wither problems

Visit site
my thoroughbred has high withers and so her rugs rub her in the winter when she has more off them on. I have taken one or two off and put an anti-rub vest on which seems to be working but now she has a large pink bald patch right on the top of her withers. I am scared to take off the skin when i ride. has anybody got any ideas of how to strengthen the skin to protect itself and to get her hair to grow back? someone said put cornier crescent on it. Advice please xxx
confused.gif
<font color="purple"> </font>

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Chap I used to know had a veteran Arab who had the same problem. He bought some sheepskin fabric and sewed a big piece under the wither bit on every one of his horse's rugs and that did the trick. If your numnah rubs the sore area, I'd recommend not riding until it had a chance to heal.

cptrayes

Visit site
"I have taken one or two off" - How many rugs does she have on? If you have taken two off, then she must have had at least three on.

If she rubs only in the winter "when she has more of them on" then wouldn't one good thick-filled rug be a much better idea than three piled on top of each other?

Izzwizz

Visit site
As above, one good rug and get some sheepskin material and attach a square over withers to underside of rug. Less rugs = less weight on your horses back.