Winter riding clothes

Zalie

Visit site
This is my 8 year old daughter's first winter of having riding lessons outside in all weathers. She wears gloves and a body protector all year round, and despite wearing many clothing layers and also a 'pack a mac' under her body protector, she was so cold in yesterday's sleety rain that her fingers were blue.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of some very warm waterproof riding gloves for children, and a longish warm waterproof childs riding jacket that fits over the body protector.

I've had a search round various websites, but as a non-horsey person, I've no idea of what's a good choice. I tried my local riding shop, but they had nothing in child sizes and no suggestions for us other than to look online.

Thank you very much for any and all help :)

Max123

Visit site
I wear base layer tops and leggings under my riding clothes all winter. Cold doesn't get into your bones. I get mine in Lidl but under armour are a branded version. Presume they come in kids sizes.

Enfys

Visit site
I can't help with gloves really, I wear fleece lined leather ones.

I second the ski wear, everyone I know who rides in winter (including children) wears ski pants and ski jackets (and many adults wear snow boots - although I am not recommending those) and we ride in -15C.

Highlands

Visit site
Defo layers and as suggested try ski wear! Would try eBay over trousers! As for jackets how about a must snuglet ( kids musto) say a size bigger to fit over BP. Again eBay!

Zalie

Visit site
Thank you all so much! I hadn't even thought of ski coats and trousers, but that's such a great idea. I shall be searching for those tomorrow, along with base layers, and definitely ordering some sealskinz gloves too. I really appreciate your help :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Have a look in Aldi, some weeks they have really good waterproof clothing and base layers in children's sizes. Layered gloves work well, if you can find silk gloves in children's sizes in an outdoors shop, along with climbing gear etc.

Palindrome

Visit site
a good neckwarmer that she can pull onto her nose/ base of ears too when it's windy might help as it then redistributes the warmth from your breath along your neck. A scarf might not be safe when riding but neckwarmers/tubes stay in place. They also make earwarmers that attach into the helmet but have never tried those. I will usually wear a slim beany under my hat when it's very cold.
Good socks are an important part as well, as toes seem to be among the first things to start freezing.

Orca

Visit site
I've had my eye on childrens full length waterproof chaps for mine. Not much help for the hands but I know my chaps help overall warmth a great deal!

HuntingfieldHoney

Visit site
I second aldi, they have good collections of fleeces, tops and socks when in stock! I always go with layers rather than bulky jackets- tights or thermal leggings under jods, base layers and layered fleeces and a winter coat. I also find a fleece head band really useful for keeping ears warm under my riding hat! I get most of my stuff from outdoor shops, I find it much cheaper than branded riding wear and they often have good sales! Mountain Warehouse have sales all the time.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Fleece lined leggings under Jods -Primark £5
For seriously cold days I also wear thermal lined chaps (Mark Todd) both of these come in child's sizes.
Ski base layers are warm without adding bulk - ALDI & Primark often have them.

I love shell jackets for great warmth - running/walking brands do tend to be cheaper. Although do have a few Anky & HKM ones, over the top of this I might wear a gilet - again Anky but I also have some non-brand ones purchased from eBay which match some of bandages/saddlecloth sets.
If it's still cold I will even then wear a blouson jacket over the gilet. (I have a Musto one bought in the sale (Black Friday is coming in 2 days 😜) that was a real find & still going strong 4 years later.

Cold feet are the killer. 2 pairs of sock, 1 a thick ski sock (mine came from our local market) & a thinner type over the top work for me.

A neck warmer or helmet ears

Gloves- I have these & I can't rate them highly enough so warm, hard wearing, not too bulky & smart http://www.burnhills.com/clothing-c...wn-p125/s624?gclid=CIyi_duPq8kCFQUewwodIZEADQ

pansymouse

Visit site
Totally agree on base layers and Aldi ski range being the way to go. Even something as simple as a pair of tights under jods makes a big difference. Gloves wise I'd just get a pair of magic gloves to go under her existing riding gloves - in my option layering is much more effective that single thick gloves. Also consider those reusable heated hand warmers - great for warming up hands as soon as you're off the horse.

Hawks27

Visit site
Don't know if they do kids sizes but I just got some cheap thermal leggings / tights out of lidl and there very warm but a thin well fitting base layer under everything makes a big differences (even if its just good tights or leggings easily fit uner johds and make a big difference), polo neck shirts/sweaters as not safe to ride in a scarf, I wear arm warmer mittens joules do some really cute ones. I prefer a lightweight waterproof jacket with lots of layers to adjust to get right temp on day. waterproof full chaps so not slipping in the saddle rather than trousers, silk ski glove liners under good riding gloves if find sealskins too bulky though I do love mine out hacking, ive even worn a thin beanie hat under my riding helmet to keep ears and head toastie.
I like a hooded jumper under bodywarmer so I can pull the hood up round back of my neck and keeps me warmer

fishy

Visit site
Aldi is great for base layers and ski gear. Decathlon do waterproof fleece jodphurs and again ski gear all in children's sizes and reasonably priced. Neoprene gloves are good and sealskinz are great. A neck warmer is a good idea too. When it's really cold my daughter puts a couple of handwarmers in her pockets too.

dibbin

Visit site
SealSkinz gloves are brilliant, they do kids' sizes. The all weather ones are plenty warm enough for the winter and not as bulky as the "winter" ones.

I find even a pair of normal non-thermal leggings under my breeches make a big difference, and a thin fleece or thermal top on my top half.

Kati*89

Visit site
Definitely look at thermal baselayers/leggings for under the normal riding wear - if you keep the core temperature warm then you will find extremities don't suffer so much - I have the Sealskins riding winter gloves and they are great, just about use them for schooling, but perhaps not a technical lesson. I managed to get a Harry Hall winter riding coat for £30 on HopeValley and so far I have been toasty and dry so I am very pleased! It also has space for a few jumpers/gilet underneath.