Winter rug rubs her mane off

popsicle

Visit site
Every year after my large mare has had a winter rug on for a month or 2, she loses the first foot or so of her mane. The rug has a neck cover of course. Does anyone else have this problem and what have you done about it? This is a turnout rug I'm talking about and she has 2 different makes and it happens with either.
frown.gif

Natch

Visit site
sigh, sounds familliar. has it got a seam where the neck is attached to the body? If so we think that was what caused ours. The solution was all in one i.e. no seams, but not cheap, rambo I think.

Alternatively, does she need a neck cover? a few years ago no rugs came with necks, and the horses managed fine then. You could get one that is cut quite high?

Hollycat

Visit site
I find the all in one's worse for rubbing and only put the neck cover on when it is really necessary. A friend washes her neck covers once a week and thinks its greese that makes them rub. Her horse doesn't get rubbed but she has a VERY thick mane and I don't think she's the type to rub anyway.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Get some silk and line the inside of the neck cover (that comes into contact with the mane!) with it!
My friends Mum did this to all her turnouts and hey presto no more rubbing!!
grin.gif

She used all her old silk nighties!
blush.gif

She only did tacked it on, didn't take very long and when it comes loose easy enough to stitch back on.

Hope that helps!
smile.gif

parsley

Visit site
Can you get one of the shoulder savers that go under rugs to stop it like these bossy bibs. You can get cheaper versions from ebay, these are really just hand made ones though

Ezme

Visit site
we had a bit of an issue with this before but got these standard rugs that just have this extra few centimeters on top so they go over the withers. Theres no way it can bunch up behind them and ruland they don't seem to rub the shoulders as much becasue the whole rug stays forward

mintaka04

Visit site
My horse suffered from this in her weatherbeeta combo rug, but the problem is not nearly as bad in her rambo duo.
I think a lot depends on the shape of your horse and the shape of the rug.

popsicle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Get some silk and line the inside of the neck cover (that comes into contact with the mane!) with it!
My friends Mum did this to all her turnouts and hey presto no more rubbing!!
grin.gif

She used all her old silk nighties!
blush.gif

She only did tacked it on, didn't take very long and when it comes loose easy enough to stitch back on.

Hope that helps!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a good easy solution, I will try that. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts too x
smile.gif

Maisy

Visit site
MY mares mane comes off due to the grease, not rubbing. If I brush it, it comes out in handfuls. Havent really found a solution to this one.....though this year she will be hunted all winter, so maybe all those bathes will keep the grease at bay?