically - you fit it so its snug against the horses neck/throat when there head is in a normal position (ie. not when then eating off the floor - or stretching up high) with the metal bit under the neck..

It then you leave it on all the time, just take it off for riding.

They do seem to twist round though
crazy.gif

galaxy

Visit site
A horse I ride windsucks in his stable. So he has been put in a stable with bars up so he has nothing to get hold of and can't do it. He seems quite happy. We're not sure really why he does it, he's not a stressy horse at all. He hasn't developed any other habits to compensate for not doing it, so problem solved.

Reform

Visit site
My TB mare who is 24 has done it since I've had her (about 15 years). She has raced, so I suspect that is when she started. She was on loan for many years to a top sports horse breeder as a broodmare and we've had her with youngsters who could be easily influenced including her own daughter for the past 2 years who is only 7. No other horse has ever copied her. When she went on loan I was completely honest about her windsucking/cribbing and it was not a problem.

I did try a collar many years ago but being a highly strung TB she hated it.

She loves being out - so I do try to keep her out as much as I can.

Her front teeth are quite worn which is probably the bigger problem in the long term but she keeps weight on and certainly doesn't look 24!

sloulou

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Her front teeth are quite worn which is probably the bigger problem in the long term but she keeps weight on and certainly doesn't look 24!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - so are my horse's teeth - with the right inhalation he can whistle through the little circular hole there is..
grin.gif

again no problem with weight or eating tho

rachier

Visit site
My 12 yr old ex racer cribs mostly and has a little windsuck at the same time. Hes not generally a stressy horse but i suspect he started doing it when racing.

He never colics or has problems keeping weight on, my old yard used to make me have a miracle collar on all the time (and he could evade it anyway). Since we moved hes never had one on, and only seems to do when eating hard feed and occassionally in the field (can freely crib on door).

Luckily YO dont mind him doing this, tried collar on recently cos hes going away to a posh yard to be reschooled and he was getting really stressed, rocking from side to side etc etc - really unhappy. I love him to bits, but i would never buy a cribber / windsucker again as i get so upset about it, especially when he gets stressed cos he cant do it.

Angua2

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - so are my horse's teeth - with the right inhalation he can whistle through the little circular hole there is..
grin.gif

again no problem with weight or eating tho

[/ QUOTE ]

or in the case of mine biting his mum!

I have had to put a collar on him as he started to crib in preference to eating. He will wear it for a couple of months before it doesn't make any difference when I take it off for a few weeks before putting it back on.