(With apologies!) ...Another "dog walking during lock down" thread

Expo

Visit site
Hello everyone. I hope you're all staying well, and apologies if this has been done already.

We are a couple living with a very active dog who normally goes out twice daily. The lockdown plan was for Mr Expo to walk him in the morning and me to walk him later on in the day. All went well for a while, but now Mr E's back condition is giving him hell and he's reduced to gentle shuffling round the house as best. We are fortunate to have open spaces around us (heathland and woods) where we can walk and rarely, if ever, see a soul. Mr E is now staying that I should go in "his" walk in the morning and "my" walk pm, reasoning that one person + dog=one person + dog regardless of who is holding the lead. This really isn't in the spirit of the rules, is it? What would you do? (PS ...I've already been on the morning walk .... :() Thank you,

{97702}

Visit site
I’ve got to say I would only do one walk a day - if the same person goes out twice they are doubling their exposure to potential virus, and also doubling their opportunity to spread it if they are unknowingly carrying it. Sorry!

Expo

Visit site
I’ve got to say I would only do one walk a day - if the same person goes out twice they are doubling their exposure to potential virus, and also doubling their opportunity to spread it if they are unknowingly carrying it. Sorry!

I was sure someone would come along and say just that. I agree with you actually, although I did go out twice yesterday and know/have met many people on a two walk per day strategy. Think I might have to alter my routine to go once, later in the day and try to make that into a morning and evening walk all together. Let's face it, I have little else to do at the moment. Horse on full livery and yard pretty much out of bounds except a 3 times per week quick visit. Also just read we're probably going to be locked down til the end of May now .... GAH!!! Thanks for your views.

{97702}

Visit site
Honestly I find it so frustrating - I’ve just posted my daily rant on Facebook.....

“My daily rant.... an hours dog walk from home, desperately trying to avoid popular places and other people, I still must have met 20+ lots of people.

Doing what I usually do - 10 minute drive to Dymock woods - I wouldn’t have met a soul.

Tell me how this approach is preventing the spread of Covid 19 again? ?“

Never mind, I’m abiding by government guidelines so everyone should be happy ?

Expo

Visit site
Honestly I find it so frustrating - I’ve just posted my daily rant on Facebook.....

“My daily rant.... an hours dog walk from home, desperately trying to avoid popular places and other people, I still must have met 20+ lots of people.

Doing what I usually do - 10 minute drive to Dymock woods - I wouldn’t have met a soul.

Yes, I'm with you on that. Although we live in a quiet rural community (thank goodness) I do still meet the occasional person as I walk the 3 hundred yards or so to the nearest entrance of the heathland area. The other day, I got shouted at by a neighbour, as I met another woman walking towards me down a narrow pavement and diverted a few steps up their drive way to give her some space. Either that or one of us would be in the middle of the road. If I drove for 5 minutes to a gate a little further away, the likelihood of meeting other people is dramatically reduced, and, as I can see them coming from some distance away, it's possible to avoid them. The rules are, I suppose, to prevent people from - say - Leicester or wherever - , driving to the Peak District for a walk. Recent footage from the Peak District (I'm in Derbyshire) show walkers trooping along the popular paths there, when clearly they must have driven some significant distance to get to their start point. To be fair, it's impossible to make a "one size fits all" rule that actually works for everyone.

We are where we are. Onward and upward.

(Footnote .... as I have typed this I have just watched my neighbour take her dogs out for their second walk today. She's married to a high ranking police officer!! ....... :eek:)

Smitty

Visit site
Yes, I'm with you on that. Although we live in a quiet rural community (thank goodness) I do still meet the occasional person as I walk the 3 hundred yards or so to the nearest entrance of the heathland area. The other day, I got shouted at by a neighbour, as I met another woman walking towards me down a narrow pavement and diverted a few steps up their drive way to give her some space. Either that or one of us would be in the middle of the road. If I drove for 5 minutes to a gate a little further away, the likelihood of meeting other people is dramatically reduced, and, as I can see them coming from some distance away, it's possible to avoid them. The rules are, I suppose, to prevent people from - say - Leicester or wherever - , driving to the Peak District for a walk. Recent footage from the Peak District (I'm in Derbyshire) show walkers trooping along the popular paths there, when clearly they must have driven some significant distance to get to their start point. To be fair, it's impossible to make a "one size fits all" rule that actually works for everyone.

