Winter & riding in the dark

pottamus

Visit site
I currently ride first thing before work but this will probably be my last week of doing this due to the darkness creeping in - I ride on roads at 5.45am to get back in time to leave for work at 7.15am.
I need to keep my lad going through the winter as much as possible so my only option will be to ride on the rest of my field until it is too wet and horrible to do that.
My question is does anyone else on here ride in a field in the dark? I am not sure how we will get on - will my horse and me be able to see sufficiently to make it ok? It is a flat field of about 2 acres and there are no holes etc but I have not ridden in the pitch black before and not sure if it is do-able?

Baileyhoss

Visit site
i have ridden in the pitch black (due to a power cut while i was in the indoor school)

it's very disorienting though, I was able to judge where the walls were due to the vents in the walls showing a different shade of black, You would be better to use a head torch rather than in ride in pitch black, just incase you drift off course.

hamish1

Visit site
if its pitch black like you say-i reckon it'll be pretty difficult to ride-any chance of any outdoor lights?. i was thinking about how im going to ride enough this winter aswell :( x

SuperSketch

Visit site
I have before. Was going to PC Open Showjumping last year and wanted to get some energy out before we travelled and my friend was using the school to lunge in. I made sure I literally walked over every inch of grass the night before to check for holes etc though! It is a little scary at first as every little noise seems to be magnified by about 10 times but its okay. My pony was more spooky than usual too but that was only because it was dark and a novelty lol! Give it a go - you never know til you've tried!

reindeerlover

Visit site
Brave!! I don't think I'd have the guts, not sure why, I think I'd be rather disorientated.... Why not park your car with the headlights on the area you hope to ride in?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
When I had my first pony, I used to ride before AND after school, all through the winter, in the dark!! All I had was a little stirrup light - no-one had really thought about hi-viz or anything like that back then, plus there wasn't so much traffic.

I did this during the '70's, without fail. I'd just poddle along before sunrise when everyone else was in their beds and be as happy as larry doing it. Not sure I'd do it now though!

keanmu

Visit site
We ride out in the dark in the winter. Luckily we only have to cross 1 road and can go for miles and miles with out seeing another road. We all have head torches on our hats, they light the way enough. We do a midnight ride once a year, just for the fun of it - LOL

Kerry

Umbongo

Visit site
I did sometimes with my youngster a couple of winters ago. My youngster got used to my headlight from me bringing him in the dark so I used to go out with it on my riding hat. I tend to only stick to nights when the moon is bright and so isn't "pitch" black.

It is do-able just be careful! Luckily my boy although young was very sensible and just got on with it!

As others have suggested could you get some sort of lighting from car headlights etc? I couldn't do this as my field wasn't accessible by car.