Winter jackets

Jake09

Visit site
What jackets does everyone wear in the winter. I am prone to feeling the cold and really want to invest into a good jacket for winter this year. Depressing thought I know.

Echo24

Visit site
I'll be watching this post with interest as I'm also looking to invest in a winter jacket. My old one just about stood the downpour we had yesterday but I certainly need to invest in some waterproof trousers too!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I love my old Musto, but i have heard good things about using Ski jackets (especially if you can get one cheap from TK Max or other bargain).

BijouBabe

Visit site
My cheap ski jacket (£22) out lived and was so much warmer than my horsey one ! Mountain warehouse normally have them for around £20 :)

forever broke

Visit site
Ooh I'll be watching this one too, I'm looking for a new warm, waterproof jacket. From previous threads on here it looks like 'outdoorsy' brands are far better than horsey ones but I don't know what to go for!

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I love my Mark Todd winter jacket, it doesn't feel very thick but is certainly warm, and it has a decent hood and a silky lining so it doesn't grip the clothes underneath. The Mark Todd waterproof over trousers are fab too - slight padding, waterproof zips, snow gaiters etc. PS I don't work for MT or for WEFI!

Shooting Star

Visit site
aww now what did somebody have to go and mention the W word for, it's still summer surely no?;)

Personally I love my musto snug. They're warm, cosy & waterproof so tick all the boxes for me!

RainbowDash

Visit site
I also have a lovely padded ski jacket (brought in summer sale for £10) - its not waterproof so I put a raincoat over it in the rain - its breathable, cosy warm and will be on its third winter this year. I wear it around the yard and change into a fitted fleece with hi-viz padded gillet for riding x

sassyequine

Visit site
I have a waterproof down filled musto that last winter I rode out on the gallops in snow and schooled in sideways rain in amd still and stayed toasty. Not cheap £150 ish but worth every penny. So good I bought mum one for non riding wear.

Alphamare

Visit site
I have a target dry waterproof jacket. It only has very light filling and I chose it like that deliberately. I am a many thin layers girl it's the best way to keep warm and the jacket keeps out the wind so I wear it even if its not raining. As far as hi viz goes I got myself a vest so that it can go over the many layers I wear rather than take one jacket off and put another on, you lose heat that way.

Kat

Visit site
Personally I find the non-horsey brands better value and better quality.

I am never cold or wet in winter because I buy decent gear. I have several coats that I mix and match depending upon the conditions.

I have a down coat for seriously cold weather but it never goes to the stables as I get too hot!

I normally go with an insulated jacket or gilet for very cold weather and add a waterproof layer if necessary. I look for goretex or paramo to make sure I have a properly waterproof and breathable lightweight layer.

A buff makes a huge difference in winter too.

budley95

Visit site
I use a ski jacket from tk max. It's very good at keeping me warm and dry and has tons of pockets! I pulled it out for my hack Saturday evening and I stayed dry!

Megibo

Visit site
Whats a buff?

To be honest the best winter jacket I've had so far was a 25 ish quid one off of ebay. Waterproof, really warm and very high viz! Would have kept it but its gone mouldy from a leaky car boot :/ So going to buy a new one! The Hi Viz makes it perfect for riding no need to change.

khalswitz

Visit site
For winter I wear my old rowing technical tops underneath for heat, polo, jumper, then either my big fluorescent jacket (I will need to check the brand but think its horze?) or if its really cold my down ski jacket. I also have varying Thicknesses of buff for my neck, lots of thick socks and thick soles rig boots for on the yard. I have ridden in -15 Celsius and not been cold - I love winter riding, rain or shine, you just have to be well prepared and the hacking routes are never busy!!!

VickyP

Visit site
I love musto, have been down the ski and other outdoor jackets route but I hate not having a 2 way zip. Many of them don't and I hate that bunched up feeling when you can't undo the jacket from the bottom of the zip and you end up sitting on it.. But that's just my pet hate!!

ArabianGem78

Visit site
I avoid horsey coats as, in my experience they simply aren't up to the job.

I have a North Face 3 in 1 for the wet (it's a waterproof outer and a snuggly inner that can be worn independently or together) and an Animal snowboarding coat for the cold.

Both were very expensive (over £150) - but I've had them both for 10 years, and they show little signs of wearing out anytime soon. They also both have two-way zips. When it comes to extreme weather gear, there is no point in buying cheap, unless you are one of these really annoying people who seem to be able to track down ebay and Tk Maxx bargains :)

camilla4

Visit site
Mountain warehouse is a fantastic place for cheap walking/ski jackets that really do the job :)
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mobile/womens/jackets/womens-waterproof-jackets/

On the horsey jackets side of things a pikeur one is definitely worth the investment, they last a long time and are always stylish to boot :)

I would definitely agree with this! If you can stretch your budget (and they aren't cheap, admittedly), the Pikeur ones are seriously good - well made and extremely well designed. I have a couple, including one down-filled one, and love them. As with the breeches, they last well and certainly do the job! Worth a look on ebay.

FireFly29

Visit site
Musto arctic rider down filled jackets are half price on equestrian clearance.
I got one and it was so nice I splashed out on another one, so I've got one for the horsey stuff and one for for non horsey best!

Elbie

Visit site
I got a Toggi Trinity coat for my birthday last year. Expensive but I love it! Kept me nice and toasty when I was riding in the -1 weather!

Spot_On

Visit site
I have two from TK Maxx, ones a ski jacket which I mainly wear the other is a sailing coat (original price was £150 down to £17!). Both waterproof and warm with lots of zip-able pockets. Approaching 3rd winter.

HairyCoblet

Visit site
I paid about £40 for my dare 2b ski jacket and it's great! It's soooo warm and toasty, especially when trying to empty wheelbarrows at half 5 in the morning in a blizzard!

Feival

Visit site
Its done nothing but rain in london today, and blow a gale, so my tresspass ski trousers and jacket came out. love being snuggled in them whilst i do the yard.