We are where we are. Onward and upward.

(Footnote .... as I have typed this I have just watched my neighbour take her dogs out for their second walk today. She's married to a high ranking police officer!! ....... :eek:)

meleeka

Visit site

I suppose they have to make rules for the stupid to be able to follow, but I agree with you. OH usually puts his bike in the van and goes to the middle of nowhere where he’s very unlikely to meet a soul. He’s tried riding from home and he’s given it up as a bad job because there’s so many others about. He’s the sort of person who never sits still and is always working or doing something and I’m am genuinely worried about his mental health as time goes on.

Visit site
Yes lets all report on our neighbours every moves, like China and Russia, and various countries in Europe during the war

I have just been to our local park hardly anyone about, I think the horrible weather today has kept the fair weather/unaccustomed to taking their dogs out previously people away! People have generally been very good locally. I was pleased to see that the Friday,. Saturday evening yobbos that usually leave boxes of silver gas containers and Macdonalds wrappers strewn about have been conspicuous by their absence.

{97702}

Visit site
I’ve just got told off by my police officer friend for my daily rant because apparently I’m going to have a massive RTC on my 10 minute drive down deserted country lanes and use all local resources that are hard pressed as it is..... hmmm ?

BBP

Visit site
This makes me so angry!! I think you need to report her or get someone else to. She has NO business doing that.
I think it’s best not to leap to judgement so fast. I left the house three times the other day, twice to look after the horses (I am sole carer) and once to pick up and deliver groceries to people who are shielding. The dog came with me each time. My neighbours may think I went out for three jolly jaunts and be really angry about it.

BBP

Visit site
In answer to original post I would just do one walk to limit your exposure, but think up some brain games to replace the second walk. I’m teaching mine to be my workout buddy ‘holding’ my feet when I do sit ups, doing ‘press ups’ in time with mine, that sort of thing.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
As I've said in another thread, I cannot walk my dogs together because one doesn't like the other and would try to fight him and they're big dogs and I'd be in the middle so would end up in hospital anyway, being a drain on resources.

I'm trying to source a cheap treadmill and I have a jump/poles/training gear if I need to train instead.

Mornings I just let them have a run in the garden or stand at my gate/walk up and down verge with 8m flexi so they can clean themselves. Then walk in evening, alternately, as has been suggested on here.

Karran

Visit site
I think it’s best not to leap to judgement so fast. I left the house three times the other day, twice to look after the horses (I am sole carer) and once to pick up and deliver groceries to people who are shielding. The dog came with me each time. My neighbours may think I went out for three jolly jaunts and be really angry about it.

Same. Dogs love riding in the car - think they enjoy change of scenery. I went out three times yesterday. Once to get all the prep I needed for my tortoise to get out of hibernation, later a very good friend in total isolation rang me in desperation needing shopping, finally we went on our normal walk.
Today we went up to the yard to do share horse and both came then Miss Collie who isn't yet horse safe, did some desensitization and Mrs Spaniel pottered. I'm about to take them for their one walk today and have spent an hour playing "flowerpot flyball" with them earlier.

I've been doing a lot of volunteering in the local area and cant work out still if I know I'm gonna be near one of the big parks or small patch of woodland near me, if that counts as acceptable to take the dogs there as I'll have driven there or limit myself to the small park at the end of my road!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Today we went up to the yard to do share horse and both came then Miss Collie who isn't yet horse safe, did some desensitization and Mrs Spaniel pottered. I'm about to take them for their one walk today and have spent an hour playing "flowerpot flyball" with them earlier.
Um, well done on you for doing your bit volunteering etc, but your visit to do your share horse counts as your daily exercise. You aren’t then supposed to walk your dogs on top of that.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-people-with-animals

Advice if you do not have symptoms of coronavirus
You may leave your house to exercise once a day and you should combine this with leaving your house to provide care for your horse or livestock.’

It is essential that you minimise the time spent outside of the home and remain 2 metres away from others. You should remember to wash your hands before and after contact with any animals.’

Expo

Visit site
As I've said in another thread, I cannot walk my dogs together because one doesn't like the other and would try to fight him and they're big dogs and I'd be in the middle so would end up in hospital anyway, being a drain on resources.

I'm trying to source a cheap treadmill and I have a jump/poles/training gear if I need to train instead.

