Winter coming - reduce horses from 3 to 2??

Gingerwitch

Visit site
1. green youngster needs lots of work, very stressy, difficult to handle, quirky, good fun but flustrating
2. green youngster - can drop in and out of work, you would never know the differance, few little quirks, very easy to bring on - could be a little bit boring ??
3. 17 year old retired horse - hardly ever been in work had him for 8 years and runs up huge bills at the vets - field sound.

which one would you let go ??

Merlod

Visit site
Probably the second youngster, he's the most saleable and has the best chance of finding a good home, and you seem to enjoy the challenge of the first youngster :) Alternatively, you could send the oldie to a retirement place to reduce your workload

Last edited:

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I hate to say it, but yep the 17 year old too. You've given him a good life and winter could be tough on him this year.
youngster 2 sounds like a good sort, you might regret selling as he's so easy.

Abacus

Visit site
I don't think I could pts a field sound horse at 17 unless I just couldn't keep him. I've had my 18 year old for 10 years, he's sound in all ways and still in work, but if he has to retire I'll keep him as long as he's happy. Edited to add - I understand that if he continues to run up huge vet bills that is a reasonable factor to take into account.

One of the first two depending on your own preference. The second is probably easier to sell, and you will have more time to work with the first and keep him consistent. Unless you still don't have enough time to keep him in enough work for his sanity, in which case the second would suit you better.

Theocat

Visit site
Which makes you happiest? Which makes you least happy?

It looks straightforward on paper, but that won't necessarily work in real life.

Personally I'd keep the easy youngster, if I could rehome / sell the quirky one, but I think winter is a particularly rubbish time to be dealing with quirky. Do you want two, or would you prefer to get down to one?

moodymare_1993

Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks putting to sleep a healthy (albeit costly) 17yo horse that's field sound a bit harsh? Purely just to reduce numbers? Find a retirement livery or companion home fgs. I'd sell number 2. Easy sellable, you sound as if you like the challenge of no. 1

Merlod

Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks putting to sleep a healthy (albeit costly) 17yo horse that's field sound a bit harsh? Purely just to reduce numbers? Find a retirement livery or companion home fgs. I'd sell number 2. Easy sellable, you sound as if you like the challenge of no. 1

Totally agree, suprised people can be so flipant with a field sound horse that the OP has owned for 8 years. I guess it comes down to whether OP is trying to save money or time by cutting down for the winter. Personally I would get rid of a youngster as two is quite a lot to work on, especially when the weather drops or send the oldie to retirement (but that will only save time, not cost)

Antw23uk

Visit site

Totally agree, suprised people can be so flipant with a field sound horse that the OP has owned for 8 years. I guess it comes down to whether OP is trying to save money or time by cutting down for the winter. Personally I would get rid of a youngster as two is quite a lot to work on, especially when the weather drops or send the oldie to retirement (but that will only save time, not cost)

Everyone has there own opinion on this, it is often done to death on this forum so perhaps we can stick to the original question from the OP and not go off track! The reality with owning these very large expensive animals is that sometimes difficult decisions need to be made to ensure there is no suffering/ harm coming to the animal that isnt a dog or a cat and cant live out its days curled up on the sofa!

OP I think either retirement livery or the *ahem* alternative if winter wont be healthy for him for the 17 yr old and go keep one of the youngsters that fills you with excitement and you really want.

moodymare_1993

Visit site
Everyone has there own opinion on this, it is often done to death on this forum so perhaps we can stick to the original question from the OP and not go off track! The reality with owning these very large expensive animals is that sometimes difficult decisions need to be made to ensure there is no suffering/ harm coming to the animal that isnt a dog or a cat and cant live out its days curled up on the sofa!

OP I think either retirement livery or the *ahem* alternative if winter wont be healthy for him for the 17 yr old and go keep one of the youngsters that fills you with excitement and you really want.

But the OP hasn't said he isn't healthy, just that he can be costly. If the opening statement had said that he wasn't in the best of health, struggles in winter etc then that would be different. He could just be accident prone hence costly.

ETA: I did answer the question

Gingerwitch

Visit site
To answer - the oldie is perfectly well, just not up to having a rider on his back - ks. I was hoping to either move horses or jobs before winter as i currently spend 2 hours a day driving between work, home and horses. I am in the Midlands and what on paper is a reasonable drive on a weekend - come the dark nights of winter really takes its toll. The yard i am at is very good at getting the horses out everyday, but when snow and ice makes it too difficult to get them to their fields then the only alternative is to work them. I get up at 4am and get back home at around 8 pm - I am currently exhausted..... what it will be like in winter when i have to work 2 and take the oldie for a walk if they have had to stay in, i really am dreading it.

