winter gloves

FireFly29

Visit site
Hi,
I'm looking to buy some nice winter gloves, preferably waterproof or water resistant and warm but not too bulky.
I've currently got macwet short cuff gloves and some old woof wear gloves but wondered if there's anything better?

So far I've considered Macwet climatecs, Sealskinz (look fairly bulky?) And Ariat winter gloves.
Does anyone have any recomendations or any other gloves that they really rate?

Many thanks!
:)

Herts05

Visit site
For riding I would stick with Macwets. Used them for years and in my opinion i think they are the best. Keep fingers warm without being bulky. Have been disappointed with others I've tried.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
My Mark Todd winter gloves have just died after a few years & recently replaced them with Sealskinz - I love them so far!

Too bulky for me to ride in, as were my Mark Todd's - still looking for a waterproof riding glove, so watching this thread with interest :) x

SallyBatty

Visit site
I love the Mark Todd winter gloves and find them fine for riding in - have a great grip and keep my hands warm and dry. I have also got a pair of Sealskinz but can't ride in them as they are far too bulky.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ariat tek grip insulated. Sealskinz dont fit me at all, the ariats come in proper glove sizes :D

I do have some proper thick mountain horse ones for proper cold/total waterproofness but they are too bulky to do much in!

ponypolisher

Visit site
I bought a pair of SSG 10 below gloves for last winter and literally NEVER had cold hands working on a yard in all weathers, usually blizzards, rain, wind and or biblical snow. They were amazing, could stick my hand in a bucket of water and not get wet. Too bulky for schooling for me personally but I did find for hacking out and just doing bits and bobs they were fine.

THAT SAID.. I find now they have lost their pizazz and waterproofness quite badly but think this is due to being machine washed at 40degrees which ha wrecked them. I would definitely buy another pair thought, I think I will be doing that imminently.

Which Sealskinz ones do people buy?

FireFly29

Visit site
Think I'm going to have to go and have a proper look at some now I've narrowed down my list!
Ponypolisher, I was looking at the sealskinz that have a waterproof outer and a thermal lining, I think they do liners and non waterproof ones also that are thinner.

Thanks for all your help!

JustMeThen

Visit site
Don't buy the Ariat insulated Tek Grip! I admit I'm awkward as I've got a blood condition with Reynaud's-type symptoms so my hands get really painful in any cold but these weren't warm at all and fell to bits really quickly, very disappointed as I love Ariat stuff.
I really need new warm ones though so will be keeping an eye on this - has anyone tried the Tredstep Ireland polar/arctic ones?

Tapir

Visit site
I have a pair of Ariat tech grip insulated that are going into their third winter. They are warm, waterproof and I can ride in double reins with them. I'll be replacing them with the same again when I need to

Lammy

Visit site
Definitely agree with the Seal Skinz, they are brilliant. Last year I could break the ice in the water buckets outside with just my hands, couldn't feel a thing with them on! I don't ride in them though but can tack up, even managed to do the little fiddly bridle buckles with them on.
Can't remember what type they are, certainly waterproof and thermally lined though.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ditto tapir I have a pair that are 3/4 years old and have been abandoned in a puddle on a lane for a few days they are still going - though I have treated self to a smarter pair for riding in this winter and they will do yard stuff. I bought them on the basis that everyone hunting used them and I figured they should know ;).

It seems shame sealskinz don't do more/better sizes.

camilla4

Visit site
I have a pair of Ariat tech grip insulated that are going into their third winter. They are warm, waterproof and I can ride in double reins with them. I'll be replacing them with the same again when I need to

Same here - such warm, comfortable gloves and I can still manage buckles etc. in them very easily!!