Winter blues. Already?! (Lighthearted)

meleeka

Visit site
Electric tape tied on the front of the rug, with a bit hanging, so it goes inside would do the trick.

So far so good here. The ancient pony has decided she can’t eat hay anymore (even though she does when I’m not there!) so i’ve seen my feed bill increase. Currently there’s no mud though so I’m very happy.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We're off games. It's a fabulous morning but the arena is too frosty to ride on and the road isn't safe because of patches of ice.

Sprat

Visit site
I like snow, if I am inside a cozy warm house looking at it out of the window. If I have to go out in it, I like it a hell of a lot less.

Woke up to a scattering of it this morning, have a lesson booked this eve. Not looking forward to it AT ALL.

Annagain

Visit site
yep another winter with only chores and nothing to ride :/
Charlie would love some MP bootcamp. You're only an hour away if you really want to ride!

I've got off fairly lightly so far. The boys are still out 24/7 and still not having any extra hay / feed. Since deciding to take pressure off myself and just do what I want to do I'm feeling a lot happier about riding. They are due to come in overnight this weekend though (YO's rules, when she says they're in, they're in) so I might change my mind about this positivity soon!

SEL

Visit site
Snow this morning - took me by surprise. This time last year I had 3 off work with one on box rest and yard fields that had been flooding since the first weekend in Oct. Anything is better than that!

The microcob is in work, all 3 are still living out (although I've just bulk bought bedding) & with my own place there's a lot less stress than on livery. Plus I have good thermals ?

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_100526_422.jpg
    IMG_20211202_100526_422.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 18

meleeka

Visit site
is that to zap the pony on the electric? Does it work?
yes it does. A friend used to do a big bow round the rug where the front steps are. The zap obviously goes along the tape so if you have a bit next to the horse it zaps if there.

I gave my mini a unicorn horn with his forelock tied with tape and it stopped him ducking under

ArklePig

Visit site
I hate it so much. I've been cranky and grumpy since basically the second the clocks changed. I haven't ridden since the 6th November, and while that's my injury's fault not the time of year, when I was finally able to this week I couldn't due to a combination of torrential sideways rain, a pony who doesn't do getting wet and the indoor being booked for lessons. I have a lesson booked on Saturday so... at least it will be bright? Also DREADING it as I get so stiff now when it's cold. I'm not sure I'll be even able to swing my leg over him to be honest. Mucking out alone had me crippled on Tuesday night. Wish I could hibernate and have a good cry, but haven't got the time. I only have share pony 3 days a week but it's given me serious pause for thought re getting my own... In short I am miserable. Also I have no annual leave left really after using it all for the wedding/dissertation writing. Bah humbug.

Reactions: tda

Ceifer

Visit site
yes it does. A friend used to do a big bow round the rug where the front steps are. The zap obviously goes along the tape so if you have a bit next to the horse it zaps if there.

I gave my mini a unicorn horn with his forelock tied with tape and it stopped him ducking under
Ah thank you. I’ll try that. I was thinking of attaching a bath plug chain to his rug but this will be much easier.

windand rain

Visit site
Zapped kitten yeterday with her food bowl didn't think about the metal hooks on it and switched it on while she was eating bless her she shot away. I needed it on as I was called away before they were all fed switched it off immediately and took a chance on the houdini pony realising it was off Fortunately I got back before she noticed it was off

Reactions: tda

southerncomfort

Visit site
I hate it so much. I've been cranky and grumpy since basically the second the clocks changed. I haven't ridden since the 6th November, and while that's my injury's fault not the time of year, when I was finally able to this week I couldn't due to a combination of torrential sideways rain, a pony who doesn't do getting wet and the indoor being booked for lessons. I have a lesson booked on Saturday so... at least it will be bright? Also DREADING it as I get so stiff now when it's cold. I'm not sure I'll be even able to swing my leg over him to be honest. Mucking out alone had me crippled on Tuesday night. Wish I could hibernate and have a good cry, but haven't got the time. I only have share pony 3 days a week but it's given me serious pause for thought re getting my own... In short I am miserable. Also I have no annual leave left really after using it all for the wedding/dissertation writing. Bah humbug.

That does sound miserable.

Hope you have a good lesson. X

cauda equina

Visit site
My yard was flooded yesterday, despite the drains being checked less than a month ago
Fortunately there were no casualties except my logs which I thought were stacked in a safe dry place
I could cope with the dark; it's the cold and wet making me miserable

scats

Visit site
I’m really trying hard this year to change my mindset about winter, as it was becoming a real problem for me and getting worse each year. I’ve found riding in the mornings much more helpful and I’m also not racing down to try and get the horses in before dark. As a result, they are happy to be left out until later so I feel my days are extended.

southerncomfort

Visit site
The only thing I've really struggled with since moving to the north is the length of winter. Winters here are easily 8 weeks longer than where I lived in the south.

Autumn seems to arrive at the end of August here and Spring can be as late as May.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I detest daylight saving time, the winter itself doesn't really bother me so much. However, I really, really, really, really, really HATE RAIN!!!! I can de with just about every weather situation thrown at me except this. It makes me naggy and miserable...I hate the mud it creates, I hate how yucky everything gets, I hate dealing with muddy rugs, I hate the fact that my house resembles Glastonbury festival because my dogs like to fetch the outdoors indoors.
I do get miserable in the winter but it's more about the clocks going back...I am starting to wonder if I should speak to Dr's about SAD.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Im rather enjoying this thread, as its making me realise that I havent got it too bad. Trust me, I feel for all of you though as its a naff time of the year for a lot of us. A brief conversation this morning and i might go and look at a horse this weekend ... why not get a third .. in winter ... what could possibly be wrong with that on three acres and a small yard with very little facilities, lol!

Trinket12

Visit site
So far we have had a months worth of rain in one day with some terrible flooding (I am in British Columbia), its been very wet but warm and now it's cold and possible snow at the weekend. I'm on the West coast of Canada and people here don't know how to drive in the snow, oh and we're on petrol restrictions because the floods decimated the main highways and deliveries are very limited right now. Sugar is the only light right now, she has her bodywork session later today which is always fun as she likes to groom me at the same time :)

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Nights are getting shorter now ?
I am so unmotivated at the moment . I'm managing to ride about once a week. Roll on spring.

Caol Ila

Visit site
It's been grey here for over two weeks. The wind today was biting but we went on a hack anyway. I'm constantly racing daylight to see to both horses, and I'm exhausted. I kind of want to turn the youngster away and deal with her once the foal is weaned. Couldn't even get a hi-viz rug on her easily, because the foal was trying to rear and play with the rug. He's reasonably civilized once you have a hold of him, but it means you're holding him and can't do whatever it was you were doing with her.