Winter wellies - ideas please!

tatty_v

Visit site
I thought I’d cracked the cold toes conundrum of winter horse care with a pair of Ariat neoprene lined wellies that I bought in January, but they have already split ?

Any suggestions for a robust pair of warm winter wellies? I have quite narrow ankles and calves so I don’t like anything too big and floppy. Hoping the shopping wisdom of H&H can prevent another short lived purchase!

PurBee

Visit site
After spending 120 quid a pair on 2 different ‘brand’ ‘muck boot’, ‘bog boots’ neoprene boots and them splitting where the sole meets the upper within 6 months of use, concluding theyre all glued in china and then branded elsewhere with a hiked price - i now get 50 quid ‘farmer’ wellies ‘techno troya boots’ (cmfboots.com) - depending on season depends on type of socks worn. I wear long johns all winter so leg warmth sorted!
I too get cold feet in slim wellies in winter and these have a thick sole, insulating from the cold, damp, muddy terrain i trawl through daily.
Theyre not fashionable at all but extremely practical and hardwearing! They get a bit warm to wear when temps are above 20 degrees, which is rare where i live.

Peglo

Visit site
Dunlop purofort thermals were good when I worked in a freezing shed all day. And they lasted. But they maybe wouldn’t be so good if you like a slim fit.

Joeyjojo

Visit site
The Aigle parcour iso 2 are the best I've had. They keep my feet my feet lovely and warm, are completely waterproof, extremely comfortable (I've walked miles in mine) and 5 years on would scrub up as good as new if I could be bothered to clean them.

palo1

Visit site
Skellerup Red Band wellies are natural rubber and very comfy but the sizes are huge so they advise sizing down. Mine are a size down but I can still wear thick socks with them. Wonderfully comfy and hoping that for £50 they will last 3 years. :) Previously Chameaus have been my preference but I couldn't find any in a sale this summer lol!!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I've had Le Chameaus and now have Aigles, with neoprene lining, and they're both excellent, the latter has a slightly wider calf. The former lasted 19 years of light use before the rubber perished but I now have a spray for them, and may look into Stormseal too.

AFB

Visit site
Another for Aigle Parcours - I've only had mine since November last year but they have walked miles with the dog plus doing the yard and they still look brand new when I clean them up. Comfortable and warm to boot.

teddy_

Visit site
Be careful with Le Chameau, I had one pair that were fantastic, literally lasted years doing the horses but my second pair leaked not long after I purchased them. Now, they could have just been a dodgy pair but at £200 a go, I am not taking the risk again.

Another vote for Aigle :D.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Avoid Cotswold compasses, I killed mine in a month. I asked this same question on a sheep farming group on Facebook and lots of people recommended Skellerup Quattro insulated or sport. Think I’m going to give them a go this year

tatty_v

Visit site
Be careful with Le Chameau, I had one pair that were fantastic, literally lasted years doing the horses but my second pair leaked not long after I purchased them. Now, they could have just been a dodgy pair but at £200 a go, I am not taking the risk again.

Another vote for Aigle :D.

Exactly what happened to me, my first set of le chameaus lasted years, second ones split within a year. Hence trying the Ariats, only to have the same problem ?

Off to google the recommendations so far, thank you!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I’ve just bought Dedito wellies…based just outside Richmond North York’s…lovely comfortable warm and around £80. I ll wear them to death this winter and see how they last.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Love my Muck Boots, I have the kind with the neoprene bit around the top. Theyre a lot slimmer / less floppy than regular wellies and I find them really warm especially with the neoprene top as it keeps the heat in better. Mine are only a year old but seem very sturdy with no sign of splitting yet. Whereas my Joules wellies I bought for summer split after only 3 months... I got my Muck Boots in their sale, so you can get them quite cheap sometimes

Antw23uk

Visit site
I just buy builder boots. Well my company buy me a nice pair for work related jobs ... that spend more time at home than in the office ... but whose keeping notes hey! I like having steel toe caps on my boots for extra protection for cold toes and also aim for very little mud at the yard so no wading through ankle deep mud!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Aigle Parcours Iso 2 for me, too. They're now on their third year and are lovely. I do have Raynauds, so put sheepskin insoles in, but I think most people would find that too warm!

Annagain

Visit site
Aigle Parcourse Iso 2 for me too! First pair lasted 9 years and are still at the yard as an emergency pair - they split where my foot bends behind the toe but because of the neoprene inside, they're still waterproof enough for a quick muckout and bring in in winter. If you shop around online and don't mind a dull colour (or are lucky enough to be an unpopular size) you can normally pick up a pair in the sale somewhere. The first pair cost me about £70 and the second £90.