Mornings I just let them have a run in the garden or stand at my gate/walk up and down verge with 8m flexi so they can clean themselves. Then walk in evening, alternately, as has been suggested on here.

Yes, I have a bit of a grass verge area outside my house too, so could possibly just walk him up and down there in the mornings for "toilet" purposes, then go for a proper walk in the afternoons, which I prefer. As for reporting my neighbour, well, I have absolutely no intention of doing anything of the sort. We all have to live together when this thing is done and gone. But it's an interesting scenario ... she works at a branch of one of the large supermarkets in the nearest town. As such, she is a key worker and it could be argued that she is exposed to risk much more than most of us simply from meeting customers daily. But, she also has 2 school age kids (young teens) and her husband at home and, obviously, comes home to them every day, so must be mindful of the risk.

So, just where do you draw the line as far as a person either being a possible risk to others by going out twice a day, or being at greater risk themselves from being out and about more than once a day? In saying that, I fully accept that the rules are the rules, but it must have been a similar thought process which resulted in the rules in the first place. I'm just glad I didn't have to make the decision.

Expo

Visit site
Um, well done on you for doing your bit volunteering etc, but your visit to do your share horse counts as your daily exercise. You aren’t then supposed to walk your dogs on top of that.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-people-with-animals

Advice if you do not have symptoms of coronavirus
You may leave your house to exercise once a day and you should combine this with leaving your house to provide care for your horse or livestock.’

It is essential that you minimise the time spent outside of the home and remain 2 metres away from others. You should remember to wash your hands before and after contact with any animals.’

Flippin' 'eck .... hadn't seen this. I'm stuffed!!!! Just can't see a way of combining doggy walking with pony visits ARGH!!!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have walked my dogs twice a day for many years but have now changed their morning walk to lunchtime and trying to keep them occupied in the evening instead of their walk. i walk across the village green which is very open so i can see if anyone is around and this takes me direct to the fields where i can see for miles, i hardly ever see anyone closer than 50 yards as we can make sure that we walk the opposite side of the fields if we see anyone. everyone here is being very sensible and doing everything right so i feel ok here but not so happy when i have to shop..

skinnydipper

Visit site
For anybody struggling to understand the Government guidance here is the definition of should from Collins dictionary:

You use should to give someone an order to do something, or to report an official order.

You use should when you are saying what would be the right thing to do or the right state for something to be in.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I cannot combine looking after the horse (who today yanked his water drinker off the wall so I had to sweep out his stable/move mats/lug water buckets) with walking the dogs. One of the yard dogs is very DA and bigger than mine! She goes up and down the lane with various liveries/staff to catch in. Coming across her with Zak in tow would be horrific.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I seriously doubt that the CPS would dream of prosecuting for the neighbour having a friend round etc. Police may well issue on the spot fines for infractions if they see them.

druid

Visit site
I’ve just got told off by my police officer friend for my daily rant because apparently I’m going to have a massive RTC on my 10 minute drive down deserted country lanes and use all local resources that are hard pressed as it is..... hmmm ?

That's the thing, no one forsees the serious or fatal RTC. It blindsides you. There was a fatal crash on a very quiet back road near us last year, never usually pass a vehicle there but a stray dog (ran off from local walking spot!) caused a driver to swerve, he hit a tree and died in hospital two days later. It can happen. It's about lowering risk

Smitty

Visit site
What a waste of Police resources.

I wasn't suggesting anyone ring 999, but there is an online reporting system set up on my Force's website specifically for reporting lock down infractions, so I am not sure how that would be wasting resources. Presumably the police decide what they are going to follow up themselves.

I would expect to be reported if I breached any of the lock down rules and as the question of driving to exercise dogs is so ambiguous, I will not do that either as unsure how my car insurers would view the journey in the event of a claim.

It will be interesting to see whether Farage gets a slap on the wrist for his admissions.

{97702}

Visit site
That's the thing, no one forsees the serious or fatal RTC. It blindsides you. There was a fatal crash on a very quiet back road near us last year, never usually pass a vehicle there but a stray dog (ran off from local walking spot!) caused a driver to swerve, he hit a tree and died in hospital two days later. It can happen. It's about lowering risk

Yes I completely understand that argument, I really don’t need it explained to me - I just happen to have risk assessed the activity somewhat differently myself. It’s a personal view, it doesn’t happen to change what I am actually doing which, as I’ve said, is abiding by government guidelines