Winter Feet Survival

JBM

Visit site
Pure biotin is all I’ve ever gave mine for feet
They’re on mossy type wet ground so keeps their feet pretty clean!
Thrush occasionally and I use some weird bottle in German I’ll send you a picture later when I’m home!

Birker2020

Visit site
I've been using Thrush Away before Lari went to retirement, but obviously not much good now lol.
I used to use Keratex Hoof Hardener but got some bad reviews on here so I await the answer to your question with baited breath.

FitzyFitz

Visit site
I like the horse leads hoof clay, stays in even in wet mud unlike sprays so you get a bit more time for it to work. Their hoof cleanse spray is good for daily use but not really strong enough to do much to an active infection. Used to keep mine on knee deep horrible wet clay and it kept them pretty thrush free. I also used to use pigoil and sulphur as a mudfever preventative but do be aware some react to it so always patch test!
Keratex mud fever powder is pricey but very good and water resistant, I usually use a greasier ointment to soften scabs, remove any that come off easily and wipe off then apply the powder to clean dry legs (or as good as i can get them lol) when they go out.

Surbie

Visit site
Mine's in overnight so gets time for drying out and a thorough inspection for bits of gravel getting into the white line. I use Red Horse field paste & rasp weekly and feed low sugar/starch with the forageplus winter hoof & skin balancer. Plus pig oil & sulphur for his feather, but that's it. I've got Alec Swan antibac for any thrushy bits.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I use Red Horse Strong Horn spray and Horse Leads hoof clay as maintenance - I prefer Horse Leads clay as find it sticks better.

Generally, I think a sensible barefoot friendly diet and a good quality supplement (I use Progressive Earth) does the world of good.

gryff

Visit site
I'm a massive fan of a good squirt of diluted apple cider vinegar for just maintenance. Then I have Red Horse products for if there's a problem.

HelenBack

Visit site
If he's coming in to dry overnight you might find he's fine. My TB was barefoot for a lot of last winter and I didn't do anything other than pick his feet out every day, plus keep him on a low sugar and starch diet. Didn't have any problems with thrush or WLD etc. If there are issues then I like the diluted ACV and Red Horse stuff too.

tristar

Visit site
hoof hygiene, pick hooves out, dry with kitchen roll, then once a week iodine, in frog, keep white line tight

i thought of his white socks, in winter when i first saw him, keratex mud shield powder might help

catkin

Visit site
A good spec vits and mins supplement. I use Forageplus, Progressive earth is grand too.

In at night can work well, it gives the feet a chance to dry off. Look for an absorbent bedding and don't skimp on amount, it's false economy.

If possible keep work consistent too.

You may need to experiment a bit as each horse/management/location microclimate combination is different.

catkin

Visit site
Ooooh! Forgot to add

Do you have hoof boots for Orby? If so, don't be afraid to use them if things get soggy or work is curtailed - hooves need fitness conditioning just the same as muscles. If you don't it may be worth getting set up just in case you need them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use Swan antibac for feet I just wipe off thick mud from the feet and legs with handfuls of shavings, I also buy antibacterial foot powder for humans it's only £1 from savers chemist or I buy the Lincoln one and use it on hooves and legs.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Ooooh! Forgot to add

Do you have hoof boots for Orby? If so, don't be afraid to use them if things get soggy or work is curtailed - hooves need fitness conditioning just the same as muscles. If you don't it may be worth getting set up just in case you need them.
I have scoots that I think will fit him 😍

Reactions: JBM

HeresHoping

Visit site
hoof hygiene, pick hooves out, dry with kitchen roll, then once a week iodine, in frog, keep white line tight

i thought of his white socks, in winter when i first saw him, keratex mud shield powder might help
This. Iodine is the perfect anti thrush device. It hardens hooves for fun. Or copper sulphate spray occasionally. You can do 2 x per week for the first couple of weeks with the iodine.

Just a word about the iodine... wear gloves, and if you are allergic to fish, be extra vigilant about keeping it off you. I learned the hard way.

SEL

Visit site
Benign neglect in my case! Mine live out too.

Decent balancer and I do have some sheep rot foot spray if I get worried about anything. The littlest pony has wonky feet and she's the one I have to keep an eye on.

I don't pick out daily either.

tda

Visit site
This. Iodine is the perfect anti thrush device. It hardens hooves for fun. Or copper sulphate spray occasionally. You can do 2 x per week for the first couple of weeks with the iodine.

Just a word about the iodine... wear gloves, and if you are allergic to fish, be extra vigilant about keeping it off you. I learned the hard way.
What dilution of iodine would you do ?

windswoo

Visit site
BB - Orby - that is just so cute, suits him down to the ground.
Just spent 4 hours down field with big man not wanting to put hind leg on floor - vet comes out thinks he's got an abscess??
Off to local horse shop to stock up on bandages, iodine and poultices.
I'm going to have fun mornings the next couple of days.
Never had one before so new on me.
Mine usually have no hoof issues at all and only thing I usually do is pick out every so often - not ridden and out 24/7.
I've just bought some iodine solution and think that's 10% which looks like you just spray on.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
BB - Orby - that is just so cute, suits him down to the ground.
Just spent 4 hours down field with big man not wanting to put hind leg on floor - vet comes out thinks he's got an abscess??
Off to local horse shop to stock up on bandages, iodine and poultices.
I'm going to have fun mornings the next couple of days.
Never had one before so new on me.
Mine usually have no hoof issues at all and only thing I usually do is pick out every so often - not ridden and out 24/7.
I've just bought some iodine solution and think that's 10% which looks like you just spray on.
Right here is some tips…,,

Only use the poultice on the actual area that need the pus drawn from it, cover the other area in nappy, asda nappies do perfect 94p for 50 😀

Epsom salt bath is good for drawing out the pus too, 10 minute for the first two days.

Spray iodine in and around the whole area every time you are cleaning.

Wet poultice for two to three days max and then start dry poultice till clean

I always put the poultice on where you want to draw the pus, then vetwrap, then nappy, then duct tape then plastic bag then more duct tap to keep dry

windswoo

Visit site
Thank you will do.
Vet has said same thing.
Luckily had some Inflacam for other horse, so he's said give him a couple of those for a few days as well.
Luckily he's just so good when being messed with considering his size, he just wanted loads of cuddles 😇

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Thank you will do.
Vet has said same thing.
Luckily had some Inflacam for other horse, so he's said give him a couple of those for a few days as well.
Luckily he's just so good when being messed with considering his size, he just wanted loads of cuddles 😇
And cuddles he shall have 🥰🥰🥰