Wintec 500/Pro Dressage

vhf

Visit site
Own and love my Wintec 500VSD. Wouldn't be without it, even did PreNovice XC clinic in it... But won't suit everyone.

CentrestageSHS

Visit site
Haven't ridden in one but I absolutely love my wintec isabelle dressage and so do my horses. It is really comfy and very secure. The wintec pro dressage looks a little flat seated to me but I guess it's what you prefer.

SummerStorm

Visit site
I had a wintec 500 wide and it was the worst saddle I've ever ridden in. It used to slide about all over the place, slipped backwards when my horse took off for a jump and the forwards on landing and it was physically impossible to jump more than 3' in it as it would literally end up half way up my horses neck after every fence - and it was one that was fitted and checked by qualified saddlers too and my instuctor (regularly competed at BSJA Foxhunter so I don't think it was just down to my riding!) rode in it and had exactly the same problems I did. Wasn't very comfy, never looked that nice tbh and more importantly my horse never went well in it.

I suffered it for 2 years and then sold it - complete waste of money imho and it didn't do my riding any favours either
frown.gif

Some of the other wintecs are meant to be better and certainly some people swear by them. Still, each to their own and perhaps I was just unlucky with mine...
crazy.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have the Wintec dressage saddle (not the isabella one) and I love it. My horse goes better in it than my saddler-fitted 3 times more expensive GP! I find it comfy and my horse definately appreciates how lightweight it is. It was well worth the £100 I bought mine for (second hand but looked brand new so complete bargain!). It suits me as I only do dressage as part of eventing, but if dressage was my main disipline then Id probably fork out for the Isabella.

I also have a Wintec Cob for my Welsh, which I compete in. I jump in it and have had no problems of slipping about on it and I find it really comfy. I guess it just depends on what you like!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I have a wintec 500 VSD and am very pleased with it. It fits my girl very well (main issue for me), and as we only do low level RC and hacking its fine. The seat padding is a bit sparse, so I upgraded mine woith a gel seat saver. At the time of purchase I had just forked out for a v exspensive new saddle for my daughters horse so it was a case of 2nd hand or synthetic. Its loads better than the early wintecs, however if money wasnt an object I would have prefered a new leather, guess I am just old fashioned.

Halfstep

Visit site
The best thing I can say about the Wintec Pro dressage is that after learning to sit a big trot in THAT - I can pretty much sit anything. Basically its an ok saddle; its well balanced, nicely made, and not as bad as some. However, it is not supportive in any way - if you already have a perfect seat, you'll be fine, but if you are trying to develop one, it is a struggle in this saddle, especially if you have a horse who moves nicely.

In reality, riding in the bloody thing has helped me (i.e. character building), but if you have a big moving horse I can't really recommend them. Sorry. It is pointless to be constantly fighting against your saddle.

Having said that, the bloody thing fitted the horse beautifully, and she was a nightmare to fit a saddle to.......

lucemoose

Visit site
I have a 500 dressage, and the close contact. Love the CC, its so flat that there is nothing to restrict you yet the blocks and the way it sat makes me feel really secure ( done BSJA, XC and sat a few rears in it..oh and gymkhanas lol) Got the dressage saddle off ebay a month or so ago, need to get the fit checked on my boy but I rode in it quickly. Again, the seat wasnt too deep and buckety and I liked that the knee rolls wernt too big. I only wanted a dressage saddle to be able to drop my legs and truley relax when schooling on the flat,if i ride in the jump then I just want to jump!

lucym

Visit site
when looking for a dressage saddle, I tried both the 500 and pro, the 500 had very small surface bearing area, and I didnt like it, the pro was better, but not that amazing, and I just didnt get a nice feel from any of the synthetics I tried on.

the nicest was the isabell, bucket like, and held you in a fixed posistion, yet it didnt fit the horse. personally I would rather have a 2nd hand leather any day.
smile.gif

loobylu

Visit site
Have a 500 with my on loan Welshie. Hate it. Have usedit three times. Each time it wobbled horribly and twice she got very upset about the movement (she was very tense) and proceeded to shoot off with her head between her knees.