Wisbech

Achinghips

Visit site
A friend of mine is thinking of moving with her horses to Wisbech st Mary. Is wisbechistan as bad as its reputation or is it quite nice for equestrian people? Thanks

Suelin

Visit site
Yes it probably is as bad but it depends why you are moving there I guess and whereabouts. I have friends who live not far and wouldn't touch the place with a bargepole.

As for horses the land is Fenland so can get extremely deep. I know of quite a few folks who regularly have to reseed their land because the horses totally trash it in the winter. However I guess that if you have the funds to create the correct facilities to deal with all of that then it would be okay.

There isn't much work that way either which may be a consideration.

I wish your friend luck.

Banjo

Visit site
I moved to Wisbeckistan about 18 months ago. I have found all the horsey people I have come across very pleasant and chatty. I used to be in Cambridge.
I have been made to feel very welcome. My pony has settled into his home up here too. I have found the hacking
ok too. Though I do miss some of my lovely Cambridge routes around Anglesey Abbey and the Quy Estates.

HihoGinger

Visit site
Wisbech itself can be a bit rough, and I wouldn't personally want to live there, but the outlying villages (of which I live in one), are mostly rather nice, and there are quite a lot of equestrian places and a large community. There is Wisbech riding club, as previously mentioned, and a few local shows. There is also Forest Edge, Ely Eventing etc not too far away.
There have been problems in the past with light fingered members of a certain community doing yards over too, but that seems to have quitened down of late...touch wood..

Is she definitely wanting to go to Wisbech St Mary? Thats the other side of town to me, so I'm not so au fait with what's there, but I can definitely vouch for the Downham side of the place.

Banjo..whereabouts are you, if you don't mind me asking? PM if you prefer :)

dobbin27

Visit site
Wisbech itself is best avoided, Wisbech St Mary is probably fine.. There is plenty of horsey stuff going on, most area's have some reasonable off road hacking (don't expect hills, but there's plenty of space!) and I have found most of the local horsey people friendly.. Not all the land is awful, if its clay (like my horrible field) it will probably flood in winter, but you learn to manage it. Good Luck!