PTS the oldie does make head sense but not heart sense, the quirky one i worry about as she will either fight it out or end up a nervous wreck if she gets the wrong home. the easy one, well melts my heart when she comes cantering across the field just to say hi - we even got an 8 for a circle on her first dressage test in trot !

ARGH i just want to stop being so tired and be able to spend the time with them all.

Annagain

Visit site
I'd advertise all three (oldie as a companion, other two for sale) and let fate decide....unless there was one I really couldn't bear to part with in which case I'd advertise the other two. I don't mean sell to the first person who comes along, but let whichever one is offered the best home go.

SpringArising

Visit site
What you're doing sounds absolutely exhausting and not fun at all - and isn't that why we have horses? It sounds like a job as opposed to an enjoyable, relaxing hobby, which is what it should be! Don't be worried about selling something quirky: LOADS of people want something quirky.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I'd advertise all three (oldie as a companion, other two for sale) and let fate decide....unless there was one I really couldn't bear to part with in which case I'd advertise the other two. I don't mean sell to the first person who comes along, but let whichever one is offered the best home go.

Good thinking :)

Micropony

Visit site
I don't think selling a 17yo with KS would be a terribly responsible thing to do, but that's just my opinion. If time rather than money is the constraint, having two youngsters needing regular exercise over winter seems like pretty hard work to me, so I would be selling one of those and possibly looking at retirement livery or a companion loan home for the older horse.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Why do you have three horses when you don't have the time for three?

Because my knowledge of the future super power has gone on the blink, i.e. who knew that work would move location, and that to find a horse yard that is as good as my current one near to work is almost impossible unless i want the horses in stables from Oct to Mar.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Because my knowledge of the future super power has gone on the blink, i.e. who knew that work would move location, and that to find a horse yard that is as good as my current one near to work is almost impossible unless i want the horses in stables from Oct to Mar.

Ahh yours as well? Mines on the blink as well .. damn crystal ball!! Being exhausted from it all will get worse over the dark winter months OP so take care of yourself. I have my faithful light box on my desk ready for next week and my St Johns wart supplement both aimed at helping me combat my S.A.D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
To answer - the oldie is perfectly well, just not up to having a rider on his back - ks. I was hoping to either move horses or jobs before winter as i currently spend 2 hours a day driving between work, home and horses. I am in the Midlands and what on paper is a reasonable drive on a weekend - come the dark nights of winter really takes its toll. The yard i am at is very good at getting the horses out everyday, but when snow and ice makes it too difficult to get them to their fields then the only alternative is to work them. I get up at 4am and get back home at around 8 pm - I am currently exhausted..... what it will be like in winter when i have to work 2 and take the oldie for a walk if they have had to stay in, i really am dreading it.

PTS the oldie does make head sense but not heart sense, the quirky one i worry about as she will either fight it out or end up a nervous wreck if she gets the wrong home. the easy one, well melts my heart when she comes cantering across the field just to say hi - we even got an 8 for a circle on her first dressage test in trot !

ARGH i just want to stop being so tired and be able to spend the time with them all.

Aw you can't sell the good girl who runs over to you. She adores you and trusts you. Her life would be turned upside down if she is sold, and you obviously adore her too. She may not be so easy and sweet once her trust is broken by being sold. I would try to find a good home for the quirky one.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Would the oldie be any good as a nanny to youngsters? If so why don't you try and find him a companion home like that for him?

What about a loan/sharer for the good youngster then that takes the stress off a bit.

Luci07

Visit site
What about thinking outside the box? As actually, it doesn't read like getting rid of any of them is want you really want to do. So, maybe work the quirky horse and let the other one have the winter off..so worst scenario is a walk in hand for 2. Speak to work as they have made your life harder and see if you can't agree a compromise such as a day WFH if possible or perhaps later start times with a later finish or vice versa. Might be worth putting feelers out to see if someone would like a companion..if you don't ask, you don't get.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think I would put them all on full livery, if at all possible, then at least you don't need to go to the yard twice every day. Would you save on travelling costs to contribute to the cost of FL?