Wintec Saddle fitting.. Gullets

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
Hiya.. my mare is in wintec saddles. I have their Dressage and Jump saddle..and an old GP one I use for hunting and hacking.

She's now rising 7 and has massively changed shape since I got her as a little rescue.
She's a fresian X TB and has finally seemed to stop filling out!

I have the gauge thing (that you put on to tell you the size gullet needed) and we've slowly gone up from a Medium- a wide! :O

Anyway, I put the gague on again tonight and she's on the boarder line from wide or xwide. Literally in the middle of the two..

I did think it could have changed as she's put some pounds on since winter.

Do I keep the wide gullet in or change to Xwide?

I thought a little wide would be better than a little narrow but my friend suggested to leave it.

Thanks :) I'm currently saving up for a nice leather saddle for her ;)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
In this situation, one that I too have been in with my horse, I would rather fit a little wide and then pad. My horse much preferred this to having the saddle too tight. It does however depend on the horse. I would try riding her in both gullets and seeing which one gives you the best fit. I used a prolite under the front to stop the saddle dropping down at the front.

Darkwater

Visit site
I had this problem with my youngster over winter - she was between a wide and an xwide, so I put xwide in and used a wither pad until she grew into the xwide. I would rather have it too wide and use a pad if necessary than to have it too narrow and pinching. Just keep an eye on it and change it back to a wide if she drops some weight and you think it is getting too wide.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Go for x wide with a thick saddle cloth.

But I'd recommend getting a saddle fitter out as it's not always the front thst needs adjusting when they change.shape

I have a new bates and use the risers to help balance the saddle out

My boy is medium wide but the gullet makes it sit too low on his withers so using risers or extra flocking, if your saddle isn't cair, at the front helps lift it. Then it's wide enough for his shoulders but not too low on his withers and means that I'm.not being tipped forward

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
As Kezzabell2 says, you really ought to have a saddle check. As you widen a saddle you make it very slightly curvier and as horses get wider they get flatter, so you do eventually end up with a mismatch. You may need a flock adjustment and/or some kind of thicker pad.