Wintec elastic girth with CAIR, problems with rubbing

Dunmhor

New User
Visit site
I recently bought this girth and after only 30mins schooling, it had rubbed my mares sides raw! Wetherbeeta whom are the uk supplier are not willing to accept that the girth has caused the damage, despite the photographic evidence I provided. They accused me of not fitting it correctly but the girth can only be fittted in one way and was fitted/checked by my instructor. Has anyone else had the same problem because I will be asking Trading Standards to pursue this matter. Wintec claim that the girth: "offers unparallled comfort and performance" and that it "minimises chaffing and galling"! Please let me know if you have the same problem with this exact model of girth. Thanks. <font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>

teddyt

Visit site
Not familiar with the girth but the wintec cair panels are quite hard IMO. If the girth is like the panels there is not much movement allowed, the air isnt pumped in but just a set amount of air around a sponge in a sealed panel. There is therefore a very limited amount of give, maybe thats why it rubbed? Shame they dont refund you as a gesture of goodwill, even if they dont accept liability (which they never will!).

bailey14

Visit site
Someone has suggested under my post 'girth soreness' in the veterinary section today that it might be my girth that is making my horse sore, not because it is a wintec, (which strangely it is) but because the elastic is not both sides of the girth - only the one. Hope that helps.

TPO

Visit site
I *think* it was reviewed in Horse magazine and they found it very stiff too.

Cair is an Australian invention and by all accounts works well over there but over here were it's a smidge colder (rolling eyes) it goes rock hard. I've never seen the girth but would imagine it reacts the same as the saddle panels.

Good luck, I hope you at least get some money back and that your horse heals up quickly.

ETA- applecart, girths should be the same on both sides so girths elasticated on just one side are a no-no. More because they cause uneven pressure rather than rubbing out the horse. I hope your horse is ok. Mare mare is really sensitive over her girth area and I do lots of stretching to help her. Good luck

Dunmhor

New User
Visit site
Hi, sorry to hear your horse is sore. I had been using an aerborn girth up until buying the Wintec, without any problems at all. I bought the Wintec because I believed it would be better for her health - I was wrong to believe all their claims! When she heals, I will be going back to her old girth and avoiding 'faddy' girths!

Dunmhor

New User
Visit site
Yes, it is a very hard girth and very heavy in comparison to 'standard' girths. I couldn't get it to stretch at all and it is supposed to have elastic all the way through. Trading Standards are dealing with this now so hopefully I will get a refund soon but I worry about other horses being hurt by this girth.