winter overtrousers

kezimac

Visit site
hi

need help shopping for over trousers - legs dont stay warm with just breeches and was hoping i could find overtrousers that are warm but that have poppers all the way up the sides so easy to whip off before riding but easy to put on if muddy boots (hence poppers on side)

anyone any clue?

Archiepoo

Visit site
i wear ski salopettes in winter and ride in them too, love them cos they they go right up over your kidneys and go over the tops over boots so you dont have to try to get them tucked in .i think i paid about £20 in soccer world sport shops. they were dark grey and black so not too garish .:D also in rugby sport shops you can buy an all in one fleece lined waterproof suit with full length zipshttp://www.kooga-rugby.com/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/product.aspx?group1=Teamwear&group2=Jackets&group3=*EMPTY&product=19920

Last edited:

Twizzel

Visit site
I've got a pair of Rambo fleece lined full chaps which have zips up the side and team them with Musto snug jods... toasty warm and dry :)

camilla4

Visit site
I have a pair of Mountain Horse overtrousers: warm and dry and have full suede-type seat. Have full length zips so easy to take on/off - highly recommend them.

kerilli

Visit site
i've tried most of the above... salopettes are too bulky and slippery (and sometimes a bit rustly) esp on youngsters.
musto fleece chaps are warm but not even water-resistant. good for cold days, beyond useless if it's drizzling or worse.
my solution is warmer breeches (Pikeur thermal, Kerrits winterweight Sit Tight and Warm, and Irideon - but those are my least favourite) and when necessary waterproof 1/2 trousers that go down to the knee (gaiters keep lower leg dry). These are the best I've found:
http://kerrits.com/Equestrian-Apparel/pc/Kerrit-Waterproof-Riding-Knickers-26p2785.htm
great fit, sticky bums (essential for sharp horses on windy days!) and properly waterproof. Zips go up the outsides.

djlynwood

Visit site
i've tried most of the above... salopettes are too bulky and slippery (and sometimes a bit rustly) esp on youngsters.
musto fleece chaps are warm but not even water-resistant. good for cold days, beyond useless if it's drizzling or worse.
my solution is warmer breeches (Pikeur thermal, Kerrits winterweight Sit Tight and Warm, and Irideon - but those are my least favourite) and when necessary waterproof 1/2 trousers that go down to the knee (gaiters keep lower leg dry). These are the best I've found:
http://kerrits.com/Equestrian-Apparel/pc/Kerrit-Waterproof-Riding-Knickers-26p2785.htm
great fit, sticky bums (essential for sharp horses on windy days!) and properly waterproof. Zips go up the outsides.

These look fab. Where can you get them in the UK?

I have searched but they only seem available in America.

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
Berghause do overtrousers with poppers and zips they work fine walking but you can get a small amount of seepage at the knees when riding in a down pour Ornelli Prosperi over breeches-trousers are best but no zips or poppers.

kezimac

Visit site
ok so how do the sizes come up on the rambo fleece lined chaps - mainly thigh size!!! I am a small in most things but thighs arent ness the same lol

TarrSteps

Visit site
I have a pair of Mark Todd over trousers that zip/snap all the way up but I can't ride properly in over trousers so have Pro Chaps. I'm not their biggest fan - I'd rather go back to leather - but they are waterproof, comfortable and not too warm. A couple of people have bought them on the strength of seeing mine and are very happy with them.

scribble

Visit site
I have dublin thermal trousers OH got em about 3 yrs ago. zip ll the way down side of each leg and boy are they warm. half material and half suedette lovely.

Herts05

Visit site
I tried Prochaps but found that they went baggy too quickly so invested last year in a pair of leather full length chaps. Absolutely great and as they fit like a glove and are warm I pretty much lived in them.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I tried Prochaps but found that they went baggy too quickly so invested last year in a pair of leather full length chaps. Absolutely great and as they fit like a glove and are warm I pretty much lived in them.

The trick is to get them super snug initially. I also don't do anything but ride in mine - I suspect they would not do as well with yard use.

I REALLY want leather ones from a particular chap maker in Ontario but he won't make them without regular fittings so I'm stuck and nothing else will do!:(

Kat

Visit site
I've just bought some Harry Hall full chaps from equestrian clearence as they were less than half price, and so far I'm pretty pleased with them. They zip up the outside of the leg and are virtually the same as the rambo ones my friend has but cheaper!

I don't like riding in over trousers, too restrictive and slippery.

I tried some of the knee length ones similar to Kerilli suggested but found that the zips on my boots let in water, I have the same trouble when I ride in a long waterproof coat, so the chaps should keep me drier as they come down to the ankle.